Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Indian Tabac Split Decision "The Quad"

So cigar tourney reviews kinda lost some steam as life and the job kept getting in the way. I thought I'd finish the last two and declare a winner, so here goes the next to last review...the much anticipated "Quad"

Indian Tabac Split Decision The Quad
6x52
Wrapper: habano, Connecticut, Maduro, Candela
Filler: Dominican/Nicaraguan

"The Ugly Duckling"

As you can see, a very unique looking cigar. The wrapper is dull, with three big veins running through it. Sweet tobacco aroma. The prelight draw is loose with a sweet, earthy taste on initial pull.

Lit easy and the initial flavor is very sweet...licorice and bitter chocolate. It's very wierd in a good way. Lots of creamy smoke. The burn is a little crooked but nothing to get upset about yet. Draw is still pretty loose, hoping it tightens up a bit. Ash is light gray and a little flaky. Pretty impressed with the amount of smoke so far.

The flavor has settles into a spicy taste, leaving a little burn at the back of my throat. Ash is very flaky, draw has firmed up a bit. Still lots of smoke which is nice. Aroma is what I'd have to call a very sweet smell, almost sugary. The smoke is leaving behind a strong finish.

40 minutes in...

The burn is still a little ragged, had to retouch once. Draw is good now. spice has become a little harsh, the burn is a little stronger on my throat now. Lots of smoke and the aroma is very nice. Very sweet smell I can't quite pinpoint.

At 47 minutes the the draw has loosened up again. Picked up an almost green onion?? flavor, while the aroma has turned molasses-y, that sweet, sugary smell.

One hour...

The burn on my throat is starting to become annoying. The flavor is still nice, the onion taste may have just been a "veggie" type taste. The harshness is picking up.

Died at 79 minutes..

The harshness was becoming stronger. The burning sensation lasted throughout and was annoying to the end, when it became unpleasant. The aroma was the best part of this stick. Picked up a floral type scent at the end. The flavor was complex at the beginning, lots of interesting tastes, but settled into a normal profile. My palette may not be sophisticated enough to pick up on the differences between the wrappers to know which one was coming through.

Would smoke another, but only if I didn't pay for it.

The scores:

Overall Appearance: 16(20)
Lighting and Burning: 11(15)
Construction: 23(30)
Taste: 21(35)

Overall: 71
Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
leasingthisspace

Default Re: Indian Tabac Split Decision "The Quad"

Thanks for the review. It is a very different looking cigar.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Nice review Sean. Definately and interesting looking stick.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

I'm a sucker for those "off- the-wall" type sticks. Just had to have one of these.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
ChicagoWhiteSox

Nice review Sean
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review. I also enjoy the odd looking cigar and / or the barber poles. I used to really like the IT however I guess my tastes have changed somewhat.
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote