Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough
Default Handcycles??

Alright anyone here ever use one? I used to love mountain biking and doing Triathlons before I got hurt and have not been able to get back into it yet. My Physical Therapist just recommended a hand bike and I am working with the WWP and some other organizations to try and get my hands on one. If I can get set up on one My Fiancée and I would like to go do the soldier rides this year. I was just looking to see if any of you out there have had any experience with these. What to look for, how hard are they to learn, what kind of hell am I looking at once I start training?
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Handcycles??

My son has used one in the past as part of his therapy. His was a trike, as he is only four, but he caught on quickly. His issues are more closely related to cerebral palsy and muscle coordination. He now uses a regular trike.
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Had to look up a picture. You'll get a barrel chest in no time using one of those!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

yeah. I use a stationary one in therapy now. Your shoulders and chest take a beating.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

My physical therapist is a stud and she has helped me do things the doc said couldnt be done so far. With that being said I am now looking at a Recumbent trike instead of a hand cycle possibly. Was fitted for one by a company that donates them to wounded warriors but I am really looking at getting started a lot sooner than it takes to wait for them. With that being said is there anyone out there who rides a recumbent trike?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

I thank you for your service and Hope you will soon be doing lots of things the doctor told you wont be able to.

You might check around for a good bicycle shop (one that builds mountain road and custom bikes) and see what they can help you with.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
With that being said is there anyone out there who rides a recumbent trike?
I own a recumbent bicycle for a few years now and have test ride tandem recumbent and trikes. They are a lot easier to ride than some may think, took me a few days to get used to gravity on the recumbent and less on the trike.As for physical limitations I cannot speak on them for I am a healthy middle aged man. However, as for comfort a trike or a recumbent to me is quite relaxing and less demanding on long road or uphill travels. The man that made the Volae brand Rolf Garthus that also owns the Recumbent bike shop called hostel shoppe in Steven point ,Wi has helped many of the companies out there with designs for Comfort and long biking. It wouldn't be a bad idea and talking to him about your physical needs. I'm not throwing you his way in hopes to help him out but to help you out by talking to a man that is compassionate and knows his stuff and will be able to lead you to a good fit even if its not one of his models or from him, he will suggest something that would fit your physical needs and may know a shop or way to get it near you. The man has been making these kind of designs building founding blocks for other companies for years and always has his ear to floor on whats new or what helps physical needs. He also has came into evolution with some of his patented seats,and recumbent designs that suit for comfort for long distances and a nurse that I bike with has a bad back and gets agitated from long rides in past has spoke great things about rolf's seats for past 4 years. Rolf is also I believe over 60 and still bikes quite a distance to his shop from home so knows what it is like to want to stay biking and not wanting limitations. I also tell people shopping for a recumbent or trike to maybe look at the used ones or last years or 2 years new models for price reasons if it is an issue. I think the hostel shoppe still has a classified section showing used bikes for sale and know that in their catalog a few months ago I saw an older model that was used for test drives was under $900 when it is a $1400 bike. I can always ask the nurse I go biking with if he still has the spare he made into a winter exercise recumbent and if he was looking to sell it, or my sister who has an old trike that isn't as comfortable designed as the new trike, which I myself would suggest. The newer the design the more comfortable and easy riding it will give you.

Last edited by CoreyD; 06-06-2011 at 01:07 AM.
CoreyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
yeah. I use a stationary one in therapy now. Your shoulders and chest take a beating.
I'm using one in my shoulder PT now. Easily the most effective warm up that I have available for the shoulder.

But oh my gosh I can feel it
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote