Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough
Default Graycliff 1666 Presidente

Size – 7 x 48
Shape – Churchill
Wrapper – Ecuador
Filler – Bra., Hon., Nic.
Binder – Ecuador

Nice solid roll. Very dark, oily, leathery wrapper. Light tobacco aroma prelight.

First third
Initial draw very chocolaty with a full creamy mouth feel. Draw is good. Long and dry cedar aftertaste. Peppery nose exhale. It quickly leaves a tingly feeling on the palate with clove flavors. The flavor eventually lightens up near the end of this third leaving only a light tobacco taste with a light mocha aftertaste.

Second third
Burning well. The flavor profile picks back up in strength a bit. Leather and tobacco with hints of licorice. Medium mocha aftertaste. Flavor staying consistent throughout this third.

Last third
Still consistent in flavors of leather and tobacco with a light mocha aftertaste. Burning very well with a good draw. At the end the strength really picks up with very heavy and slightly bitter tobacco flavors.

Conclusion
This was an OK cigar…not great by any means. The construction was very good and the flavors mostly pleasant with the exception of the very last draws. I would like to see more complexity.

tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Graycliff 1666 Presidente

Very nice review. Thanks. I found this cigar to be great through the 1st (2) 1/3rds and then it introduced a god awful amonia taste. Any amonia for you?
Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Yeah the last third took a turn for the worse...I believe the bitterness I described could also be described as ammonia. It was good up until that point.
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I like the little "knuckle" size, but it only comes in the flight sampler. I've found construction to be hit or miss on these but the flavors are usually pretty good. Not a wow cigar, but a good solid smoke.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

I'm right there with you guys. Pretty decent in the first 1/2 then it gets a little funky.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I've had the Presidente and Toro, and I thought the flavors were pretty good throughout.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I'm right there with you guys. Pretty decent in the first 1/2 then it gets a little funky.
Must Be Why They're "Discounted"!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Was thinking the same thing Greg!! The one I have torched was ok... nothing to write home about. Gonna let them rest awhile and try again.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Was thinking the same thing Greg!! The one I have torched was ok... nothing to write home about. Gonna let them rest awhile and try again.
Have Some Resting For 1 year now That I Need To Try. Had one ROTT And It Was Just OK.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I believe the reason you find these discounted(especially compared to the balance of the Graycliff line) is that they are not rolled by Graycliff. They are made in Nicaragua at another factory. In fact, you will not even find these on the official Graycliff site.

A decent smoke, but I have found them a bit "rough" compared to the other cigars from Graycliff.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I believe the reason you find these discounted(especially compared to the balance of the Graycliff line) is that they are not rolled by Graycliff. They are made in Nicaragua at another factory. In fact, you will not even find these on the official Graycliff site.

A decent smoke, but I have found them a bit "rough" compared to the other cigars from Graycliff.
Thanks For The Info, Bob!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

The 1666 is the only Graycliff that I have smoked. I liked it, but like everyone else has said, it's nothing to write home about. I smoked one (a Pirate) while taking the kids around the neighborhood on Halloween night. Flavor was good throughout, no ammonia whatsoever.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote