Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #261
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: iPhone Sucks and Apple are Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
Serious iphone question tho, does one get used to texting on a touch screen, and can it be done reasonably fast compared to a physical kb?
I used a BB for 5+ yrs and it certainly took a little getting used to, but the auto-spell correct is amazingly accurate so you won't find it that bad. I do miss the delete key (vs just the backspace) and the ability to easily to to the middle of a word to correct spelling and punctuation though. Unfortunately the auto-correct is almost too accurate as it doesn't force you to become more accurate in your touch strokes and that always catches me out in fields like usernames and passwords that done use the auto-correct feature.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #262
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

4 replies and no real answer (sort of) ! I should have expected that from THIS thread
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #263
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
4 replies and no real answer (sort of) ! I should have expected that from THIS thread
I can use a touchscreen keyboard just fine, that doesn't mean you will. Why not go to an Apple Store and play around with one. Sorry I don't like to objectify a subjective questions
Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #264
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Serious iphone question tho, does one get used to texting on a touch screen, and can it be done reasonably fast compared to a physical kb?
To the first part, I am sure that is a Yes with just about everyone.
To the second part, Don't know.
I never had a regular keyboard like on a Blackberry.
Only thing I have ever known, other than a standard phone's keys is that of the iPhone.
I have gotten use to it much better after they enabled us to go horizontal also with the keyboard.
I personally type pretty fast with it.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #265
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The self correction sucks once it learns an incorrect spelled word. The landscape mode makes typing quite easy, but on the original phone it's a little slow switching views.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #266
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
so after reading about 2 or 3 pages of this 13 page thread, i've concluded that you all agree that iphones are great and i should buy one when new hardware is released in july along with iphone os4.0, correct? Or perhaps the nexus one.

You may find that the Blackberry "dueling thumbs" method doesn't translate too well and switch to the "one-hand-hunt-and-peck".

I went from a physical keyboard (HTC Mogul) to an all touchscreen 3 phones ago and it did take some getting used to. There are good and bad software keyboards just like there are good and bad hardware keyboards. I think the iPhone's keyboard is exceptional (in my limited use - the wife has an iPod touch).
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #267
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
For those who can't get used to the idea of no having a physical keyboard you'd better get used to it. Today, tomorrow, or 3 years from now they ARE going away eventually. Haven't you ever seen star trek, LOL

I've gotten to the point where I can type far faster on my iPhone then I ever could on a blackberry
Quote:
so after reading about 2 or 3 pages of this 13 page thread, i've concluded that you all agree that iphones are great and i should buy one when new hardware is released in july along with iphone os4.0, correct? Or perhaps the nexus one.

Quote:
WOW! Look at what happens when you use an Iphone, I was able to answer your question before you even asked it!!!

Guess reading a thread to see what's up is becoming a lost art (just so long as we're using sarcastic rolly eyes and what not, I wanted to join in)

Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #268
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
^^^WTF^^^
Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #269
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Just asking....

If the moderators can ban political discussions, why can't they ban Mac vs. PC threads?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #270
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
Partagas
baldanders is on a distinguished road

Love my Blackberry!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #271
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
Just asking....

If the moderators can ban political discussions, why can't they ban Mac vs. PC threads?

Now that there is funny indeed.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #272
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
Just asking....

Because the 91% of the world that uses PCs doesn't care enough to post, while every one of those threads turn into an Apple Support Group therapy session. All the Apple users flock en masse to such threads to tell everyone else how special they are. It makes it seem like the market share numbers are reversed and Apple is winning with a 91-3 advantage. If these threads were banned, the fear is that too many Apple users would feel lonely and bored with their lack of applications.

tongue firmly in cheek from a biased Windows Server admin
Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #273
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Because the 91% of the world that uses PCs doesn't care enough to post, while every one of those threads turn into an Apple Support Group therapy session. All the Apple users flock en masse to such threads to tell everyone else how special they are. It makes it seem like the market share numbers are reversed and Apple is winning with a 91-3 advantage. If these threads were banned, the fear is that too many Apple users would feel lonely and bored with their lack of applications.

amen brother. Apple users definitely love to shout to the world how great it is and how superior they are. I always find it funny that my 3 year old winmo phone does things the iphone can't do because hitler locks down everything on there phone.

apple tells it's users what they need and the sheep eat it up. Bah bah flash is bad. LoL. I know cause my master told me. He said to buy some games and some apps. He loves my money and I love giving it to him.

My wife gave up hers recently as she got tired of spending over 100 a month for crappy phone service.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #274
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
amen brother. Apple users definitely love to shout to the world how great it is and how superior they are. I always find it funny that my 3 year old winmo phone does things the iphone can't do because hitler locks down everything on there phone.

apple tells it's users what they need and the sheep eat it up. Bah bah flash is bad. LoL. I know cause my master told me. He said to buy some games and some apps. He loves my money and I love giving it to him.

My wife gave up hers recently as she got tired of spending over 100 a month for crappy phone service.
Stereotypes are fun.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #275
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Because the 91% of the world that uses PCs doesn't care enough to post,
I'm one of the 91% that uses a PC and doesn't care about the PC/Apple argument.

Insert quote here.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #276
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post

Perspectives are amusing at times.

You see blue.

I see green.

As result, I call it green.

As result to that result, you say things like I need to shout out to the world how great green is.

Can it not be my perspective of green regardless and not have to do with any urgency to shout out to the world anything? Can the same shoe be on the other foot relative to PC users? I could be wrong, but our perspective has been one of why we like our world better and not one of beating up on the other side for their view of their world. I don't need to sell anyone anything. An opinion is asked, and one is offered. Beauty is that with your money, buy all the PC's you want while I use my money to shop for my next Mac as I want the PRO next and will give mine to my wife or daughter.

I love my iPhone.
My son loves his iPhone.
My friends all love their iPhones.
We have no reception problems.
I pay $72 a month, with taxes and all.
Am I trying to shout anything to the world? Works for me. Why should I not state that if asked for an opinion?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #277
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Perspectives are amusing at times.

You see blue.

I see green.

As result, I call it green.

As result to that result, you say things like I need to shout out to the world how great green is.

Can it not be my perspective of green regardless and not have to do with any urgency to shout out to the world anything? Can the same shoe be on the other foot relative to PC users? I could be wrong, but our perspective has been one of why we like our world better and not one of beating up on the other side for their view of their world. I don't need to sell anyone anything. An opinion is asked, and one is offered. Beauty is that with your money, buy all the PC's you want while I use my money to shop for my next Mac as I want the PRO next and will give mine to my wife or daughter.

I love my iPhone.
My son loves his iPhone.
My friends all love their iPhones.
We have no reception problems.
I pay $72 a month, with taxes and all.
Am I trying to shout anything to the world? Works for me. Why should I not state that if asked for an opinion?
No offense was intended. I am speaking more to the PC/Mac argument. Although I love my WinMo phone and the dozens of free apps I have on it. I can scan business cards directly into my Outlook contacts, listen to FM radio, take pics with my 5 megapixel camera, use Google Maps w/ builtin GPS, and tether my laptop to it (using my phone's data connection to give web access to my laptop) without a USB cable in sight (via WiFi). All of this is on my two year old Samsung Omnia WinMo 6.5 phone. I think the first 5 MP camera on an iPhone just came out.

Anyway, I'm not belittling anyone's opinion. We each have our own. I was just mixing some stats with sarcasm to poke fun at the other side. It's all in good fun.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #278
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Can't we all just agree that we have different opinions on this topic and realize that our experiences are entirely subjective?

Mac's Rock/PC's Rock/XXX rocks.....see.....easy
Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #279
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Can't we all just agree that we have different opinions on this topic and realize that our experiences are entirely subjective?

Mac's Rock/PC's Rock/XXX rocks.....see.....easy
no.

lol
Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #280
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
no.

lol