Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Linus

Default A little trip to Havana Camacho Style

Cigar Name: Camacho Havana Toro (6 x 50)

Cigar Description: Jamastran Habano Criollo around Honduran grown, Cuban-seed Corojo long fillers

Cigar Strength: Full

Review of the Cigar itself: I am constantly trying to improve myself to be better for work, for myself and for my relationships. I recently began running. Well, more like walking with some running moments every now and again. I try to do it, at least, every other day. I do feel good after it but I do believe that all work and no play doesn't help one's over-all being. Eating healthy all the time and working out regularly is fine but now and again, one should enjoy the finer things in life.

Okay.

So not perfect but, eh. I'm happy. And that's the important thing, especially these days. I looked through my humidor to see what I haven't tried yet and came across the Toro. Perfect. Enjoy a full flavour to match my enjoyment of life and all it has to offer.

Taking the cigar out of the cellophane, my senses are heightened to the sweet aroma of a rich tobacco. This particular stick has a prominent vein running through it but that seemed the only flaw on this well-constructed cigar. I cut the cap off, eager to toast the end. The wrapper was a deep chocolate, veiled in the luscious oils that had risen to the top. It lit flawlessly and soon the deep, earthy scent came wafting through the air. As I took my first draw and exhaled, a perfect smoke ring emerged -- without any effort. Ah, the evening will be a good one.

The burn was consistent and even as the evening continue. Deep earthy tones with mild hints of leather tickled my tongue. The solid ash was a melody of white, grey and black,and it remained attached to the cigar until I tapped it off. Wonderful consistent earthy flavours with leather and pepper escaped from it without too much smoke and no one flavour overwhelming the others. Each was balanced just enough against the other. As I continued into the middle of the cigar, I had images of sitting in a sidewalk cafe with my beautiful girlfriend while the sounds of spanish and creolized music danced around us. A rich espresso for each as we both enjoyed a good smoke.

Ah, yes. Life is so much more than being healthy and safe all the time. I have learned that if we don't take a risk now and again we won't know what life really feels like because we're just by-standers while the whole world whizzes by. It's not about being monetarily wealthy that makes one enjoy the "good life"; it's all the non-tangibles that make it so: the friends, the family, the sense of being whole.

A little past the mid-point of the cigar, I tasted very rich creamy leather, almost hiding the peppery taste. I was a bit disappointed that this started to overwhelm the taste but it did eventually dissipate back to the wonderful flavour. My girlfriend returned home from a day with a friend and commented on how much she liked the smell of this cigar. When I told her what was in it, she gave me a blank look.

"You know that all I heard was whan-whan-whan", she said, mimicking the Peanuts teacher speak. I chuckled at this. I know she isn't into the details, history and such of cigars but she does know what she likes. When I described to her the image I had when I , she smiled. She knew exactly what I was talking about: a life of perfection that wasn't about wealth but just enjoyment of simple things.

As I got to the end of the cigar, the burn began to lopside a bit but it self-corrected quick enough. Deeper pepper tastes came out as I got closer and closer to the nub, something that had been reported by others who have enjoyed this cigar before me. I can definitely see why this is a popular stick to have. While not quite the meal that the Camacho Corojo Toro (Diploma) was, it definitely is a mouthful. This will definitely be one to add to the list of "WANT" for future purchases in addition to finger bandages for the nub burn.

Enjoyed with: water and a Coke

Smoke time: approximately 90 minutes

Final Review Rating: 8.7/10

Old 02-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: A little trip to Havana Camacho Style

I had one and didn't care for it too much. I was a newbie then though so I prolly should try another. Thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
Linus

Definitely not a newbie cigar and definitely a cigar to ensure you've had a meal before having.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Nice Review, Linus! Had one myself last week and thoroughly enjoyed it!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:47 AM   #5
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review. I just wish Camacho cigars were rolled as well as they are blended. I have smoked very few that didn't have a loose draw.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I like Camacho. I'll have to try this cigar. Thanks for the review.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road

Very nice, descriptive review. I like that you went into the details and circumstances around the whole smoking experience. Too many reviews are cold or clinical and I think that the experience should be captured as well.

Cheers,
Michael
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Nice review. I didn't care for the earlier Havanas but I think they changed the blend and I quite liked the current one.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
bigheadmark
Uncle Jun, how was Boca?

First Name: MARK
Trading: (1)
bigheadmark is on a distinguished road

Camacho cigars rock!!! I have smoked the Camacho Havana which I thought was excellent...I urge you to try the El Legend-Ario by Camacho also! another winner!
bigheadmark is offline   Reply With Quote