Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #81
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: pistol or cigars?

it is amazing what people do not notice
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #82
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
it is amazing what people do not notice
True, but I'm including family when I say that. If the people who know you best don't notice, who else is going to?

My holster has a similar "FBI cant" to the one pictured. It causes my pistol lean forward slightly. It helps keep the grip from poking out the back of my shirt and makes it easier to draw from the strong side (as opposed to a cross-draw).
Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #83
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan King View Post
Who ever said they're difficult for a small guy to conceal? They're quite easy as they are thinner than most polymer pistols.

With a good IWB holster a 1911 can disappear under a t-shirt:

I agree!! This is very similar to my IWB, and my S&W 915 and HK USP both print a lot more than any of my 1911's.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #84
mscales

I am a firearms dealer so I say, why not have both.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #85
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

second question to add onto this. what kind of safe should be used or how should the weapon be secured at night or other times when not within arms reach. but still reasonably accessible.

something like this..http://www.gunsafes.com/GunVault-Mic...lt-MVB500.html
a trigger lock or what is recommended?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #86
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Since I don't have little ones running around yet and most of my friends are cops or know I'm a cop with a bunch of guns I keep mine somewhat hiden out of sight around the house. Down stairs there is a mossberg 500 and up stairs I have my off duty xd 40 within arms reach. Also depending the day my rem 870 is also close by and my ar is ready to go. However when I go out of town or have people over I remove all ammo except for one hand gun and store it in another room while my weapons go in locked cases in my closet which I put a lockabke door knob. When I buy a house one of the first things I am getting is a floor safe for all the weapons that will be bolted to the floor.

Just remember don't keep the gun where people would expect you to keep it or out in plain sight. Also NEVER leave it in your car.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #87
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

If its in a safe how does it protect you. However, they do make a biometric safe that is very fast to open, but not all of them are reliable. I keep mine next to the bed in a holster that hooks on to the bed rail. I also don't have any kids in the house so I dont have to worry about that and I take it with me when I leave the house in the morning.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #88
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

I carry an XD40 subcompact. I love it and it is the most reliable gun I have. it will fire any amo without a problem.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #89
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
second question to add onto this. what kind of safe should be used or how should the weapon be secured at night or other times when not within arms reach. but still reasonably accessible.

Should always be within arms reach. Also skip all the BS storage and locks. Guns usually have a safety, that's more than enough.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #90
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

The reason behind the safe/need for safety is there will be a little one in the house. Also, being from the north. Im having to argue owning guns with my parents, when i return from the army.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #91
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I have a little one in the house who is curious.

Although I have discussed the danger of guns, I keep my pistol in a gunvault on my nightstand.

It has the finger locking device and I can get into it in the dark in about 2 seconds.

It's easily transported and has al ocking cable.

When I travel by car, it comes with me to the hotel and locks to my nightstand there as well and stores my watch and other valuables if I am in the pool.

It gives me peace of mind that a safety wouldn't.

Besides that, I carry a revolver.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #92
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
The reason behind the safe/need for safety is there will be a little one in the house. Also, being from the north. Im having to argue owning guns with my parents, when i return from the army.
you could keep the magazine separate from the pistol. for example the pistol can be in your night stand in a old cigar box for example and the mag can be under your pillow area between the mattress.

also you can load a spent shell in the chamber of the gun and put it in a good holster by your bed. depending how old the little ones are they most likely cant rack it back to spit the casing and if they pull the trigger nothing will happen.

the best thing to do if i were you is show you kid/s the gun and talk to them about it. tell them if they ever see yours or a gun anywhere that they need to tell you. teach them how dangerous it is and explain the purpose of it. if you can maybe take them to a range so they can see it fire and even let them fire it. the younger you teach them to respect the fire arm the better.

remember kids will be kids if you really wanna get a safe i would just get a small combination style (the ones that have the 3 little wheels like a brief case) you can just leave it a few numbers off so you can access it "quickly"

remember nothing will be quicker that a easy to reach loaded gun but like you said you have to account for the safety of the little ones. if you want a home defense weapon then i would get a 12ga and lock up the pistol.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #93
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I used to keep my Kimber cocked and locked on my nightstand until I had little ones. Now I have one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Secur...ducts&Ntt=safe

For $79 you can't beat it. You can keep more than one pistol or just one and a ton of extra mags, flashlight, etc. It has a 7 digit progammable number combination, and a hard-key backup. It is very quick to open. Not quite as fast as the one you posted, but it is also less than half the price.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #94
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

BE SAFE - and that is a good way to do it when little ones are the risk, you can keep it anywhere that fits your needs without worrying (and in many states it is the law) but it is still quickly accessible. If theft is your risk that has no value.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #95
Will herf for food

VR

Drez makes a good point too. A 12 gauge is actually the best home defense weapon, but they are not easy to keep loaded and locked up. Educating the little one is best, but if you're at your parents place it is not always your choice.

Nice thing about a shotgun is less wall penetration (depending on shot size) . This will help prevent unintended persons from getting shot in the next room or house. Shotguns are also very easy to "point" shoot; where specific aiming is not really required.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #96
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Let's not get into the shotgun home defense talk. Ill be getting one but once I have my own place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Devanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #97
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Let's not get into the shotgun home defense talk. Ill be getting one but once I have my own place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gotcha. One thing I would avoid is a trigger lock. The instructions say NOT to put one on a loaded weapon. Kind of defeats the point of having a gun in the house if you have to unlock the trigger lock, then load it, then defend yourself. Any small electronic safe would be better than that.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #98
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:

that's the one I have, except mine is a little bigger, has a shelf, and a light.

Got it for about 100 bucks on Ebay
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #99
dogface_313

What is the purpose of the pistol, home defense, every day carry, sport shooting, or some other desire. What is your budget, how often are you going to shoot?

every day carry I would go with a 1911 style pistol that you can carry condition one cocked and locked. My recomendation would be a Kimber Super Carry Ultra.

Home defense? I wouldn't get a pistol. Get an AR, get Hornady TAP ammunition, mount a weapon light to it. People may disagree but look into "over penetration" the right 5.56 ammo is less likely to over penetrate and hit somebody you don't want it to vs pistol ammunition. When somebody suggests a shotgun with bird shot look at them strange.

Sport shooting? Glock or XD(m). Both are very fun to shoot.

whatever you do get look at your budget that you have for both the weapon and ammo. cut it in half. use half to buy the weapon, the other half to buy ammo. get said weapon and ammo and shoot shoot shoot. if it is for everyday carry practice shooting from varying postions, moving forwards, sideways, backwards, one handed, two handed. if you are going to carry a weapon make sure you know how to use it, but most importantly when to use it.

ok, getting off the soap box now.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #100
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Getcha a glock. Get it before you separate and you can get a .40 S&W glock for around 420 give or take.
emopunker2004 is offline   Reply With Quote