Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #61
kayaker

Default Re: Martial Arts - What Do/Did You Study

Thoughts on Jeet Kune Do?

I've only read a little about it, but understand that Bruce was very much into adapting whatever styles that work for an individual. I know that some followers have adopted it as a "style" and that others try to keep to Bruce's idea that it is not so much a style, but that it is almost a philosophy. Take the best of what is out there and use what works for you.

Is that a fair analysis?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #62
Hardcz

It's cool.... like I said previously though, if you study one style and expect it to be the best, you will fail. You need to take parts from each and apply it to yourself and situation to have a full understanding of it, and even then you still will be a student for life. Once you learn to accept this then it becomes easier.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #63
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
...if you study one style and expect it to be the best, you will fail.
Unless that art happens to be Sinanju!
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #64
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Unless that art happens to be Sinanju!

You wish, my Dan Fu will pwn ju!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #65
Cyanide

I agree that most styles are of equality, and the performance is more based on the practicioner.

Except Wado Riu and TKD. Wado rules, TKD drools. 'nuff said.

Ironically, my only multiple attacker situations all occured before any formal training. Having come from a fairly rough part of a fairly rough industrial town in the '80s you learned to play in the neighbourhoods through a "trial of fire". I went for months at a time where you would be expected to fight someone at least once a day. As I moved around alot, even within that city, I was always the "new kid". So, everyone wanted to know where you sat in the pecking order. Little did they know that this very tendency was giving me an unfair advantage. As I was always the new kid, noone had to fight as much as I did. With repetition comes compentence.

I only type this as its fun to tell stories from the past (I guess that's a sign of getting old?). I don't want to fight any of you....go pick on a newbie!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #66
Drat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
Drat, the thing is that TKD involves most of the technical principles that any other standing martial arts has too. As Kreth says below, it's the mcdojo that's made it seem like a worthless martial art. If, however, you know and understand the principles within your art, then you can apply it whether it's karate, TKD, judo or what. These mcdojos have everyone thinking that TKD is only about the high-flying kicks and so many people write it off as a viable martial art. But, guess what, there's other kicks and punches in there too. It's not the art that invalidates its viability, it's how it's being sold to the masses that's diluted it. TKD practitioners can have muscle memory just like anyone else. Again, it's how they train, know and understand the principles within their art that makes the difference.

Yep, totally.
Very valid point. I guess my experience has only been with the McDojos. I have come across too many TKD blackbelts who have proven absolutely NO actual ability to defend themselves in a practical fighting situation. I guess the real point of it is that anybody with enough knowledge of what real fighting is like will never get into one. That's an ego boost for me considering I've been in 3 "real" fights in the 20 years that I've been training...
Old 02-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #67
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

While we're telling war stories...
A few years ago my wife (gf at the time) and I were out at the bars, and some moron made a rude comment to one of her friends. I called him on it, words were exchanged, and he leans over real serious-like and says, "Look man, I've been kick-boxing for 3 years. I can kick you in the side of the head before you even move. You don't want none of this."
I said, "Gee, I've only been doing Japanese martial arts for a little over a decade. It's gonna be a shame when I snap your knee."
My wife's friend got an apology.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #68
kayaker

Before or after the knee snapping?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #69
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Before or after the knee snapping?
Before. I've found most of those guys are like the little chihuahua that barks his ass off. If he was gonna kick me, he would have. Since I didn't back down (and in fact raised his bet) he did...
Old 02-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #70
Cyanide

I think we can summarize that we are, indeed, all tough guys here.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #71
Hardcz

I'm a bad ass. One day Chuck Norris was crossing the street. When a bus hit him.. Of course the bus was instantly destroyed by the force of hitting Chuck. I told him that wasn't cool because he was jay walking. He said he was Chuck Norris and rules didn't apply to him, he was the rules.... That's when I laid the smack down. I walked up to Chuck, stared him down. When he started the thought process of how to get rid of me, that's when I swept his feet from under him, while he was still firing his little brain cells to decide how to take me out, I was punching him mid air, into the ground. Six months later he woke up punching the air. Apparently he thought I was in front of him when he came out of the coma.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #72
Tombstone

I have been studying Chuck Norrisdo for many years.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #73
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
I think we can summarize that we are, indeed, all tough guys here.

I killed a 6 pack once, just to watch it die...
Old 02-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #74
Hardcz

I make kids cry
Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #75
LordOfWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I killed a 6 pack once, just to watch it die...

I will readily state that I am not a tough guy. I have no real desire to be a tough guy. I do want to be a good bjj practitioner and improve myself physically and mentally through martial arts.

and when I'm done with that I want a good cigar
Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #76
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfWu View Post

I will readily state that I am not a tough guy. I have no real desire to be a tough guy. I do want to be a good bjj practitioner and improve myself physically and mentally through martial arts.

and when I'm done with that I want a good cigar
You could make an MMA career out of those two things combined. Get the guy in your guard then put out a Cremosa on his face for the submission.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #77
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

My escrima instructor has a great MMA story, some kid was telling him that his MMA style is better than others because of a particular hold. So my instructor (MMA guy himself but did not tell the kid) decided to give this kid the opportunity to prove it and allowed the kid to put a lock on him. Once locked, my instructor pulled out a knife, the kid freaked and let go yelling "what the hell are you doing!" my instructor said "you had me in a lock, I was going to stab you in the leg". The knife worked, the kid dropped the lock and my instructor now has a hilarious story to tell.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #78
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Closest I have is boxing. Boxed amateur growing up...had a good record if I do say so myself. 74-8
WildBlueSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #79
Hardcz

My belt is longer and thicker than your belt.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #80
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
My belt is longer and thicker than your belt.
We are gonna have to compare pictures.
WildBlueSooner is offline   Reply With Quote