Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #21
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Snus?

Thanks for the post! I'll need to find some General Snus
Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #22
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Just tried it for the first time last month. Steve (fissure) let me try some Swedish Snus, General White/Mini-Portion Mint.

To be honest I dont' smoke very much, maybe 10 cigars/month, and I noticed the nicotine. No buzz or anything, but it definitely was there. Since I had a hard time finding it so I tried some Camel Frost. The Camel pouches were larger, rougher, were overly sweet, and lost their flavor quickly. I also didn't notice the nic much.

I just found a local shop that carries Swedish Snus and bought some more General. I like it a lot better. They dont' have a ton, just one of those micro table-top fridges with 60-80 cans, but only 4 flavors. I grabbed of the same stuff Steve gave me, but eventually I'd like to try some of the natural tobacco flavored stuff.

I've read some good info about the differences between the American and Swedish stuff. Check out the link for more info...

User Review:
http://www.snuscentral.org/snus-revi...us-tastes.html

Nicotine Levels:
http://www.snuscentral.org/snusfaqs/...-snus-faq.html

Production Methods:
http://www.snuscentral.org/latest-sn...-snus-yet.html

The last article is most important. The Swedes have done some serious work to minimize potential negative effects of snus.
Thanks for the great post Mike

The last point is very important when regarding Swedish Snus such as General. They made Snus so they could get people to stop smoking. I'm pretty sure I read that the Swedes have the lowest amount of smokers in the world and many have used Snus to get off smoking. So they tried to formulate it to be as natural as possible.

I tried Snus after talking to Steve(fissure) about it. Having a little pouch of tobacco in my mouth is a big turnoff, and even putting it in my top lip still makes me want to spit.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #23
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Thanks for the post! I'll need to find some General Snus
No problem. The two sites I know of are:

http://www.getsnus.com

http://www.northerner.com

Unfortunately they are now applying some local state tobacco taxes. I've heard other sites are not. I found it cheaper to buy them one can at a time at the local B&M for $3.99/can. Good luck, it took a while to find a B&M who stocks it.

Last edited by 357; 10-04-2010 at 01:30 PM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #24
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Thanks for the great post Mike

The last point is very important when regarding Swedish Snus such as General. They made Snus so they could get people to stop smoking. I'm pretty sure I read that the Swedes have the lowest amount of smokers in the world and many have used Snus to get off smoking. So they tried to formulate it to be as natural as possible.

I tried Snus after talking to Steve(fissure) about it. Having a little pouch of tobacco in my mouth is a big turnoff, and even putting it in my top lip still makes me want to spit.
Having it in my upper lip doesn't make me want to spit. It does help to have a drink though cause I do get a little extra siliva. I've never dipped, so I don't have that reference or inclination to spit tobacco juice out.

Anyway, you're right about their processing. Per the last article:

Quote:
The bottom line is that for cigarette smokers, real Swedish snus is 98% less harmful to them than smoking. Camel SNUS is not. Despite FDA's incorrect warning labels, in the 40 years Swedish Snus has been regulated as a Food Product by the Swedish government, there have been no documented cases of mouth, throat, lung, or stomach cancer. That's why the Swedish equivalent of our FDA removed the cancer warning from Swedish snus a few years ago.

More info from:

http://www.northerner.com/articles/S...4981/SHOP-333/

Quote:
Snus use is more common than cigarette smoking among Swedish men, 22% vs. 14% in 20047. Approximately 50% of the snus users today in Sweden are ex-smokers. In the case of oral cancer, smoking (and alcohol) is a well-established risk factor. Several studies conducted in the 1990s, Schildt, et.al. (1998)8 and Lewin, et.al. (1998)9, found no evidence of an increased risk of oral cancer among users of Swedish snus. These findings offer an explanation why the incidence of oral cancer, as shown in Figure 5, is very low among men in Sweden compared with that in other countries, despite the high rate of snus use in Sweden. (Swedes are the only ones using smokeless tobacco extensively in Europe).
Old 10-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #25
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Did your local B&M have the new General Mint regular portion? I can get the mini mint, but no where seems to have the Regular/large portion Mint.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #26
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Did your local B&M have the new General Mint regular portion? I can get the mini mint, but no where seems to have the Regular/large portion Mint.
I don't think so. They only had mint and wintergreen. I grabbed the mini-mint, I didn't check to see if there was regular portion. I can look next time I'm there, but it could be a little while (weeks). I am just starting out on snus, so I only use 1 or 2 pouches per day.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #27
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
My local B&M has the regular portions.. I can pick you up some if you want
Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #28
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone tried the General Mini portions and General White Mini back to back? Any big difference?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #29
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Has anyone tried the General Mini portions and General White Mini back to back? Any big difference?
Not sure. Here is the nic level differences

Quote:
Swedish/Scandinavian Snus comes in 5 levels of Nicotine:

•None: This is Swedish Snus without any Nicotine
•Low: Usually found only in Mini-Portion sized snus, they generally contain 4-5 mg/g. of Nicotine.
•Mini Strong: Found only in Mini-Portion sized snus, this new category is designed for Mini-Portion Snus fans who want more nicotine. They generally contain 6 mg/g. of Nicotine.
•Standard: This is Swedish Snus that contains 8 mg/g. of Nicotine. This is the orally absorbed equivalent to one cigarette but will last longer in your bloodstream than inhaled nicotine.
•Strong/Stark/Sterk: This is Swedish Snus that generally contains 11 mg. of nicotine.
•Extra Strong/Ekstra Stark/Ekstra Sterk: This is Swedish Snus that generally contains between 12 mg/g to 17 mg/g of Nicotine.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #30
Will herf for food

VR

That said I believe all the pouches to be either .8g/pouch or 1g/pouch, just with different nic concentration levels
Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #31
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

I know each contains 4mg of Nicotine, just one is not moisturized at the end and the other is. I don't use snus that often, so it will undoubtedly be sitting in the can for a while. I know the Camel Snus' are stored in refrigerators, and I stored my tins just in a drawer and they dryed out a bit.

I'm just wondering if moisturized vs. unmoisturized means a change in flavor, otherwise I'm probably buying mini portions of the white.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #32
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Just popped a Nick and Johnny Strong in a few seconds ago.

I've been rotating between the following lately:
02 (13mg/g nic)
Thunder Wintergreen Extra Stark (16 mg/g nic)
Nick and Johnny Strong (12ish+ mg/g nic)
Skruf Xtra Stark (18-19 mg/g nic [est])

All have good flavor are enough nicotine that you notice they're in there.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #33
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
I know each contains 4mg of Nicotine, just one is not moisturized at the end and the other is. I don't use snus that often, so it will undoubtedly be sitting in the can for a while. I know the Camel Snus' are stored in refrigerators, and I stored my tins just in a drawer and they dryed out a bit.

I'm just wondering if moisturized vs. unmoisturized means a change in flavor, otherwise I'm probably buying mini portions of the white.
Not sure about moisturized vs. unmoisturized. The B&M by me had them in a mini display fridge that I believe was branded by General. From what I've read you should keep all swedish snus refridgerated unless it will be used in the next 24-48 hours. I'm sure many don't, but to each their own. You can freeze it for up to a year to keep it fresh, then thaw in the fridge before use.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #34
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

I might be the wuss of the group, but I can only take the mini's. Anything over 4mg and I start getting headaches.

Also: anyone try Goterberg Rape, and Goterberg Rape No. 2?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #35
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
I might be the wuss of the group, but I can only take the mini's. Anything over 4mg and I start getting headaches.

You're no wuss. I haven't tried anything larger than mini. Since I can tell they're there, I'm not going to move up to the larger portions anytime soon.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #36
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Not sure about moisturized vs. unmoisturized. The B&M by me had them in a mini display fridge that I believe was branded by General. From what I've read you should keep all swedish snus refridgerated unless it will be used in the next 24-48 hours. I'm sure many don't, but to each their own. You can freeze it for up to a year to keep it fresh, then thaw in the fridge before use.
Lol, guess I need a fridge in my dorm room then! Thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #37
croatan
Missing Peter

HUpmann

Quote:
Tried them both but wasn't impressed enough to ever order any more. Can't really describe them or tell you why I wasn't, though. It's been a while. Sorry. Also, they may not have had enough nicotine for me, so you probably shouldn't base anything on my take.

I don't refrigerate mine. Just try to get through cans when I open them. We did an experiment one night (after a few drinks) rehydrating some dried portions, though. Dipped them in vodka, let rest for a few minutes, and were good to go.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #38
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
Tried them both but wasn't impressed enough to ever order any more. Can't really describe them or tell you why I wasn't, though. It's been a while. Sorry. Also, they may not have had enough nicotine for me, so you probably shouldn't base anything on my take.

I don't refrigerate mine. Just try to get through cans when I open them. We did an experiment one night (after a few drinks) rehydrating some dried portions, though. Dipped them in vodka, let rest for a few minutes, and were good to go.
Haha thats a cool fix!

The Goterberg Rape No. 2 was recommended for those just starting snus or those who like Camel Snus. (I like the Camel Snus, but sometimes I can hardly taste the flavor).
Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #39
croatan
Missing Peter

HUpmann

Quote:
Haha thats a cool fix!

The Goterberg Rape No. 2 was recommended for those just starting snus or those who like Camel Snus. (I like the Camel Snus, but sometimes I can hardly taste the flavor).
Ok. That makes sense. Give it a shot, then. It's definitely better than Camel.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #40
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

PACT has made mailorder snus more expensive and has reduced the available brands by quite a bit for us US residents. I'm trying to make a decision on whether to keep buying as it is getting cost prohibitive to pay ~$3.50 per can and then pay $12.00 for the required UPS shipping then have to have someone over 21 sign for it. I'm one who has some snus going 6-10 times a day and really enjoy it. General White Portion is my goto but have recently been enjoying the new Ogden's which is more like straight tobacco than most of the others. I buy from getsnus.com. They are a Northener company.

MCS