Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #21
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice
Default Re: I need to bum advice from y'all.

I went away to college when I got my first degree, and it was a great experience (I'm sure my wife wouldve frowned upon me going away while getting my current degree ). I highly recommend stepping out of your comfort zone and just going for it. If you have the chance to visit the schools first, do it, you'll get a feel of the school and if it's the place for you.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

If you're looking for advice on particular colleges/programs in the SE, post up your selections and we can weigh in with opinions. My oldest graduated from Radford in May, and I have two high-school seniors that will be attending college in either VA or NC next year.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #23
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

I have had similar problems in the past. some of which I don't regret what i did, and another I regret a lot of not jumping on it.
when I first started college I thought I wanted Physical Therapy. I started at a very good school, well known (I'll leave the name out), and has a great rep in the field. When I got there, it wasn't the school for me. I was having trouble and went to my advisors and they told me "just go into the tests (mid terms/finals) and know that you will probably fail and we'll figure something out after" (I'm not joking, that's actually what they said). At that time I was really sure i didn't want to be at this school, but had done some work in the field and PT was what I wanted. So I transfered and found a school that I really liked.
So for that part of picking schools, make sure you feel comfortable at the school you pick. I think that I picked the first school because of it's reputation and not what I wanted out of the school. So if you can find an Alumni group if you can't see the school in person. Talk to people about the school and find out what they really think about the school.
The second story that I regret is after school I wanted to head to Alaska to live for a year or two. There were tons of jobs (and they paid great). My nephew, who I was also very close to, was young I think maybe in Jr High and I consider myself as a father figure to him at the time. When I went to talk to him he asked me not to go. So I didn't because of him. Now I am married, have a house (which I don't regret either), but have never lived in Alaska. My nephew is off doing his own thing and I don't see him much. I very much so regret getting away from "home" and not seeing Alaska.
So follow your heart and do what YOU want/need to do. And good luck. It's a tough descion
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with everyone else in "spreading your wings", Ethan.
Don't be too quick to dismiss the "religious" schools. My stepson is currently going to a prep school that's very strong on faith, but it's all faiths. It's very open religion-wise and teaches the kids to respect each other's religions, and he's getting a great respect for the moralities that all faiths provide. He really hasn't picked up a faith or religion or anything for himself yet, but none of it bothers him at all. It's actually done just the opposite, it's made him want to learn about the religions to see what they're about.
It's definately had a positive impact on him. I don't know if he'll come out of it all with anything for himself aside from knowledge of the ideals of the different faiths, but as his step-parent, and someone who loves him very much, and someone who knows how these ideals will give him peace and confidence as he moves out to college and beyond, I couldn't be more pleased.
If the schools are going to hold you down and tattoo you and staple a hat on your head, I'd definately lean away. But don't discount them directly on religious affiliation, look at their numbers, placement, ratings, etc. Pick the best school.
You'll do great. Take this to Dad, too. I'm sure he's got great input for you.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #25
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Take this to Dad, too. I'm sure he's got great input for you.
Oh, I know. Just harder there because I am closer with him than my Mom, so it'll make that conversation difficult.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
ChicagoWhiteSox

You have to do what's best for you and your career. Choose the best school you can get into. If that means going across country, then do so. Get the best GPA you can. Network, get to know your professors, intern, and do whatever you can to prepare yourself for when you do graduate. While I do agree with everyone saying that you should pursue your passion, you do however have to take into consideration the job market of whatever you choose to do. Face it, the economy is very sh!tty right, so make sure you think long and hard about your future Hope this helps a bit.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #27
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

Well, this just in:

At a career fair on campus today I learned that my Multidisciplinary Degree is more versatile than a History BA would be.. So there's no sense in me leaving. Maybe I just go south for my Masters if I choose to get it...
Old 02-17-2012, 03:39 AM   #28
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Pursue whatever it is that you're passionate about. Don't do something to appease others or you'll be looking back at this 20-30 years from now with regret. You only get one shot at your time on this earth, so why spend it doing something you don't like?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote