Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #21
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First speeding ticket.

I hate getting tickets in Georgia, I got 17 of them before joining the AF.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

Doesn't GA have some sort of super speeder law? I think I remember reading that on the flashing signs on the highway, I remember thinking it would suck getting caught, because the fines were pretty hefty.

Worst I have ever gotten was 98 in a 70. I was happy to just take the hit and keep going because I passed the cop doing about 120.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #23
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Don't forget Cletus Maggard's "White Knight." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh66kDox4R0

They don't write 'em like that any more!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis View Post
Doesn't GA have some sort of super speeder law? I think I remember reading that on the flashing signs on the highway, I remember thinking it would suck getting caught, because the fines were pretty hefty.

Worst I have ever gotten was 98 in a 70. I was happy to just take the hit and keep going because I passed the cop doing about 120.

50 over carries a 1,000 dollar fine and mandatory court here in Florida (criminal citation). Not uncommon to see the license get suspended cause of the excess of speed especially if there is a careless or reckless citation also.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #25
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

First ticket, I remember my first ticket...my second, third.......fourth, fifth....I think I'm up to roughly 7-8 right now.

My worst I was doing 135 in the 70 but the cop failed to clock me even close. I got a ticket for 95. Meh, guy treated me like I was hauling cocaine and underaged Ukrainian hookers in the trunk. Not a cool guy.

I blew it off. Paid the ticket. If you ever actually go to court ALWAYS say guilty, but say guilty with explanation.

NEVER say you were innocent, even if you were. The system is rigged and stupid....you will lose every time.

Do try to get driving school though man, you really don't want the points. Your insurance will go up....eventually they will even try to price you out of insurance (aka 5G's a year for basic coverage)

Of course that takes like 6 tickets in 2 years.

Don't worry about it, but definitely read up and understand your state laws.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I've been pulled over once when I was 18, 70 in a 50. That's when I decided it was an incredibly stupid way to spend my money. Worst part was the officer was the uncle of a kid that my parents had taken in for over 4 years, I figured he would let me off... he didn't. And not only that he pulled my brother over in the same spot a half hour later with the kid in the car and gave him a ticket too

Now I drive a 4 cylinder tacoma so I pretty much can't speed even if I wanted to
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #27
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

My pappy said you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #28
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

145.85 is the damage...not too bad
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #29
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

When I got mine I was able to get it down to a no points ticket as it was my first time. I did not go before a judge but there was someone I had to go in and talk to at the city of which I got the ticket from. Might be worth looking into to avoid the points.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #30
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Back in '03, I got a ticket in a speed trap. The speed limit went from 35 to 25 for like a half a mile and the speed limit signs were behind utility poles. I got ticked for 45 in a 25. It pissed me off, but I figured taking it to court wouldn't work b/c the cop was in the traffic unit and I was in Florida the day of court.

Knock on wood, I haven't gotten a ticket since... and that is a miracle b/c I am known to sometimes have a lead foot.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #31
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Well, don't feel too bad. My wife just called me and said she got one too on her way to work. Her first as well. She was on a downhill stretch and got written for 35 in a 30. Such is life.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #32
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I recently got a speeding ticket for going 5mph. No kidding

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #33
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

35 in a 30 is rough. Esp. since most speedometers are off a bit- cops will usually give you 5 or 10 mph. I remember a Cinci cop telling me he gave people 15- because after that they had no excuses.

I got my ticket by rolling through a stop sign from a strip mall onto a feeder road that led onto the main road. I saw the cop had somebody with him- probably just showing the supervisor he was alert!

I find that if you stay with traffic you should be ok. Never be a leader!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #34
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
50 over carries a 1,000 dollar fine and mandatory court here in Florida (criminal citation). Not uncommon to see the license get suspended cause of the excess of speed especially if there is a careless or reckless citation also.
I'll remember NOT to speed in FL. Here in this county in MI 50 over is well the fine schedule doesn't say it only goes to 31-40 over which is $190 Most people think a certain speed is criminal in MI, well it's not. Careless maybe...reckless if we can prove it but other than that not criminal.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #35
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Got pulled over once and the cop asked where I was coming from and I said from the Milwaukee police academy graduation. My boyfriend at the time just graduated. He was like OK. He checked my license and was like I am off work in 30 so get out of here!! SCORE!!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #36
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Not sure if GA is like NC but here if you get a ticket the mailbox is stuffed with letters from Lawyers shortly after. Also here in NC if you do hire a lawyer 99% of the time they knock it down to a faulty equipment ticket. My wife received her first ticket shortly after moving here. 15 over the posted speed limit which would have definitely hit our insurance so the $300 for the lawyer for sure is saving us some money.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #37
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
Well, don't feel too bad. My wife just called me and said she got one too on her way to work. Her first as well. She was on a downhill stretch and got written for 35 in a 30. Such is life.
You can definitely fight and beat that one in court. 5 over could be a matter of calibration of the speedo. Hell I know my bike reads 8mph over what I am actually doing. I am surprised the LEO would waste his time and your wifes time writing a ticket for 5mph over. Sounds like he may have been having a bad day.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #38
Davis
Poogas!

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
Punch
Davis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
I'll remember NOT to speed in FL. Here in this county in MI 50 over is well the fine schedule doesn't say it only goes to 31-40 over which is $190 Most people think a certain speed is criminal in MI, well it's not. Careless maybe...reckless if we can prove it but other than that not criminal.

I find that here in the Bay Area, you need to be acting like a fool behind the wheel to get caught most of the time.

As long as youre going with the flow of traffic, youre safe. Im never a leader in traffic, always a follower. FHP is no fun to deal with.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #39
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

call the magistrate and ask if there is anything you can do to reduce the ticket to a non-moving violation, this is the same thing the lawyer will charge you $300 to do and they get these calls all day long, no big deal,

for the 5 over just go to a garage that can test speedometers and tell them that your wife got a ticket for going 5 over the limit, see if they and help you out. they can write a statement that it was off by such and such amount and the driver was under the impression they were traveling at such and such speed. most judges will throw this out
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #40
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
35 in a 30 is rough. Esp. since most speedometers are off a bit- cops will usually give you 5 or 10 mph. I remember a Cinci cop telling me he gave people 15- because after that they had no excuses.

I got my ticket by rolling through a stop sign from a strip mall onto a feeder road that led onto the main road. I saw the cop had somebody with him- probably just showing the supervisor he was alert!

I find that if you stay with traffic you should be ok. Never be a leader!
I think they were written for 5 over, but the reason for stopping the car was most likely more than 5 over.