Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Sol Cubano Artisan--Cigar Tourney Review #3

Sorry for the delay in getting these up. This is the review for the #3 seed in my cigar tourney.

Sol Cubano Artisan
7.1x58
Wrapper: Connecticut/Habano/Broadlef Maduro
Filler: Honduras/Nicaragua

Looks can be deceiving...

Generally, this is a beautiful looking cigar. Unfortunately, I picked the ugly sister of the litter. We start with a large split at the head. I though I could clip past most of it, but it became worse after the clip.

These come in a box of 5, pretty snugly packed, so I don't think damage came from there. Other cigars look better, so I think this was the bad stick. The wrapper also looks wrinkly in places. The pre lite aroma is a wonderfully sweet tobacco. The draw is very loose and there is a chocolately molassess flavor on the draw. It lit up fairly easy. The foot is similiar to a DPG Cuban Classic Belicoso, or as I once referred to it as, a "nipple."

The draw is way too loose, like smoking through a straw. The flavor is light tea initially. The wrapper tear is really pissing me off though. Can't get a good draw on it. The flavor has started to change to a vegetal type, kind of reminds me of arugula, the peppery lettuce in a salad. It's very nice and subtle. Not a lot of smoke either with this stick. Not much at rest or on the draw. The burn started ok, but is now running ragged.

Sadly, this is all I can stand, less than halfway through.

The split really affected the draw and the ability to smoke this cigar, which is too bad, because it is such a nice looking stick and the flavor was just starting to get interesting. I will defnitely give another one of these a try.

The results suffer because I did not get through the entire stick, but here they are.

Appearance and Presentation: 16
Lighting and Burning: 6
Construction Properties: 4
Taste Properties: 25
Overall Score: 51
Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sol Cubano Artisan--Cigar Tourney Review #3

I smoked one of these last night. It is funny that you mention tea because I told my herfing buddy that the flavor was a strong black tea and caramel. I did not have the bad construction that you had. The draw was however a little on the loose side as the cigar is not tightly packed (for a cigar this size, it is surprisingly light). The burn as with mist barber poles can get a little ragged but nothing a little touchup did not fix. The flavor did not change thoughout the stick, but this did not bother me. This cigar was seriously sweat and smooth with tea/caramel right in your face. I personally loved this cigar and nubbed it. I have a few more and would consider buying more (but definately not at the MSRP). You can pick these up for $5-6 per and at that price I think this is a great dessert stick. My rating would be 90! I paired it with a Glenorangie Port Cask, just a wonderful smoke.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review of these!!!

I was curious about these!!! I'll save the stick I have for another day!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Sucks about the wrapper issues, it looks like an awesome stick.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

THis really is a great stick. CI has a very good deal on them... buy two Padilla 68 perfectos and you get 5 of these all for $25 shipped (with free shipping code).
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote