Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #2341
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Photography Thread

Brad. Shutter life on a d200 is 100k actuations so I'd say you still stole it
Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #2342
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

But you have to understand the perspective....I have gotten 'lucky' so far, so very lucky.
My D70 has 1008, my sisters, about 2400. Now as you know, that doesn't mean "LUCKY".
in fact it could mean TAINTED. As in 'never was worth a $hi+ and was passed around from
sucker to sucker. I had no baseline on IQ, and hell, IQ was never something people
attributed glowingly to the D70. SO what did I know? I have had a real knack for getting
low Shutter counts on these items so far. But after holding it, shooting with it, looking at
the pics, I am quite happy with it [and wish I had gotten it for $75].

I decided a month ago that I did not intend to go full frame, unless I retire and decide
that the PITA that is wedding photography was something I wanted to do, and even then,
I am not sure I would necessarily go Full Frame. My lenses are all used, and outside of the
cheap 50mm I got and the 35mm DX 1.8, I don't think I spent over $100 on anything I have.
I figured why tempt fate with FF, seeing what the outer edges of my image circle have in store?
I do not want to necessarily go into a collection of outstanding lenses, so to go to a D700 would
be a 'loose board at the top of the stairs' for me. YES I want it, I held it and shot it and knew
I WANTED IT. But even for a beat up model, it was still $1200. And boy did you ever say it right.
Had I not bought ANY of my $75-150 cameras, I would have enough for that D700 today.
I did not want you to be right, I have had a BALL buying and shooting and passing on all these cameras.
But knowing all I do now, MAN would I love to have every cent back. I would still SPEND IT ALL,
but I would spend it much differently. The only thing that remains really good is that there are
three very happy people now with DSLRs and I still like that better than ONE happy dude.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #2343
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

OK here are my pix from yesterday with 60D and the Olympus

FROM THE OLYMPUS

P4170013 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

P4170021 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

P4170018 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

P4170016 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

P4170007 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #2344
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

MORE FROM THE OLYMPUS

P4170005 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

P4170004 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

P4170001 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #2345
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

OK THESE ARE FROM THE 60D

1 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4268 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4292 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4283 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4278 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #2346
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

MORE

IMG_4271 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4269 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4264 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4263 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4255 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #2347
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

AND MORE

IMG_4247 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4245 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4244 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4242 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4241 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #2348
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

LAST GROUP

IMG_4239 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4238 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4237 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #2349
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I like the Silhouettes and the last gull the best, the one with the reflective surf line, and also the gull with the
black head. I also like the one where Crystal is looking out at the incoming surf and you can see the 'fear' in
her eyes, or at least what has to be intense concentration and being on the edge of her ability to control the
situation.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #2350
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

it was really BRUTAL in the beginning. The sun was so bright and the water glare was insane.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #2351
OLS
Suck It

I am always someone who likes a silhouette shot, they just force you into another brain place where I think
you appreciate the capture more. Every shot has it's place, but silhouettes are SO strong to me. I was even
wondering why you did not attempt one of THESE SHOTS, but the water quality is not anywhere near the same,
I now realize. But when I saw that camera, and heard where you were taking it, this is what I thought of.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #2352
OLS
Suck It

I also want to make sure people realize, when I say I stole the D200, I realize that it is no longer a great
camera in comparison to the cameras that are current, or even the used cameras one or two generations
behind. But remember that my first DSLR was a D70 and my second was a D100. Having not been too deep into
menus yet, and understanding that it is not a D700 F.F. camera, I am still tickled by the sheer weight, the improved
image quality, and not surprisingly for an old fart, the bigger LCD. I CAN SEE what I am screwing up now, whereas
before I just screwed up blindly. If I act like I just won the lottery, I kinda did. I love the price I paid for my D70,
and I can take a great photo with it. If I concentrate REALLY hard, lol. This new used D200 looks like a 67 Corvette
Stingray to me.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #2353
OLS
Suck It

OK, NOW I done stoled-ed it.

I did not want to mention this since I have already bored you all to tears with my used
camera stories. But now it must be told. I bought a D90 used at Ado the other day.
It was $200, and according to them, 'it would not autofocus'. Now they are one of the
two largest camera retailers operating today. They should KNOW well enough if the
auto-focus is not working. But for the large-a55 screen on the back, which as discussed,
I need, cause I am old, and for the likely increased image quality due in part to the better
Megapixel rating and auto dynamic range enhancements and even chromatic aberration
correction in-built, I figured it was a fine place to stop this crazy buying, as I already
had a likely useless D200 in-bound with a command dial that "is very hard to turn". We know
how that went if you have been following along. But in the end, I am trying to justify the
large expenditure, since it is getting a little over the top now with all these bodies on hand.

So I get the D90 in, an item that is generally $400 for a beater, and a $5-600 dollars for
a clean one. I paid $200 for it. So half price either way, but 66 percent off since when
it arrives today, it is super clean. Now I told you how I felt about that, they are the first
or second-largest online camera retailer in the world, they have professional evaluators
to judge what's what when they get used gear in. So I set the camera up how I want it
and go over to the nursery to shoot. So I shoot a ton of pics, focusing the lens
and having no trouble seeing the shot. I mean, when you are old like me,
things are out of focus, sure. But when they come into focus, you can see the difference,
in that its LESS blurry than it was. And with the diopter, it's crisp enough
for me. Is it a hassle? Yes it is, but for the quality of the camera, it's well worth it.
So after I shoot and am ready to go, I think, OK, let me cycle through the autofocus
modes to test and see if ANY of em work. But I am hunting over the body to find the
mode switch, and I can't find one. But what I DO find is that the selector switch that
takes you from manual to autofocus is in manual. Now I don't want to get too excited,
because I am focusing manually, and there is no way to do otherwise with the switch
in that setting, it locks the lens out.

So I flip it to AF, point it at a rosebud, and it pops right into focus.
Now after reading ALL THAT, you probably knew what was coming
anyway. But I could have dropped a No.2 in my shorts right there
on the spot. Here is a camera I gladly paid $200 for, KNOWING it had
a critical flaw, and having no idea how it would look abuse-wise
when it came in to boot. But instead of all that being one way,
it was all completely the other way, but the price is still $200.
I end up getting a pristine camera in all ways for the cost of a
'dump it cam'.

I don't know whether to STOP LOGGING IN to Ado immediately
for fear that is the extent of the luck I have in me, or whether to
buy every item I see that I am willing to chance. Obviously the
answer is the first one, I have everything I need now. And I DID
buy two eyepiece rubbers to replace the ones on my incoming
cameras since it is ALWAYS the first thing that gets lost on these
cameras. And they both have their original rubbers. So sure, I am
out 8 bucks. Oh no.

And that's that. I am sending my sister the D50, keeping the D70 for it's
1/500th flash sync speed, and giving my D100 to my friend in NO. I now
have the perfect bag, 5hit lenses or not.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #2354
OLS
Suck It

Nikon D90 out the window shot, and cropped from the larger image....didn't realize til much later
I was in manual mode, so the shot is just a lucky exposure. I later produced the flower once I checked
the exposure mode and ramping up the shutter speed to correct the exposure. Derh. This is the worst
lens I own. So I imagine the camera is great with a 50mm 1.8 on it.

This is the kind of neighborhood I work in.

Luckily when you need to test out a new camera, we also have a nursery.
Damn camera seems to have nice dynamic range. It isn't even set up yet. I have no idea of where it is set
for now. This one was just finally figuring out it was in manual and adjusting the shutter speed to bring the
exposure down.

Last edited by OLS; 04-18-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #2355
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

D90 is what I had. GREAT camera. Yes u stole it
Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #2356
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
OK, NOW I done stoled-ed it.

I did not want to mention this since I have already bored you all to tears with my used
camera stories. But now it must be told. I bought a D90 used at Ado the other day.
It was $200, and according to them, 'it would not autofocus'. Now they are one of the
two largest camera retailers operating today. They should KNOW well enough if the
auto-focus is not working. But for the large-a55 screen on the back, which as discussed,
I need, cause I am old, and for the likely increased image quality due in part to the better
Megapixel rating and auto dynamic range enhancements and even chromatic aberration
correction in-built, I figured it was a fine place to stop this crazy buying, as I already
had a likely useless D200 in-bound with a command dial that "is very hard to turn". We know
how that went if you have been following along. But in the end, I am trying to justify the
large expenditure, since it is getting a little over the top now with all these bodies on hand.

So I get the D90 in, an item that is generally $400 for a beater, and a $5-600 dollars for
a clean one. I paid $200 for it. So half price either way, but 66 percent off since when
it arrives today, it is super clean. Now I told you how I felt about that, they are the first
or second-largest online camera retailer in the world, they have professional evaluators
to judge what's what when they get used gear in. So I set the camera up how I want it
and go over to the nursery to shoot. So I shoot a ton of pics, focusing the lens
and having no trouble seeing the shot. I mean, when you are old like me,
things are out of focus, sure. But when they come into focus, you can see the difference,
in that its LESS blurry than it was. And with the diopter, it's crisp enough
for me. Is it a hassle? Yes it is, but for the quality of the camera, it's well worth it.
So after I shoot and am ready to go, I think, OK, let me cycle through the autofocus
modes to test and see if ANY of em work. But I am hunting over the body to find the
mode switch, and I can't find one. But what I DO find is that the selector switch that
takes you from manual to autofocus is in manual. Now I don't want to get too excited,
because I am focusing manually, and there is no way to do otherwise with the switch
in that setting, it locks the lens out.

So I flip it to AF, point it at a rosebud, and it pops right into focus.
Now after reading ALL THAT, you probably knew what was coming
anyway. But I could have dropped a No.2 in my shorts right there
on the spot. Here is a camera I gladly paid $200 for, KNOWING it had
a critical flaw, and having no idea how it would look abuse-wise
when it came in to boot. But instead of all that being one way,
it was all completely the other way, but the price is still $200.
I end up getting a pristine camera in all ways for the cost of a
'dump it cam'.

I don't know whether to STOP LOGGING IN to Ado immediately
for fear that is the extent of the luck I have in me, or whether to
buy every item I see that I am willing to chance. Obviously the
answer is the first one, I have everything I need now. And I DID
buy two eyepiece rubbers to replace the ones on my incoming
cameras since it is ALWAYS the first thing that gets lost on these
cameras. And they both have their original rubbers. So sure, I am
out 8 bucks. Oh no.

And that's that. I am sending my sister the D50, keeping the D70 for it's
1/500th flash sync speed, and giving my D100 to my friend in NO. I now
have the perfect bag, 5hit lenses or not.
For a long time I've been of the mind that bodies just don't have the same staying power that they did when we used film. Digital gets obsolete so quickly. The Nikon F2 was a workhorse in the 70s and the F3 followed suit through the 80s and into the 90s. But I gotta say, the D90 has changed my mind. It has legs. That's a great score!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #2357
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
For a long time I've been of the mind that bodies just don't have the same staying power that they did when we used film. Digital gets obsolete so quickly. The Nikon F2 was a workhorse in the 70s and the F3 followed suit through the 80s and into the 90s. But I gotta say, the D90 has changed my mind. It has legs. That's a great score!
It's true though. Good glass trumps body upgrade.

Done shooting for the night. Ill try to get some pix up before the cruise
Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #2358
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Here's the pictures I shot tonight/this morning fellas. Well the digital ones. I shot some 35mm too though.

Fire Spinners!

1st guy.

IMG_4342 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4344 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4343 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4350 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4349 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #2359
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

2nd guy. Set 1. His name's David

IMG_4363 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4361 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4362 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4360 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4359 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #2360
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

More of David

IMG_4358 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4357 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4356 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4355 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

IMG_4354 by emopunker2004, on Flickr