Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Liga Privada T52

As usual, I've posted the text below, pics available on the original post

Many of Drew Estate’s recent offerings have been gaining up in popularity, evidenced as it is hard to run into someone who doesn’t appreciate the Liga Privada No. 9 or the Joya de Nicaragua Dark Antanos.

Another in the Liga Privada line is the T52. It seems that favor falls 50/50 between the T52 and the No. 9, with fans of the T52 clinging to the noticeably more prominent spice flavor relative to the No. 9. I wanted to see what the buzz with the T52 was about, so I picked one up at a local Drew Estate event.

Construction: The T52 is wrapped in a sungrown habano wrapper is that is particularly dark and toothy. There is a good amount of oil on the leaf, enough to make the stick glisten just a bit. One thing that strikes me right off the bat is the weight: the stick is a lot burlier than what it first appears.

There was one relatively prominent vein, but its appearance was masked due to the darkness of the wrapper. The stick was taught, with no soft spots and a tight build. I’m a fan of the band. I enjoy the rampant lion that is a throwback to heraldry, giving the cigar a classic look – but not outdated as the remainder of the band is mock-scribble on a straightforward patterned background.

The pre-light smell is similar to a late-summer forest, of oak as opposed to pine, with a background hint of walnut, while the pre-light draw is fine with no indication of potential plug issues. The initial smoke is voluminous, but a bit thin, picking up small bit in thickness after about a half of an inch, and then really thickening up after the first half. A strong draw also brings out a fair amount of resting smoke, which just looks nice and augments the environmental aroma.

Right out of the gate the burn is very even. This is a big plus as there is no need for the stick to self correct a burn when it burns properly from the start. The ash was somewhat unique; it was pretty tight, but after about an inch it seemed as if it would fall off on its own, so I ashed it in about one inch or less increments.

Initial Flavors: The initial notes are very herbal, with hints of spice in the background. There is a definite leather note, leaning more towards thick, less-processed leather as opposed to a more finished and polished leather. That particular specificity may seem a bit odd, but I find the “less-processed” leather to be a bit better in the case of the T52, providing a better smell and meatier, if you will, taste. There is also a very mild sweet note that is exceptionally subtle that I can’t quite place.

After about an inch, the prominence of the leather fades a bit and gives way to mocha and nutmeg, with just a small bit of cream. The flavors hit in almost the same combination in terms of strength that you’d find with a drink from a coffee house, but a lot of the mocha note is picked up in the smoke versus on the palate, which is interesting in itself. The nutmeg is complimented by a well-rounded spice package that includes a range of peppers – not just black pepper or cayenne, but also some of the sweeter notes like those found in red bell pepper. Within the first inch it is evident why people say this cigar is heavier on the spice than the No. 9.

Continuing Flavors: After about the first third, the spice package noted above really picks up, with the mocha relegated predominantly to the smoke (still very interesting…), with very little to no cream. There isn’t really much cocoa, and only a small bit of cinnamon. I prefer not to have pre-conceived notions about a stick but I was somewhat expecting to get hit with that by now based on what I’ve heard. To be clear, that is not a detriment in the least. As the first third works its way down to the half-way point there is a return of the herbal notes, and the introduction of a grass or straw note, which brings to mind the flavor profile of a Lowland single malt whisky. They prove to be complementary to the spices.

The halfway point brings about toast in lieu of the grass, but not in lieu of the spices which remain in full force. At first blush, toast and spice may not seem to go together well – dumping a handful of containers from a spice rack onto a freshly toasted piece of bread probably doesn’t serve as a oft-consumed breakfast. That’s not the case with the T52, though. They play together very well, and while maybe not overly complex, they are quite good. The toast serves almost as a substitute to the cream you’d enjoy in many of the spicier maduros. This combination takes the stick home, although there is the return of a mild sweet note at about the last third. It is a bit floral, but definitely sweet. I want to say it reminds me of caramelized apples but the flavor is not that defined or strong, and I really can’t quite put my finger on it.

With Whisky: N/A – only water. I suspect this would pair well with a stronger Lowland, like maybe a Rosebank, or a northern Highland, like a Brora or even Tullibardine. I’d be careful with a lowland – while I say Rosebank, you’d have to be careful in the selection. Some Islays may work well too, like a Bunnahabhain. The key would be to not get something overly spicy, like some Speysiders, I think, but also something that is strong enough to stand up to the strong flavor profile and medium to full body of the cigar. Northern Highland would probably be the safest bet.

This is a great stick. Simple as that. It is very well constructed and has an enjoyable flavor profile. While the Liga Privada No. 9 is more of a pepper and wood stick, this is definitely the spice stick – meaning all the rumors are true. I gave the Liga Privada No. 9 a 8.5 rating, and I feel the same is warranted for the Liga Privada T52. However, I do suspect that both of these scores are potentially on the low side. This stick would not rate lower, and, given a couple more, I am tempted to bump them to a 9.0. I’d like to see just a little bit more out of the sticks in terms of complexity at a given point in time – meaning a really abundant and wide flavor profile all at once. I may have another of each of these, and will consider the bump at that time. Either way, these are both solid sticks.

Regret the Purchase: No (from an event).
Buy Another: Likely, already bought 6 of the Flying Pigs to try out (will review at some point).
Buy a Box: I would seriously consider it, but with a couple of caveats. First, with interesting vitolas such as the Flying Pig and the Dirty Rat (also have one of these), I’d want to experience more of the line prior to committing to a specific size. Second, I’d have to increase my smoking volume to really justify a box. They both strike me as box-worthy, but I’d almost be inclined to do a split, getting half of a box of the No. 9s and half of a box of the T52s.

Last edited by wolfandwhisky; 04-19-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: made some text bold - it just looks better
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liga Privada T52

Nice review...I enjoy these almost as much as the #9s.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Great review!!

I love the "With Whisky" portion...I'll really have to keep an eye out for your reviews.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Nice review, Matt.

I smoked one of these tonight compliments of SmokeyJoe. It was very well constructed, and I agree that it had some creamy qualities to it. Though it was medium bodied I had no issues snorking every draw. I didn't pick up on the assortment of flavors that Matt did although I did get that hint of cinnamon at one point. Mostly just a smooth, leathery profile for me...a pretty good cigar all around.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Nice review. I like these better than the No. 9's.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Nice review, Matt.

I smoked one of these tonight compliments of SmokeyJoe. It was very well constructed, and I agree that it had some creamy qualities to it. Though it was medium bodied I had no issues snorking every draw. I didn't pick up on the assortment of flavors that Matt did although I did get that hint of cinnamon at one point. Mostly just a smooth, leathery profile for me...a pretty good cigar all around.
Glad you liked the review - I agree it is a good cigar all around: good construction, good flavors, good burn, etc. Just a nice stick that would make a good daily smoke if you like the flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook
Nice review. I like these better than the No. 9's.
Thanks! I'm sure there are a lot of people who like both (like myself), but most people seem to have a definite favorite, which makes sense as they are two different sticks in terms of flavor: pepper versus spice.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Nice review. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky View Post
Many of Drew Estate’s recent offerings have been gaining up in popularity, evidenced as it is hard to run into someone who doesn’t appreciate the Liga Privada No. 9 or the Joya de Nicaragua Dark Antanos.
Point of note here, Joya de Nicaragua cigars are made by Joya de Nicaragua, and blended exclusively by the long time owner of JdN, Dr. Alejandro Cuenca. Drew Estates is simply the distributor for JdN.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Nice review. Thanks.

Point of note here, Joya de Nicaragua cigars are made by Joya de Nicaragua, and blended exclusively by the long time owner of JdN, Dr. Alejandro Cuenca. Drew Estates is simply the distributor for JdN.
Ah, I did not realize that... is DE an exclusive distributor?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Ah, I did not realize that... is DE an exclusive distributor?
AFAIK, yes.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
AFAIK, yes.
Clarification: I'm speaking in regards to the USA. Not sure about international distribution.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I love this cigar!!! Must get more.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

Nice review Matt. This is one of my new favorite sticks.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Nice review!

I like the T52 much more than the 9.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
phatmix12

I love these cigars the t52 and no.9 i think their great sticks.. good review .
Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Had one of the T52s recently and absolutely loved it! Really wanna get my hands on one of those 'Dirty Rats'... anyone know the deal with these? I see a few people picking them up here and there

aj
Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightAJ View Post
Had one of the T52s recently and absolutely loved it! Really wanna get my hands on one of those 'Dirty Rats'... anyone know the deal with these? I see a few people picking them up here and there

aj
Steve and Jonathan have been giving them out at DE events. As of now, there is no indication as to whether or not they'll go into production for retail release.

I imagine they would, but there has been talk about how they cost too much to make, that it almost doesn't make sense to do it for retail scale production.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Steve and Jonathan have been giving them out at DE events. As of now, there is no indication as to whether or not they'll go into production for retail release.

I imagine they would, but there has been talk about how they cost too much to make, that it almost doesn't make sense to do it for retail scale production.
Aww man.. Gotta see if they're coming to Philly I guess. Sure do hope they make it regular production, I have heard the DR is even better than the T52, which would have to be just awesome!

Nice review btw WAW! I'm sure you will like the Flying Pig too, that was a fun little smoke

aj
Old 04-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:

aj
Quote:

Quote:
Aww man.. Gotta see if they're coming to Philly I guess. Sure do hope they make it regular production, I have heard the DR is even better than the T52, which would have to be just awesome!

Nice review btw WAW! I'm sure you will like the Flying Pig too, that was a fun little smoke

aj

Dirty Rats are in production and being boxed.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=dirty
Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #19
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Quote:
Dirty Rats are in production and being boxed.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=dirty
When are they being released?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #20
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

I would presume it won't be too long now...