Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #841
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Would Blanton's be a good start for a bourbon newb?

I just know that I literally haven't quite shaken the smell of anything resembling Jack Daniels from a bad episode when I was 15 years old to get the idea to try bourbon/whiskey/scotch ever again.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #842
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Blantons is good, don't know if I'd start with it though. I suggest Eagle Rare to start out with.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #843
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Blantons is good, don't know if I'd start with it though. I suggest Eagle Rare to start out with.
I had some last night for the first time. Great bourbon!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #844
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Either that or some Basil Hayden. For me, it's a light, slightly spicy bourbon
Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #845
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post

I just know that I literally haven't quite shaken the smell of anything resembling Jack Daniels from a bad episode when I was 15 years old to get the idea to try bourbon/whiskey/scotch ever again.
Jack is sour mash whiskey and has a very unique smell. I don't think bourbon smells like it honestly. You should be fine. Regular Jack is not so good, but I do recommend Gentleman Jack. Tastes completely different, much more mellow and less harsh, not that nasty sour taste either.

All are great starting recommendations. I agree with all of them. I really did like the Eagle Rare 10 Year Single Barrel. Four Roses Single Barrel would be another great start. Both will run you roughly $35 a bottle. So not too pricey, and pretty common.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #846
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Jack is sour mash whiskey and has a very unique smell. I don't think bourbon smells like it honestly. You should be fine. Regular Jack is not so good, but I do recommend Gentleman Jack. Tastes completely different, much more mellow and less harsh, not that nasty sour taste either.

All are great starting recommendations. I agree with all of them. I really did like the Eagle Rare 10 Year Single Barrel. Four Roses Single Barrel would be another great start. Both will run you roughly $35 a bottle. So not too pricey, and pretty common.
I know bourbon, whiskey, and scotch are all a bit different, but they all smell close enough alike to me to bring back the memories (and lack thereof in same cases) that involved throwing up cool ranch doritos a lot. (And yes, I've never touched the cool ranch doritos ever since either.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #847
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I know bourbon, whiskey, and scotch are all a bit different, but they all smell close enough alike to me to bring back the memories (and lack thereof in same cases) that involved throwing up cool ranch doritos a lot. (And yes, I've never touched the cool ranch doritos ever since either.
I had a similar experience involving cheap whiskey and store brand Dr. Pepper about 10-11 years ago. Until recently I couldn't smell Dr. Pepper without feeling a bit sick.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #848
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Yeah....I have had a few of those stories as well. Jager, goldschalger and any cinnamon liqueur, I cannot even smell them!

Oh man that's brutal even the close smells throw you for a spin, well there's always run and tequila. I guess all you can do is try. Good luck!
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #849
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Blanton's would be a great start, albiet on the pricey side. Might put Bulliet on your to-try list. Half the price of Blanton's and easy to drink.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #850
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #851
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

OK Bourbon Drinkers of Tennessee, I am leaving Wednesday for my grandmothers house in Tullahoma. Anybody know a good store within say an hours drive of there?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #852
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Blantons may not be he best as a started, it is a very good bourbon but you need to have some experience with bourbons to appreciate Blantons.

To start out with, I suggest Old Fitzgearld, Old Forester, Old Grandad or probably the best choice may be Wild Turkey 101.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #853
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I like Eagle Rare a lot...with that I also drink Buffalo Trace, Old Weller, Woodford, Rittenhouse Rye, WT Rye..I am sure there are others but drinking makes you forget.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #854
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I don't think there are any rules as to starter bourbons. I don't think price is a rule when it comes to tastes, personally. There are expensive bourbons out there that I like, but also that I don't like. Same with cheaper bourbons.

Personally, I didn't care for Bullit. Gave the bottle away after two drinks. But, that's me and my tastes. Bourbon will be like cigars. Each will have his own taste, and will drink what he likes. I started liking bourbon with Marker's Mark. Thought it was the best, until I tried Woodford Reserve. Thought it was the best, til I tried Blanton's. Thought it was the best until I tried.... Well, you get the picture! I have had bottles of over two dozen bourbons at a time in the past. Still have over a dozen. I probably enjoy sippin' Conecuh Ridge more than most of them, but it's because, personally, I like molasses, and I get strong hints of molasses from that one, more than any other. But again, it's a personal taste thing!

One thing to note: ALL bourbons go downhill after they are opened. They oxidize. The longer they are open, the more they will lose quality. Thus, you are better served to have only a few bottles opened at a time, drink those up before you open new bottles. I try to finish any open bottles within a year or less. I'm not a nightly drinker, sometimes not even a monthly drinker. Thus, I seldom have more than a couple of bottles open at a time.

The best bet for those new to bourbon is to buy smaller size bottles to get an idea of the specific bourbons. Then, graduate to larger bottles for the ones you like the most. This will be a problem for many of the upper end bourbons, as they usually are bottled in 750 ml only (at least for my state). Good bars, with a good selection of top-shelve bourbons, is a good way to try them one glass at a time. While it may cost you $5- $10 or more for a glass, it's better than $75 or more for a bottle that you then find isn't to your liking.

I would suggest starting with the bourbons "neat". I'm not a fan of diluting bourbon with water. Some people use ice, which gives a "spectrum" of tastes, from almost neat at the start, to maybe half and half at the end as the ice melts. Personally, after I've had a sip or two neat, less bourbon and more water pales, and I lose interest. But, I usually take a good hour to enjoy a couple ounces of bourbon, because I truly sip slowly, and fully enjoy each sip. If I wanted to do shooters, I sure wouldn't recommend anything above $20 a bottle!

Again, all the above is MY preferences. And, just like cigars, those are going to be different with each person. For those looking for answers on the "starter" question, by all means, look at the suggestions here. However, DO NOT be discouraged because you don't find one or more of the suggestions to your liking. And, like cigars, remember, if at first the specific bourbon doesn't bring cheers of joy to your taste buds, don't dismiss it forever. Develop your palette, learn what you like, then go back and give the discarded ones another try. You might like it the second time around.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #855
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Santa dropped me a nice bottle of Blanton's in my stocking Christmas morning. That Santa is a pretty good wife.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #856
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Santa dropped me a nice bottle of Blanton's in my stocking Christmas morning. That Santa is a pretty good wife.
That's funny..I got one too!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #857
tx_tuff

Last two bottles I bought where Russel's Reserve (love it) and Makers 46, then was given a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my birthday (still unopened). So I have 3 bottles of bourbon, prob the most I have had at one time LOL. I really don't drink to much so they should last me awhile.

What sucks is every time I see this thread I want to go buy another bottle ha ha.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #858
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Nice! A very good pour.

The wife pays attention to me apparently, she handed me a bottle of VWFR 12yr. She said she didn't love me enough for the 23yr. :-(

I was hoping for a gift set of Wild Turkey, I like their glasses that come in the set. I guess I'm going a hunting for some myself.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #859
akakirby
Feeling at Home

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (20)
akakirby is on a distinguished road

I was just wondering if any knows if Pappy Van Winkle sells any of there Bourbon in the little airplane sized bottles, I would love to try some but cannot afford to buy a whole bottle, any of you all ever seen them?

I also got a set of Whisky stones for Christmas I cannot wait to try out!

http://www.teroforma.com/Set_of_9_Wh...nes_20187.html
akakirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #860
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Mrs. Claus left a bottle of George T Stagg in the stocking and a bottle of bakers under the tree.