Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tell me about Pigeon Forge, TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
I'd have gone with Myrtle Beach. Like was already said, miles and miles of Atlantic beach and plenty to do for anybody. Plus, there's Nick's Cigar World
Oh yeah, Nick's in North MB. Beer on tap and lots of good smokes.

Both are good places to go - but the end of November time frame would push me to the coast.

Who doesn't love a fabulous seafood dinner in Murrell's Inlet?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #22
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Oh yeah, Nick's in North MB. Beer on tap and lots of good smokes.

Both are good places to go - but the end of November time frame would push me to the coast.

Who doesn't love a fabulous seafood dinner in Murrell's Inlet?
Dead Dog Saloon!!!!!!!! Great food, great entertainment!!! And don't let name fool you. Not a saloon as much as a restaurant with a bar, and live entertainment almost every day. If you ended up going to MB, you owe it to yourself to hit Murrell's Inlet!!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #23
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Appears she booked her "coupon" and I hesitate to say that since she has to attend a 2 hour time share bs presentation in Pigeon Forge, TN. They put us up in the Holiday Inn Express. Being a teacher she can only go over Thanksgiving really. We do wineries so I'm sure we'll look that one up while there. We may book one of those cabins that Brad recommended for a night as well. Thanks for the information everyone!
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #24
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

I like the NC side of the Smokies, specifically Bryson City and points nearby. Probably should keep my yap shut about how nice it is over there though, would hate to see Gatlinburg-ish crowds.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #25
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
I like the NC side of the Smokies, specifically Bryson City and points nearby. Probably should keep my yap shut about how nice it is over there though, would hate to see Gatlinburg-ish crowds.
Lol!! This Gatlinburg guy already knows about NC side's benefits! However, I can be sitting in a room on the Gatlinburg side in 4 hours or less, and can "sneak" into the area thru Wear Valley backroads and miss 100% of Pigeon Forge and it's traffic. Maggie Valley, Bryson City and such adds 1 1/2 to 2 hours (or more), with travel thru several areas that can have major traffic stoppages and no way around. The NC side has great views, less crowds and we have visited many times. Mostly, it's a time and access to amenity issue that puts us around the Gatlinburg area. OTOH, our best friends are 95% NC side, 5% Gatlinburg visitors!

The other thing against the NC side for us is that we can get comparable views, traffic, events and amenities in the NW Georgia mountains, at only 3 hours away. And like you, we hesitate to advertise the NW Georgia area for fear it will encourage traffic!!!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #26
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure you'll bring some cigars with you but there are two B&Ms in Gatlinburg that I know of. As you come into Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge you pass a few stores then the road comes to a Y intersection. On the right is Sweet Fanny Adams theater and a few doors up from that is a B&M. The other is called Gatlinburlier (link: http://gatlinburlier.com/ ) and it's on the 3rd or 4th floor of the little shopping mall just a little further up the street, directly across from No Way Jose's (good Mexican food) and Ripley's Aquarium. Gatlinburlier is where I picked up my first briar pipe, lo those many years ago.

Around Thanksgiving you say? Maybe my wife and I will need to take a day-trip down to Gburg around then, not that we'll want to intrude if you're off on a romantic getaway lol. We're just 2 hours up the road near Bristol, TN/VA.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
I'm sure you'll bring some cigars with you but there are two B&Ms in Gatlinburg that I know of. As you come into Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge you pass a few stores then the road comes to a Y intersection. On the right is Sweet Fanny Adams theater and a few doors up from that is a B&M. The other is called Gatlinburlier (link: http://gatlinburlier.com/ ) and it's on the 3rd or 4th floor of the little shopping mall just a little further up the street, directly across from No Way Jose's (good Mexican food) and Ripley's Aquarium. Gatlinburlier is where I picked up my first briar pipe, lo those many years ago.

Around Thanksgiving you say? Maybe my wife and I will need to take a day-trip down to Gburg around then, not that we'll want to intrude if you're off on a romantic getaway lol. We're just 2 hours up the road near Bristol, TN/VA.
Johnathan

When was the last time you were in Gatlinburg? I think when we were there for our son's wedding 20 months ago that the free-standing shop had closed. May have just not looked well, had other things on our mind

Gatlinburlier always had a better selection, and has an actual walk-in humidor, where the other store had only showcases (which they DID keep at proper humidity. The Gatlinburlier still has an excellent selection of pipes and pipe tobaccos, and if you bring your pipe in with you, they will give you a free bowlful for it!! When we were there in 2009, they had a full box of Sharks that no one seemed interested in! They sold it to me for $225 in a heartbeat.

I'd be interested to know if the freestanding shop still exist. The lady running it last time I went in there (probably 2008) was super nice and helpful, though not near as knowledgeable as Jeremy or myself, but still helpful and NOT pushy.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #28
Kycop34

I am still learning so there's not much i can contribute but maybe this will help some...

I was in Gatlinburg about 6 weeks ago as i was just getting interested in cigars, so i was on the lookout for any shops around.

I found the one on the top floor of the mall and it is still going strong and stil; offering the free samples for your pipe fill, about 20+ different tobaccos to choose form for that.

The little storefront on the right as you enter G'burg is actually in a strip building next door to the Hard Rock Cafe. There was a lady that ran it and large vertical display humidors on both walls. She seemed knowledgeable but then again to me anybody would seem knowledgeable. However, the point is they are still open for business and from the sounds of it nothing much has changed from the times when the previous posters were there.

Hope this helps
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #29
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Johnathan

When was the last time you were in Gatlinburg? I think when we were there for our son's wedding 20 months ago that the free-standing shop had closed. May have just not looked well, had other things on our mind

Gatlinburlier always had a better selection, and has an actual walk-in humidor, where the other store had only showcases (which they DID keep at proper humidity. The Gatlinburlier still has an excellent selection of pipes and pipe tobaccos, and if you bring your pipe in with you, they will give you a free bowlful for it!! When we were there in 2009, they had a full box of Sharks that no one seemed interested in! They sold it to me for $225 in a heartbeat.

I'd be interested to know if the freestanding shop still exist. The lady running it last time I went in there (probably 2008) was super nice and helpful, though not near as knowledgeable as Jeremy or myself, but still helpful and NOT pushy.
I too prefer the Gatlinburlier shop. Great people, knowledgeable and passionate (especially about pipes ) and a good selection of pipes, tobacco and cigars. The smaller shop by the Hard Rock Cafe was decent but not as large.

My wife and I were in Gatlinburg in early June. We caught a baseball game in Knoxville then spent the night, visiting Gatlinburg the next day before heading home.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #30
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycop34 View Post
I am still learning so there's not much i can contribute but maybe this will help some...

I was in Gatlinburg about 6 weeks ago as i was just getting interested in cigars, so i was on the lookout for any shops around.

I found the one on the top floor of the mall and it is still going strong and stil; offering the free samples for your pipe fill, about 20+ different tobaccos to choose form for that.

The little storefront on the right as you enter G'burg is actually in a strip building next door to the Hard Rock Cafe. There was a lady that ran it and large vertical display humidors on both walls. She seemed knowledgeable but then again to me anybody would seem knowledgeable. However, the point is they are still open for business and from the sounds of it nothing much has changed from the times when the previous posters were there.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. That explains why I didn't see it. It was in a free-standing building (small house-like log bldg) last time I was in it, maybe a block closer to Pigeon Forge than the Hard Rock. They have moved since I went into it several years ago. Last couple times, I've always gone to the Gatlinbulier.