Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #21
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shaving Facial Hair

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10851

A lot of good info here
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post
Old 04-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
uncballzer

You can use the back single blade of the fusion to do the close work around your lip. I too use the traditional wet shave with double edge safety razor, badger brush, and some kind of glycerine bar soap--gets a good shave for the most part, but I still have to use the fusion back blade daily to get around a slight mole underneath my nose that I can't get good enough with the safety razor. After I went to the safety razor and brush, shaving is the best part of my morning!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #24
jwintosh
i have a confirmation #!!

First Name: Jeffrey
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
jwintosh will become famous soon enoughjwintosh will become famous soon enough

holy cow! my dad never taught me any of this!! mach 3 w/edge gel. takes me all of 3 minutes. never tried a beard as it would take me years (and years). given up on trying a stache as it just looks ridiculous!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Anyone know where to find a good double edge razor for a good price. I think I might try a "real wet shave". I already have a good brush and some good after shave...just need a good razor and a good cream!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #26
AllOGistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
Anyone know where to find a good double edge razor for a good price. I think I might try a "real wet shave". I already have a good brush and some good after shave...just need a good razor and a good cream!

I recommend the Merkur HD.

This is where I got mine. Lee's

I'd also recommend ordering a variety pack of double-edged blades. This will give you a good place to start. I go to West Coast Shaving for sampler packs or ordering new blades. I also picked up my brush at the Art of Shaving.

Badger and Blade is a great place to start. They have tons of advice, tips, and reviews. I hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #27
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRicker View Post
= I have a Vagina

I use bic disposable razors and hot water. Nothing else. Thats how a real man rocks it!!
CLEANUP ON MONITOR 6!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #28
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOGistics View Post
I recommend the Merkur HD.

This is where I got mine. Lee's

I'd also recommend ordering a variety pack of double-edged blades. This will give you a good place to start. I go to West Coast Shaving for sampler packs or ordering new blades. I also picked up my brush at the Art of Shaving.

Badger and Blade is a great place to start. They have tons of advice, tips, and reviews. I hope this helps.
Thanks Greg...much appreciated!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #29
AllOGistics

I forgot to mention. Sometimes you can find good deals on ebay.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #30
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
www.classicshaving.com

www.vintagebladesllc.com

http://mamabearssoaps.com/ (GREAT SHAVING SOAP!)

i have no relation to any of the above vendors

Matt
Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #31
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

That badger and blade site seems to be the equivalent of what CA is to cigars.. Looks very good IMO
Old 04-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #32
kzm007

Holy...

thanks to all quite the expansive little list for just one question.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #33
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

A pair of pliers and a blowtorch.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #34
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Quote:
I've procured most of my stuff from West Coast Shaving.

I started with (and am still using) the Merkur HD (34C) razor. It's generally a consensus that it's the best "starter" razor for folks because it's forgiving but will still lend itself to advanced technique.

Blades are purely personal. I got the small sampler pack (though I'd recommend the large one) from West Coast. I started at the beginning and worked my way up to more and more "aggressive" (read: sharp) blades and, as I mentioned earlier, have really settled into the Japanese Feathers. But like I said, it's all about *your specific* beard, your skin, and your technique -- the comination of these things will determine what blade works best for YOU. If you do the sampler, spend at least one week using each type of blade -- don't switch brands every other day. Oh ... and just skip the Merkur blades. They're trash.

As for cream, check out the forums and reviews over at B&B. There are so many good things out there that it's hard to recommend just one. As such, I'll recommend two.
1. Proraso shave cream: you can get this at Bath & Body Works locally under the "Bigelow" (sp?) brand, which is the USA import version. It's menthol and eucalyptus and is very soothing.

2. Taylor of Old Bond Street: it's the sh*t. Really. I've been using it 3-5 times a week since early-January and couldn't be happier. Yeah, it's a tad pricey ($14); but it's SOOOO worth it. I'm using Rose and it's nice -- scent is very light and refreshing.

I forgot to mention earlier that after I rinse (first with warm, then with cold water), I use Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave. It's very soothing. The scent is mild and invigorating and goes away quickly (I'm very sensitive to perfumes and nothin I use is strong enough to bother me). Sometimes I'll use a Nivea Sensitive Skin Aftershave, which is nice too. I like the Proraso better, generally, though.

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #35
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
I've procured most of my stuff from West Coast Shaving.

I started with (and am still using) the Merkur HD (34C) razor. It's generally a consensus that it's the best "starter" razor for folks because it's forgiving but will still lend itself to advanced technique.

Blades are purely personal. I got the small sampler pack (though I'd recommend the large one) from West Coast. I started at the beginning and worked my way up to more and more "aggressive" (read: sharp) blades and, as I mentioned earlier, have really settled into the Japanese Feathers. But like I said, it's all about *your specific* beard, your skin, and your technique -- the comination of these things will determine what blade works best for YOU. If you do the sampler, spend at least one week using each type of blade -- don't switch brands every other day. Oh ... and just skip the Merkur blades. They're trash.

As for cream, check out the forums and reviews over at B&B. There are so many good things out there that it's hard to recommend just one. As such, I'll recommend two.
1. Proraso shave cream: you can get this at Bath & Body Works locally under the "Bigelow" (sp?) brand, which is the USA import version. It's menthol and eucalyptus and is very soothing.

2. Taylor of Old Bond Street: it's the sh*t. Really. I've been using it 3-5 times a week since early-January and couldn't be happier. Yeah, it's a tad pricey ($14); but it's SOOOO worth it. I'm using Rose and it's nice -- scent is very light and refreshing.

I forgot to mention earlier that after I rinse (first with warm, then with cold water), I use Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave. It's very soothing. The scent is mild and invigorating and goes away quickly (I'm very sensitive to perfumes and nothin I use is strong enough to bother me). Sometimes I'll use a Nivea Sensitive Skin Aftershave, which is nice too. I like the Proraso better, generally, though.
Thanks! The Merkur HD is what I was looking at, I have heard only good things about it. I will try those shaving creams, the sound really good. I also like the idea of the blade sampler pack. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #36
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwintosh View Post
holy cow! my dad never taught me any of this!! mach 3 w/edge gel. takes me all of 3 minutes. never tried a beard as it would take me years (and years). given up on trying a stache as it just looks ridiculous!
Exactly how I roll..... I never knew so many peeps got all involved with a shave.... Way back in the day I tried those disposable ones - suicide is more preferred to those POS.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #37
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Good info I am going to try some of this.

As someone with thick facial hair I have developed a standard pre shave process scrubbing the face before shaving. I tend to use the Zihr shave cream but still use a mach3 or fusion.

Does the double safety razor work well for thicker facial hair?
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #38
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Good info I am going to try some of this.

As someone with thick facial hair I have developed a standard pre shave process scrubbing the face before shaving. I tend to use the Zihr shave cream but still use a mach3 or fusion.

with an aggressive blade like the Japanese Feathers, yeah ... it make a helluva difference.

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #39
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

For anyone that is interested in getting into wetshaving I would highly recommend watching the videos by mantic59 the videos are very informative for a newbie, and surprisingly entertaining.

A couple things you should know before buying all the gear.

1. Your shave will take longer than 4 minutes. If your are used to putting on some shaving gel and going at it with one pass with a fusion don't be surprised if your first couple shaves take 30+ minutes.

2. Your first couple shaves may be pretty awful. Wet shaving with a Double Edge razor takes a certain amount of skill where as a spring headed cartridge takes about none

3. If you are completely satisfied with your shaves now you may not be any happier or perhaps even less happy with the results of a DE. Most men don't like shaving because it irritates their skin, dries out their face, they get razor burn or ingrown hairs. Using proper prep and proper shaving technique will help eliminate this, this means;
a. Hydrating,and softening the hair.
b. Shaving with multiple passes with the goal of reducing the hair each pass not shaving it off completely,
c. Shaving with a proper lather to protect and hydrate the skin
d.Using very light pressure to glide the razor over the face while holding the razor so that the blade is at the proper angle to cut not the heavy pressure needed to press a cartridge against the skin.

After a week or two you should start to see a difference and actually start enjoying your shaves or at least hate doing it less. Oh and you will be amazed at how close a single blade can cut over a 3,4,or 5 bladed razor.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #40
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Sharp blades like feathers work well also an "open comb" design works well. Something like this.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote