Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Jeffcor90
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Jeffcor90 is on a distinguished road
Default Seasoning the NewAir CC-100H CC-300 with Boveda

How many 84% Boveda seasoing packs do I need to put in each to season them correctly?
Jeffcor90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Seasoning the NewAir CC-100H CC-300 with Boveda

Not sure when i had a wine-ador i went with the sponges and distilled water method.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
Jeffcor90
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Not sure when i had a wine-ador i went with the sponges and distilled water method.
I've read that that's not a very effective way of doing it as the wood doesn't absorb a lot of the humidity.

Just looking for the right amount of packs to put in so I don't over season the wood.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I'm with Adam, never used a Boveda to season a humidor before, and mine have all been crackjack for 13-14 years with the old school methods.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I'm not an expert but I'd have to agree....I feel like you *could* season with boveda bags but you'd need a whole heck of a lot of them otherwise it would take an eternity. I've either used sponge or even open container of DW provided the humidor is in a sturdy place/won't get bumped.
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Just use one or more sponges. How do you figure we got humidors going before Boveda packets?
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Plus you are just seasoning the shelves and drawers. Are you going to plug it in or are you just going to seal up the different holes (phrasing!) and use it unplugged?
Old 01-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
Jeffcor90
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Plus you are just seasoning the shelves and drawers. Are you going to plug it in or are you just going to seal up the different holes (phrasing!) and use it unplugged?
OK everyone im not against the wiping down way, i just seen videos on youtube and figured the packs would be the best way. i want to season the shelves and it will be plugged in, i bought it mainly for temp control
Old 01-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcor90 View Post
OK everyone im not against the wiping down way, i just seen videos on youtube and figured the packs would be the best way. i want to season the shelves and it will be plugged in, i bought it mainly for temp control
No you don't wipe it down. You soak a new sponge in distilled water and put it on a small plate inside the box, you can always do two sponges on different shelves. The sponge do it it's shape and pores has blah blah blah millions of miles of surface area etc., lol But no you don't wipe anything down.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
Jeffcor90
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
No you don't wipe it down. You soak a new sponge in distilled water and put it on a small plate inside the box, you can always do two sponges on different shelves. The sponge do it it's shape and pores has blah blah blah millions of miles of surface area etc., lol But no you don't wipe anything down.
how much water? or it doesnt matter?
Old 01-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
AdamJoshua

Nope just get the sponge soaked and squeeze it out a bit, then put it on a small plate. Leave it closed for at least 24 hours, then open it and check to see how dry the sponge is, if it's dry you can wet it and repeat the process.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Trading: (1)
Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

I have not used a wine cooler before but I have a Vinotemp the uses a wine chiller. I can tell you that for years I chased the humidity because every time the chiller kicks on the humidity drops. And I was always having to refill the humidifier. I live in SoCal so after 10 year I finally unplugged it put in a few small tubs of beads and it sits at 65% all the time (If you still want to run it my guess is you would dry out the packs very fast)
Old 01-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
Jeffcor90
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Nope just get the sponge soaked and squeeze it out a bit, then put it on a small plate. Leave it closed for at least 24 hours, then open it and check to see how dry the sponge is, if it's dry you can wet it and repeat the process.
What humidity level am i looking for while seasoning? when do I know when it's ready?
Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
Jeffcor90
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havanaaddict View Post
I have not used a wine cooler before but I have a Vinotemp the uses a wine chiller. I can tell you that for years I chased the humidity because every time the chiller kicks on the humidity drops. And I was always having to refill the humidifier. I live in SoCal so after 10 year I finally unplugged it put in a few small tubs of beads and it sits at 65% all the time (If you still want to run it my guess is you would dry out the packs very fast)
this has temp control, and i will have multiple boveda packs to make sure the RH doesnt change too much
Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #15
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcor90 View Post
this has temp control, and i will have multiple boveda packs to make sure the RH doesnt change too much
The cooling system will remove humidity a LOT faster than some Boveda packs will replenish it.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
The cooling system will remove humidity a LOT faster than some Boveda packs will replenish it.
Some lessons must be learned first hand. I hope that the Boveda packs do as you expect, but I caution you to be open to other options if your approach fails to yield the results that you want.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have three vinos and use Cigarnut/Shilala beads in them (two of the three aren't plugged in) and have not had an issue in over 8 years.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:08 AM   #18
Jeffcor90
Just in from the Storm

you guys act like im against you lol. ill just post results when i get them
Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 AM   #19
Jeffcor90
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
its suppose to have something that counters that i believe
Old 01-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #20
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Some lessons must be learned first hand. I hope that the Boveda packs do as you expect, but I caution you to be open to other options if your approach fails to yield the results that you want.
Mark is wise, on several levels...