Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Default Please read...credit card compromised

So I have only used my credit card lately for stogie purchases and or accessories. I have used some of the international pay sites in the last few weeks. I got a call from my credit card company asking me to confirm 2 recent charges on my account. Whomever got ahold of my charge tried to charge 2 different charges for $14 for Skype. I told the credit card company NO I did not authorize this and they immediately closed the account. Just saying be carefull out there...it can happen any place at any time...the last time this happened (about a year ago) I took the wife and kids to a local pizza joint and the server stole the number and charged things. I never would have guessed b/c the guy was very polite and I always tip well...you just never know.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation
Default Re: Please read...credit card compromised

I work for a credit card processor and see it everyday. It's almost impossible to protect yourself 100%. Just be careful and always check your account.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Just max your credit card out with cigar purchases and there wont be any room left for someone to make unauthorized charges
Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Linus

I recently had two credit cards compromised, including my business card to the tune of nearly $7000. In both cases, the CC Companies contacted me, revoked the cards, removed the charges and issued new ones. One of the things I give them credit for is that they now monitor purchases and know people's habits (both a good and bad thing, IMO). As a result, I got protected from someone trying to scam me. It's good that they picked up on the small purchases as well.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Yep, I have a friend here at work and he had the same thing happen to him. He noticed 2 charges on his account for the Wall Street Journal and he called his credit card company and told them he did not authorize. The credit card company said this happens all the time. What the scammer/thief will do is make a small charge to see if the card is valid and if it goes through then they do the large charges. It sucks....
Old 05-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

My wife was picking up food at Friendly's a couple weeks ago, and she noticed the cashier was typing on her cell phone while she was looking at my wifes card. WTF!?!?!

She canceled the card before she even pulled out of the parking lot. She cant prove that the girl was stealing her card #, but she couldn't disprove it either.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

It sucks for sure...you would think people that work for a living and know how hard it is to make a buck wouldn't steal......pisses me off to no end.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Dayum. Unbelievable. We remember when NOBODY had credit cards, and now there's an ad for a credit card company on every televison viewing.

Eliminate your cc's and the problem can just about be eliminated.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Just max your credit card out with cigar purchases and there wont be any room left for someone to make unauthorized charges
I like how you think.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
My wife was picking up food at Friendly's a couple weeks ago, and she noticed the cashier was typing on her cell phone while she was looking at my wifes card. WTF!?!?!

She canceled the card before she even pulled out of the parking lot. She cant prove that the girl was stealing her card #, but she couldn't disprove it either.
tell the manager, that girl needs fired
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Out of the blue, SunTrust sent my wife & I replacement debit cards this weekend. Something about a potential security breach involving a large quantity of account numbers. They said to their knowledge so far no one was hit (at least not our accounts, anyway...) but they were just taking some precautionary measures.

I don't know whether to feel relieved or more concerned. At least they were proactive.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

My CC company is also pro-active. They even checked out my own purchases overseas when they seemed excessive (must have the same thought process as my wife. )

Had a Discover card a couple years back that someone tried to buy a computer with and was caught by the CC company and new cards were sent.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Out of the blue, SunTrust sent my wife & I replacement debit cards this weekend. Something about a potential security breach involving a large quantity of account numbers. They said to their knowledge so far no one was hit (at least not our accounts, anyway...) but they were just taking some precautionary measures.

I don't know whether to feel relieved or more concerned. At least they were proactive.
The company I work for recently had a breach that we announced back in February. As a precaution a lot of banks and other card issuers are proactively sending out new cards. Only numbers were compromised, no personal info was taken, but it did happen and we took the appropriate measures to make sure it never happens again. Here is a website that we set up: 2008 Breach Website
Old 05-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
Lensjockie

My workplace had our personal data compromised.
Email accounts, bank info, personal data, and who knows what else.
37 new internet accounts later, at least as many charges, and a whole lot of time on the phone telling people yes it was my data but not me who did it, and we still are dealing with it.
In short turns out hackers sell the lists to each other and start the cycle over again.

You can always call the credit agencies and but a fraud alert, at least that is free.

Lensjockie
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

This kind of stuff sucks.. My CC was compromised at about election time. It was my credit card that sat in my dresser for 3+ months because it was still smoking from the CC purchases I have made.

I don't know if anyone remembers that a online credit card middle man got hacked and they got tons of peoples info.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear that. It's a good idea to frequently monitor accounts that are used for online purchases. Just in case, I only use a card with a low limit for these.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #17
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Fantastic approach!

Mine was also hit recently, for $579 at nflshop.com.
I actually caught it online and I thought my wife was being thoughtful for my upcoming birthday so I asked what she got me at the NFL shop..... she said 'nothing'....... reality then set back in and I realized that I had been screwed. Twice.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #18
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Fantastic approach!

I actually caught it online and I thought my wife was being thoughtful for my upcoming birthday so I asked what she got me at the NFL shop..... she said 'nothing'....... reality then set back in and I realized that I had been screwed. Twice.
Ouch, talk about a kick to the junk.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Fantastic approach!

No thrice screwed? You deserved it!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #20
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I just got a call from my bank. Someone tried to charge $20,000 and $10,000 against my card which had recently been used ONCE by a vendor.