Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Bahia Gold Robusto

It's been over a month since the last installment of illinoishoosier's review corner so I decided to go with a unique little cigar I found while digging around my humi for some sticks for the troops.

Tonight's smoke is...

Bahia Gold Robusto
5x50
F: Dominican
W Ecuadorian Sumatra

Here it is looking innocent...

This is a box pressed cigar. It has a nice medium brown wrapper, but this one has some inconsistencies. There are a couple of "bunched" spots and the cap looks like it was applied sloppily. The aroma is a sweet barnyard smell, if that's possible and there is a definite grass/hay flavor on the pre light draw.

The initial taste uopn lighting is a wet grass/hay taste. This does not bode well. Lots of smoke though initially, so it has that going for it.

5 minutes in...

The burn is nice and even and the draw is loose, but not distractingly so. Picking up a little leather flavor, but can't shake that wet grass/hay taste. Lots of white smoke and the ash is light gray and holding firm.

At 20 minutes, still getting a wet grass/hay flavor, but the aroma coming off is definitely nutty, which is nice. Draw and burn are still good and the ash is holding tight. Tapped it off at the 27 minute mark.

40 minuutes...

Finally ditched the wet hay taste!! But now it's just a little bit of leather, starting to pick up an ashy flavor. Ash has continued to hold firm and the draw and burn have been consistent throughout.

We died here at 47 minutes...

Starting getting a burn at the back of my throat, which usually does not mean this is a good stick. The flavor went south fast and ended in an ashy flavor that was not good at all.

This stick had some potential. It was a decently constructed cigar as evidenced by the draw and burn, but the wet hay taste through the first 2/3s was just unappealing. And the finish burning the throat was not good. 25 minutes after finishing, my throat still feels a little raw.

I give this one 2 illinoishoosiers out of 5.