Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #1841
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
This is going to be pretty long I'm thinking. So if anyone takes the time to read it and respond I would greatly appreciate it. This is more about my first experiences with cigars over the last few months than a question, although I do have a few questions.

So I bought a humidor in January along with a few cigars. Bad idea. For about two weeks I was hastily trying to season my humidor and place my cigars in it before they dried up. Why? Because being a noob, I thought the cigars would dry up quicker than I could season my humidor. Anyway I could never get the humidor seasoned right and it would never hold at the 65% rh I desired, despite using the beads. It hovered between 56-60.

I live in Iowa. So it's not too humid. I think my first mistake was the 65 beads. I may change to 70. Does that seem reasonable? I also had a post in the cigar smoking technique forum about not being able to taste my cigars despite retrohaling. A person there suggested that my cigars may have been dry, and I'm sure now that they were. I may try the boveda seasoning packs for the seasoning. Do those work well? I guess the main thing I've learned is that this is not a hobby to RUSH. Patience, as with most things in life, is essential.
Yes, patience is very critical and cigars are not as tempermental as they first seem to a newb. If you are still having issues with the humidor not being properly seasoned it is not to late to start over. Put your cigars in tupperware or freezer bags with the boveda packs or your beads while you get a good season on your humi. You should not have to buy 70RH beads if you have 65 already, they should be the same beads as the 65 but seasoned at a higher RH. Do you have a good hygrometer and has it been tested lately? That is the first key to knowing everything else.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #1842
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

If after 2-3 months, the humidor still hasn't stabilized, it's probably leaking.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #1843
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Eros is on a distinguished road

I have a digital hygrometer that I salt-tested and then towel tested later on to affirm the accuracy. It was about 3% of when I first tested it so I adjusted it accordingly. After wrapping it in a towel a couple of weeks later it read 98% rh, which I was told it should read between 98 and 100 after the test. So the hygrometer is fine I believe. I took everything out of the humidor about a month ago and it is currently reading 44%
Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #1844
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Sounds like you have a leak. Is it a glass top? If so you may have leakage around the edges. Check the accessory forum for the thread on sealing the glass with silicone. You can also check for leaks by opening the top about half way and letting it go. It should not slam shut, you should hear a "whooshing" sound as the air escapes evenly around the edges. you can seal the top edges by using painters tape around the top.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #1845
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
I have a digital hygrometer that I salt-tested and then towel tested later on to affirm the accuracy. It was about 3% of when I first tested it so I adjusted it accordingly. After wrapping it in a towel a couple of weeks later it read 98% rh, which I was told it should read between 98 and 100 after the test. So the hygrometer is fine I believe. I took everything out of the humidor about a month ago and it is currently reading 44%
I would re-season the humi now, during this time I would put your beads in a tupperware with distilled water in a shot glass. Test it and get it to the 65% mark you desire, then remove the shot glass and continue to monitor the beads in the tupperware. If it stays around where you want it, and you get your humi ready make the move back in. It may take a while for your cigars, beads & humi to all nuturalize. If it continues to drop RH you may have a leaky humi, you can research ways to seal it or you can continue to put your beads in a tupperware with a shot glass of distiled water often to charge back up to 65%.
I hope this helps. Scott Shilala created a very interesting thread about making a humidor water tight!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #1846
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Well I'm currently at a University so I can't really do any handy work with the humidor. I think it does have a leak because it slams pretty hard. But yes it is a glass top. I'm just mad that I invested money into something that doesn't work as advertised.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #1847
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Well I'm currently at a University so I can't really do any handy work with the humidor. I think it does have a leak because it slams pretty hard. But yes it is a glass top. I'm just mad that I invested money into something that doesn't work as advertised.
It is a common issue with many humidors.

Here is the link I was referring to:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52938

Although it sounds like you may not be able to get this involved.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #1848
Eros
Just in from the Storm

No not at all. I've looked at that guide and it looks great. I just don't have to tools right now. Maybe this summer. What humidors do you guys have/recommend? Mine was a cheap one from cheap humidors.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #1849
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
No not at all. I've looked at that guide and it looks great. I just don't have to tools right now. Maybe this summer. What humidors do you guys have/recommend? Mine was a cheap one from cheap humidors.
Honestly I would reccomend a cooler. Cheap and many seal well.
Not much of a presentation however.

You might consider trying to just use a clear odorless silicone to seal the glass and a foam seal to seal the opening on the one you have. You should be able to do a mediocre job without any tools or much time.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #1850
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Buy a small cooler or a piece of Tupperware big enough to store your cigars, beads and hygro. All you have to do is clean it out and remove any plastic smell, no need to season or anything.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #1851
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

What I did was rinse it out well, clean with a very small amount of dish washing liquid, rinse, then rinse again with distilled water (The distilled water is prolly not a must if it air dries completely) and air dry.
This is just to get it clean and eliminate the plastic odor inside.
Then through your stuff in and close. It may take a few weeks for everything to balance out. I have a few cedar boxes in mine to help keep a consistent environment in there.

Edit: haha, I replied to your last question prior to it's deletion!

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 04-09-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #1852
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Buy a small cooler or a piece of Tupperware big enough to store your cigars, beads and hygro. All you have to do is clean it out and remove any plastic smell, no need to season or anything.
I will probablly do that if there's no seasoning involved as you say. I do have a large tupperware container already so I could just do that. Looks aren't an issue for me at the moment. When I get older and have a house I may look into a nice humidor. Being in college and getting into cigars don't go together very well I've learned haha
Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #1853
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
I will probablly do that if there's no seasoning involved as you say. I do have a large tupperware container already so I could just do that. Looks aren't an issue for me at the moment. When I get older and have a house I may look into a nice humidor. Being in college and getting into cigars don't go together very well I've learned haha
Tupperware is fine. Just add your beads, hygrometer and cigars. No seasoning needed.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #1854
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

What "sets off" fillings in teeth?(metallic conducive taste/sensation) I'm guessing I'm not the only one....
Thanks.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #1855
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
What "sets off" fillings in teeth?(metallic conducive taste/sensation) I'm guessing I'm not the only one....
Thanks.
Never heard of this problem before; there is no metal in the cigars -- or at leat there should not be.

Could it be heat related (e.g., warm/hot smoke)?

Are your teeth sensitive to hot or cold?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #1856
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Never heard of this problem before; there is no metal in the cigars -- or at leat there should not be.

Could it be heat related (e.g., warm/hot smoke)?

Are your teeth sensitive to hot or cold?
It only happens sometimes. Today when I fired up a cigar for the first 3-5 minutes it happened. Other times (majority) no issues. My teeth are moderately sensitive but not real bad.
I have seen it referenced one other time but could not find the post.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #1857
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Tupperware is fine. Just add your beads, hygrometer and cigars. No seasoning needed.
SOOOO I decided to go the tupperware route. I took the hygrometer and humidity bead puck out of my humidor and placed it into a tupperware container. Upon waking up and checking the numbers-the temp is at 69 and the humidity is at 93!? What could be the reason for this. It is a small tupperware container. About 12x6 inches.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #1858
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
SOOOO I decided to go the tupperware route. I took the hygrometer and humidity bead puck out of my humidor and placed it into a tupperware container. Upon waking up and checking the numbers-the temp is at 69 and the humidity is at 93!? What could be the reason for this. It is a small tupperware container. About 12x6 inches.
The tupperware can not release the humidity like a humidor can.

Your puck is probably overkill.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #1859
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
The tupperware can not release the humidity like a humidor can.

Your puck is probably overkill.
Any ideas on what would be ideal for such a small space?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #1860
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Quote:
Any ideas on what would be ideal for such a small space?
Beads, beads is always the answer. Talk to Michael http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...5&postcount=31