Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
whodeeni

Default Padron Family Reserve 44th Maduro

Padron Family Reserve 44th Maduro

Appearance & Construction:This cigar’s wrapper is chocolate, mottled, and very toothy.
The veins are very small. This cigar is very firm to the touch. Ironically it’s not packed
very well at the foot and I notice some holes there. The feel is a little spongy on the foot.
I sniff the wrapper and I smell light cedar and fragrant tobacco. As I sniff the foot I get rich
tobacco, light grass and barnyard aroma.

First 3rd: I clipped the top and lit the foot. As I take the first puff, I get black pepper, cedar
through the nose. Shortly after, leather shows its face and pepper lightly coats the palate.
Unlike the nosotros I recently smoked, the finish of this stick is oily. There was a tear in the
Wrapper on the foot. As the cigar begins to warm up it’s becoming noticeable. Flavors of leather,
Cedar, and pepper are interchangeable with each puff. What was a faint whiff of smoke on the
Initial light has become a little chimney! The ash is firm and tight in spite of the tear which confirms
That the construction is excellent! (As should be expected with this marca.)

Because of the torn wrapper I’ve touched this cigar up twice. I’m expecting a lot more from this stogie
But so far I’m not getting it. I’m noticing a sort of transition… The finish is long and cedary while the puff is leather with a light hint of chocolate for the first time. Oil is forming on my tongue and I’m getting rich tobacco with chocolate. I paired the 44th with Dickel’s 12yr and it’s really a treat! Leather and cedar continue to take turns with each puff.
2nd 3rd: The ash lasted through the first 3rd befor I tapped it. Padron has one hell of a reputation and I am enjoying the smoothness. A 36.00 cigar should be very smooth and it definitely is! There is a little canoe in the front but the burn line is very sharp! Shortly thereafter the burn line corrects itself. The retro-hale
Is very strong and peppery! The draw remains effortless. I let the cigar go out because I got distracted by a phone call. Upon relighting it I got this weird metallic taste. Fortunately, it only lasted for one puff. I clipped the end again because the tip was wet and it opened up the draw even more. The next time I smoke a Padron torpedo I will definitely make a bigger cut. Light leather, rich tobacco and cedar are present on the long finish. The strength has grown full bodied, and rich tobacco and cedar are prevalent on the finish .

Final 3rd: I don’t want to be redundant but the flavors basically remained the same.
Nub: As we approach the nub, this cigar is really starting to shine! It’s still very smooth and the flavors of cedar and leather have married and the taste I’m experiencing is nothing short of amazing! As I took the final puff the nicotine is sitting in my chest! This smoke made for a wonderful end to a beautiful fall afternoon!

Final Thoughts: In closing this cigar was very smooth. Traditional pardon shined through. I can’t say it was worth $36.00 but it definitely delivered a very refined and enjoyable smoking experience.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Padron Family Reserve 44th Maduro

How was the Dickel ??
Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
mash is on a distinguished road

Great review.
I've only had one of these, I didn't find it as complex as you did. Interesting to see how or if these change over time.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
maverickdrinker
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: art
Trading: (15)
Cohiba
maverickdrinker will become famous soon enoughmaverickdrinker will become famous soon enough

thanks for this. I have a couple in the humidor resting. May have to break one out to try
maverickdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

yum!
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Excel. Gotta agree...definetly not worth the $$$$.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thank you for the great review and the great pictures! These are great sticks and I wish they were more affordable

I always wait until Taboo has a sale to purchase my preimum Padron's.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Nickerson

Yet to try the 44th. The 40th is amazing. And I love their classic line. Padron is #1 in my books.

Hows that stinky ash tray? I've heard stories of the sun's reflection burning holes in cigars from it.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
whodeeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montano View Post
How was the Dickel ??
Nick the Dickels was a great addition to the cigar.. It's also very
good for the money as far as bourbon goes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerson View Post
Yet to try the 44th. The 40th is amazing. And I love their classic line. Padron is #1 in my books.

Hows that stinky ash tray? I've heard stories of the sun's reflection burning holes in cigars from it.
Love the stinky ashtray! I won it at a herf the big bowl makes for a
lot of ashes, only way i could see it doing that was if you lived in
Arizona... I was outside for 2.5 hrs smoking that Padron sun was out
and I didn't have any problems!

Thanks for all the kind words Fella's!