Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New York Mets 2014 Season Banter!!

Someone "knucklehad" predicted the 2014 NY Mets will win 90 games. Is this same "knucklehead" counting the AA & AAA teams as well as the big league ball club??

I'm predicting a fourth place finish in the NL East. Pitching was not improved and Harvey is out for the year. Good news is that the outfield is very much improved and Legares gained a year of experience at the big league level. SS and 1B are still glaring issues. Will Tejada/Ike/Duda bounce back from invisible years and contribute anything this year??

I love my Mets, but there are way too many uncertainties to think anything better than a 4th place finish. Now, if everyone has a career year, or performs way above expectations...then a 90 win season may be attainable...but I still feel we are two years away from that happening in Flushing.

Either way...I'm gonna be rooting for them.

LET'S GO METS!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New York Mets 2014 Season Banter!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Someone "knucklehad" predicted the 2014 NY Mets will win 90 games. Is this same "knucklehead" counting the AA & AAA teams as well as the big league ball club??

I'm predicting a fourth place finish in the NL East. Pitching was not improved and Harvey is out for the year. Good news is that the outfield is very much improved and Legares gained a year of experience at the big league level. SS and 1B are still glaring issues. Will Tejada/Ike/Duda bounce back from invisible years and contribute anything this year??

I love my Mets, but there are way too many uncertainties to think anything better than a 4th place finish. Now, if everyone has a career year, or performs way above expectations...then a 90 win season may be attainable...but I still feel we are two years away from that happening in Flushing.

Either way...I'm gonna be rooting for them.

Speaking of flushing....here's to the Mets....flushing right down the toilet!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Speaking of flushing....here's to the Mets....flushing right down the toilet!
Now, now, now Keith...don't get me started about the Philladelphia Follies!! Does Howard prove he can stay heathy? Does Ruiz prove he can produce without 'roids? Which pitcher retires before the season is over this year? How's that "rookie" manager working out for ya this year?

I believe we placed 3rd in the NL East last year...what about your boys?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Now, now, now Keith...don't get me started about the Philladelphia Follies!! Does Howard prove he can stay heathy? Does Ruiz prove he can produce without 'roids? Which pitcher retires before the season is over this year? How's that "rookie" manager working out for ya this year?

I believe we placed 3rd in the NL East last year...what about your boys?
Won the World Series!!....ohh, the Phillies.....yeah, well, hmmmm ....how's the weather in VA?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Won the World Series!!....ohh, the Phillies.....yeah, well, hmmmm ....how's the weather in VA?

I see I have to find me an American League team to claim as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Here's to winning 90 games!

LET'S GO METS!!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Try this???

Trade Ike Davis, send Lucas Duda down to minor leagues, put Daniel Murphy at first base and Eric Young Jr. at second base. Here's a potential lineup:

1.) 2B Eric Young Jr.
2.) 1B Daniel Murphy
3.) 3B David Wright
4.) LF Curtis Granderson
5.) RF Chris Young
6.) CF Juan Lagares
7.) C Travis D'Arnaud
8.) SS Ruben Tejada
9.) PITCHER
Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Try this???

Trade Ike Davis, send Lucas Duda down to minor leagues, put Daniel Murphy at first base and Eric Young Jr. at second base. Here's a potential lineup:

1.) 2B Eric Young Jr.
2.) 1B Daniel Murphy
3.) 3B David Wright
4.) LF Curtis Granderson
5.) RF Chris Young
6.) CF Juan Lagares
7.) C Travis D'Arnaud
8.) SS Ruben Tejada
9.) PITCHER
Dave, I'm ok with this EXCEPT for Tejada. Unless he proves he's serious about playing. It was partly the Mets fault as they handed him the job after Reyes left. He got lazy...make him earn it and maybe things change. But this still doesn't solve our pitching issues. Starters #3 through #5 and the entire bullpen.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

so, you are really going to put yourself through this again this year huh?

you going for the site record to see how many emoticons be posted in one thread?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Mac - I see your point with Tejada, but who else do we have for SS?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Mac - I see your point with Tejada, but who else do we have for SS?
That's my point!! Alderson did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to improve these positions...

Shortstop (nothing but Tejada...and what did he hit last year? .202 before getting hurt.

Starting Pitching (banking on prospects and ANOTHER over the hill veteran)

Bullpen (who's our closer? Johnny Rottentree?)

First Base (rolling the dice with Duda/Davis...AGAIN...how'd that work out for you last year Sandy?)

Very frustrated with the ownership...money was saved and yet, we only picked up Granderson/Young/Colon. I love the Granderson deal. If Young performs as he's capable, I'm ok with that move. Just not thrilled with Colon...'roids, over 40, overweight, etc...I see him on the DL by the end of May). Guess Wilpons wanted to pocket some more.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Dave128
Sexy Dave

This could be a loooong season (again).
Old 02-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
This could be a loooong season (again).
I hear ya Dave. Niese is supposed to be our opening day starter and he went to NY yesterday for an MRI. Said it was "clean"...but the Mets training staff has been known to screw a thing or two up in their time.

Trying really hard to remain positive for the season.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #14
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Think positive thoughts!
If team management is relying on Niese, we're going to have problems!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #15
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

This thread would've been better if it was up when Sandy said the team should win 90 games.
I was really fired up about it.
Now that it's been a day or so, much like the Mets season, it's over and done with.

Truthfully, I thought the Mets were going to have a big offseason. They didn't!
They made 1 impact move, Granderson. The rest are maybes.
And when you weigh Grandy against Byrd's production last year, there might only be a slight improvement.
Not bringing in Nelson Cruz was a mistake. Especially when you look at him only getting 8 mil for 1 year.
Granted, he doesn't make the Mets a contender, but for 8 Mil you're able to inject a little life into your fan base.

So, did the Mets take it easy this year because Harvey is hurt? Your thoughts?
Initially I thought that might be the case, but I honestly think the Wilpon's are broke!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Harvey would have been the opening day starter. Hoping Wheeler and Syndergaard make big time impacts in spring.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

I agree Dom...Cruz should have been pursued. 8 mil a year? Hell, we gave that to Ollie Perez.

At first, I thought the off-season inactivty was due to the fact that they thought with Harvey hurt, they were already out of it (if that was the case...we will never win with them at the top).

But I honestly think the Wilpons are BROKE...the whole Madoff thing did them in, but they won't sell.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Mets lose their first official spring training game of the season against the Nats: 5-4

Typical loss: up 4-1 in the fifth and not able to hold the lead till the end.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Mets get "skull drugged" by the Marlins split squad this afternoon 9-1. We mustered FOUR hits...WTF??? It's starting already.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Another "skull drugging" from the Cardinals today, 7-1. And another day we only muster FOUR hits. This year is gonna be a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG one.