Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Reading glasses

I wore glasses as a kid until I was 16 and I just quit wearing them. I just turned 37 and felt like I've lost just a bit of vision with reading. Picked up my new glasses yesterday and these things are really hard to get adjusted to and I don't dare use them for anything other than reading itself. I feel like I'm going to get a headache using them, but I think that's pretty typical getting used to glasses. Anyone else have difficulty making this adjustment?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Reading glasses

Yep. Walking around wearing them was really weird for about a year. For six years now I've been through four prescriptions and I still don't like them. (sigh)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I use reading glasses (or supposed to) and I have to take them off when I put what I am reading down. My eyes cant focus through the glasses for distance.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I had cataract surgery in both eyes a few months ago. I was literally going blind. I now have 20/13 vision in both eyes. It was a true miracle. The drawback to monofocal replacement lens is seeing detail up close. I can read this computer screen clear as a bell from 2 ft. At one foot, letters are fuzzy and starting to double. I wear 1.25 reading glasses at those short distance and everything pops back in. Not a bad trade-off. Eyesight was PERFECT until I hit 40.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I use reading glasses (or supposed to) and I have to take them off when I put what I am reading down. My eyes cant focus through the glasses for distance.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I wore glasses as a kid until I was 16 and I just quit wearing them. I just turned 37 and felt like I've lost just a bit of vision with reading. Picked up my new glasses yesterday and these things are really hard to get adjusted to and I don't dare use them for anything other than reading itself. I feel like I'm going to get a headache using them, but I think that's pretty typical getting used to glasses. Anyone else have difficulty making this adjustment?
Yes you will have this problem for several days to a week. It will go away. My advise never take them off, that way once you are use to it no more headaches.

I've worn glasses for ~8 years and contacts for ~8 years. I'm in soft lenses right now.

There is the same switch from glasses to contacts and vis-a-versa.

If they aren't reading glasses you will benefit from never taking them off greatly. If not ...I cannot speak on that one yet.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Yes you will have this problem for several days to a week. It will go away. My advise never take them off, that way once you are use to it no more headaches.

I've worn glasses for ~8 years and contacts for ~8 years. I'm in soft lenses right now.

There is the same switch from glasses to contacts and vis-a-versa.

If they aren't reading glasses you will benefit from never taking them off greatly. If not ...I cannot speak on that one yet.
These are strictly for reading. When I had my exam, I was good to go at distance, but the issue was more of the stuff up close. The doc had me go through the whole which is better, 1 or 2 for a bunch of lenses. She then showed me what the difference was between the lens vs. without and it was almost no difference for something at a distance.

When I wore them as a kid, I never took them off. I also recall an exam before I quit wearing them that the doctor commented I would probably never be able to wear contacts given how sensitive my eyes are. Even last week on a follow up appointment, this doctor asked if I had any itching. Contacts have probably come a long way, but I doubt I'll ever be in contacts.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Been wearing glasses for 50 yrs now.......if I get new ones and after 2 weeks they still bother me, I take them back and have them check the prescription to make sure they are right. A few times I have found that they where not right and got them to remake the lenses, then all ok!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Eyesight was PERFECT until I hit 40.
And then it drops off a cliff, seemingly overnight you can't see anything close.
I have let mine slip to the point where I really need a set of 1.0s to feel totally secure behind the wheel.
Still have not seen the opthamolgist, and like any panicked 40+ person, I have the house covered in
reading glasses, never wanting to be without the lifesaving lenses when I have to read something.
I told my mother the other day, I went into the bathroom and there were FOUR PAIR sitting on the sink
alone. : confused:
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Eyesight was PERFECT until I hit 40.
And then it drops off a cliff, seemingly overnight you can't see anything close.
I have let mine slip to the point where I really need a set of 1.0s to feel totally secure behind the wheel.
Still have not seen the opthamolgist, and like any panicked 40+ person, I have the house covered in
reading glasses, never wanting to be without the lifesaving lenses when I have to read something.
I told my mother the other day, I went into the bathroom and there were FOUR PAIR sitting on the
sink alone.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I hate getting old!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote