Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #81
vicvitola

Default Re: Plasma or LCD?

Regarding LCD screens have a tendency to blur images, that was true for older generation (higher pixel response) LCD screens. On newer models it is almost negligible. Just as negligable as the "burn in" issues on Plasma now.

Viewing angles are also siginificantly better on newer LCD sets now.

Regarding life expectancy, it is reassuring to know you will most likely get 60,000 plus hours with an LCD. Great point to consider if you are looking for a work horse TV in the well lit family room that the kids are going to punish.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #82
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
. . .

Blu-ray isn't going anywhere.... as much as people love to think.
Personally I look forward to the day that I actually pick up a Blu-Ray player. But that date will have to wait on two things - one I get the basement remodeled (with new tv set and theater system - and the most important - when I can burn my own Blu-Ray movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvitola View Post
Regarding LCD screens have a tendency to blur images, that was true for older generation (higher pixel response) LCD screens. On newer models it is almost negligible. Just as negligable as the "burn in" issues on Plasma now.

Regarding life expectancy, it is reassuring to know you will most likely get 60,000 plus hours with an LCD. Great point to consider if you are looking for a work horse TV in the well lit family room that the kids are going to punish.

I have never noticed any blurring on my Sony Bravia. But yes I have seen it on other sets.

Plasma verse LCD - two different types cause one is not perfect for everyone. I tend to pause what I am watching quite often - sometimes for an hour or so. I also have my computer hooked up to it - can't do that with a Plasma. So really each person needs to decide what's best for them.

That said - once the basement is remodeled I will buy a Plasma for that room. Lighting will be lower, no computers hooked up to it - no games connected to it.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #83
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
- and the most important - when I can burn my own Blu-Ray movies.
Blu-Ray burners are becoming cheaper and cheaper by the day my friend

Quote:
I tend to pause what I am watching quite often - sometimes for an hour or so. I also have my computer hooked up to it - can't do that with a Plasma.
Actually with today's technology you can my friend. Most HD DVR's as well as Blu-Ray/DVD players come with a screen saver function so that even if you do pause for an hour, the set is still fine.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #84
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvitola View Post

here's the only thing i will comment on about LCD's again. i still see blur. when i purchased my pioneer mid-way through the year all the manufacturers had released this years models LCD's and i ended up trying 5 of them out at my house before i decided LCD was not for me. all had motion blur issues especially with 24p play back on blu-ray. some were over processed causing the film to look fake or sped-up. some were too laggy and comparing two LCD's side by side one would sometimes be almost a quarter second behind if not more. keep in mind a plasma doesn't have a 4ms response time like LCD's do, they are way way faster than LCD's.

BTW, LCD's should last longer than 60k and plasma are way above that marker for half life now.

if anyone is still wanting to learn more i'd highly recommend avsforum. i've been a member there for more than a few years now.

current setup

denon 1909
klipsch rf-82's
klipsch rc-62
klipsch rs-52
klipsch R-2650-C
Epik Castle sub
Gik acoustic panels and a few bass traps
Pioneer 5010
samsung bdp-1500 (won it at work )
Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #85
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbourjay View Post
here's the only thing i will comment on about LCD's again. i still see blur.
They look blurry to me, too.
I just flat don't like them for a whole bunch of reasons. I'd rather have a tube when it gets right down to it.
It's a matter of preference, I suppose. I say that because I wouldn't have an ED plasma, either. It looks like I'm watching tv through a screen door.
I can't tell a quality difference between most plasmas, although some dlp's really suck.
All my tv's (2hd plasmas and one dlp, all toshiba) have "cable clear" software that cleans up bad cable signals beautifully. Even the worst channels look decent.
At this point I'm a full throttle Toshiba fanboi, but they've earned it.
They're good stuff. If it weren't for Toshiba I'd definately have Samsungs because I like their picture, too.
I've heard wonderful things said about Panasonic but I just don't like their picture the way I like Toshiba and Samsung. Samsung stuff is a lot more expensive or I'd have bought them in the first place.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #86
RGD.
God Like Status

RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
. . .

current setup

denon 1909

How do you like the 1909? I have the 3808CI upstairs and was looking at the 2808CI or the 1909 which I really like also for the downstairs.

I joined AVForums a while back when trying to figure out some programing on the 3808 but never posted the question(s). My electrician (certified Denon dealer/installer who I bought it through) stopped by to help and went through my whole setup for me.
But I have done a whole ton of reading there over - boat load of info.

Ron
Old 12-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #87
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Blu-Ray burners are becoming cheaper and cheaper by the day my friend
I know - keeping an eye on them
Doubt I will get to the basement until next summer - so I have a while.

Quote:
Actually with today's technology you can my friend. Most HD DVR's as well as Blu-Ray/DVD players come with a screen saver function so that even if you do pause for an hour, the set is still fine.
I have Cox cable and their DVR - which will actually blank the screen out. They are finishing up installing the Verizon Fios lines on my street - so looking to change over as soon as it's ready. Suppose to have been available last month. Looking forward to at least tripling my internet speeds -

Ron
Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #88
barbourjay

Quote:
How do you like the 1909? I have the 3808CI upstairs and was looking at the 2808CI or the 1909 which I really like also for the downstairs.

I joined AVForums a while back when trying to figure out some programing on the 3808 but never posted the question(s). My electrician (certified Denon dealer/installer who I bought it through) stopped by to help and went through my whole setup for me.
But I have done a whole ton of reading there over - boat load of info.

Ron

i love it, dynamic volume is great for everyday TV watching. i got a great deal on the unit at the time from an online dealer and it was like 25$ over cost as a promotion. way more than enough to run my high sensitivity speakers.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #89
barbourjay

Quote:

I have Cox cable and their DVR - which will actually blank the screen out. They are finishing up installing the Verizon Fios lines on my street - so looking to change over as soon as it's ready. Suppose to have been available last month. Looking forward to at least tripling my internet speeds -

Ron
i had brighthouse before and now i've got fios. i get a ton more channels in HD but the picture quality is all really the same.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #90
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
i had brighthouse before and now i've got fios. i get a ton more channels in HD but the picture quality is all really the same.
I currently have 75 HD channels - with exactly four HD movie channels - one each of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz -

Ron
Old 12-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #91
Resipsa

Quote:
was looking at the 2808CI or the 1909 which I really like also for the downstairs.

Ron
I recently got the 988, (same thing as the 2808CI basically but branded for the big box stores)

You can get a 988 or 2808 for about 50 more than the 1909 and it is a FAR superior piece of equipment than the 1909 (Burr-Brown DAC's, etc).

The only advantage the 1909, or any of the 9 series may have, is Dynamic volume which the 8 series didn't have. For me the 988 was a better choice.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #92
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
I recently got the 988, (same thing as the 2808CI basically but branded for the big box stores)

You can get a 988 or 2808 for about 50 more than the 1909 and it is a FAR superior piece of equipment than the 1909 (Burr-Brown DAC's, etc).

The only advantage the 1909, or any of the 9 series may have, is Dynamic volume which the 8 series didn't have. For me the 988 was a better choice.
i almost bought the 2808, i played then at the local shop over and over again and i couldn't hear the difference. i could hear the difference when dynamic volume was engaged for normal tv watching. i ended up with the 1909.

the problem with receivers is that they are like cigars. one person can hear a difference while the other can't.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #93
Resipsa

Quote:
i almost bought the 2808, i played then at the local shop over and over again and i couldn't hear the difference. i could hear the difference when dynamic volume was engaged for normal tv watching. i ended up with the 1909.

the problem with receivers is that they are like cigars. one person can hear a difference while the other can't.
While I agree that, to date, people like Dynamic Volume, as a matter of the hardware and software features the 1909 isn't in the same class as the 988/2808. No way I was going to spend the same amount of money on a machine that is way outclassed just for one feature, when there were a TON of features the 2808 has that the 1909 doesn't, and from a technogical/hardware standpoint the 2808 is far superior.

The real comparison is the 2808/988 to the 2809, which is simply the 2808 with Dynamic Volume added to it. My GF scored the 988 for $500 for me as a xmas present. Best price for the 2809 right now, if you can still get the Black Friday price, is $750. Not worth it to me for her to spend half again as much for one single feature that's unproven. To get the 988 at $500 when a year ago it was selling for $1,200 is an absolute steal. A year or two from now I'll be able to sell it for what she paid for it and upgrade again if I want, while a year from now I'll be able to grab a 1909 for around $250.

For me it wasn't really a difficult decision, but everyone has their own wants and needs.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #94
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Didn't know that - but the 2808 was my first pick and top of the list. I haven't shopped price yet as my basement isn't done yet. Just making my list and planning on what wires and cables I'll need to be running -

Quote:
Isn't that the truth! For me though - I don't have the "have to keep up with the Jone's" syndrome. The 3808 just replaced my old JVC setup from 1985. Matter of fact I just gave my daughter the JBL's from that setup which still crank to take back to college with her.

So hopefully the 3808 will give me the same years of service.

Ron