Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #41
Miket156

Thumbs up Re: Advice for B&M customers anyone?

Silound:

I read your entire post and it sounds more than reasonable to me. Of course, you are expecting people to be courteous and considerate of others, that might be a stretch. I've never worked in a cigar shop but I have worked in retail for a number of years. People can be rude.

Something else comes to mind when shopping in a B&M. Don't come in empty handed. I bring my own Butane lighter and my own cutter. Whenever I go in there and want to smoke a cigar, I buy at least one or more of what they have in stock. The last time I went to a well stocked B&M (back home during the holidays) I was like a kid in a candy store. Me and my nephew were cruising the inventory and an employee came over and asked if he could be of assistance. I said yes and started asking him about different smokes he had in stock. Then he asked me what i usually smoked (what cigars I have appreciated) and then he made a few suggestions, like "Well, if you like that then you might also like this". Very cool. I took him up on several of his suggestions and ended up getting some great cigars that I didn't know anything about before I walked in the store. I spent about $65.00. My nephew bought some accessories too. Then we retired to the TV room and smoked a cigar. It was a very nice experience. We didn't get in the way and didn't annoy anyone. Both me and my nephew joined their "club" card membership and got on their email list.

I wish that store was closer to where i live.

As far as a cigar store employee being "young", if someone is working in a cigar store, then I have to assume he knows something about cigars. At my age (63) EVERYONE in the store is younger than me. I'm not reluctant to ask their opinion or a question. Sometimes they provide information on specials or box prices, shipping charges if I want to order when I get back home, etc. I try to be friendly and courteous. I don't walk on water but I try not to upset the apple cart, which is their place of business.

Cheers,

Mike T.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 AM   #42
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice
Default Re: Advice for B&M customers anyone?

It really frosts me when approaching a cigar store when there are cigar butts littered up and down the block near the store. Show some respect for the shop's owner and his neighbors.

Also, don't park in another business's lot unless you have permission. A shop near me is in a historical neighborhood, lots of old homes and businesses. Next door is an insurance guy with three spots for customers. He's had to put up hundreds of dollars in signs to protect his little lot from inconsiderate B&M customers. The signs really detract from the historical beauty of the neighborhood. What gets me is that there are dozens of metered parking spots surrounding the place. Pay the quarter people!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:35 AM   #43
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

It can happen in minutes. Looks like they start with Padron Anny's. This couple is slick. When an employee comes in, the man distracts him while his wife stuffs her pocketbook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNVL1nNaEgw
Old 03-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #44
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
It can happen in minutes. Looks like they start with Padron Anny's. This couple is slick. When an employee comes in, the man distracts him while his wife stuffs her pocketbook.

That is just sickening...
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #45
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Except that without customers, there wouldn't be a shop.

Just curious, do you own the shop or work there?
Worked there for three years before I graduated.

Unfortunately, I feel that a cigar shop is no different than any other business, which means that while I'd make every effort to make a customer happy if they want something reasonable, but I'm not going to make sacrifices to store policy, or give you special treatment over other customers, or let you get away with anything that other people can't, or give them steep discounts. Wal-Mart doesn't give you a %25 discount because you bought some high dollar item that sells real well, even if you badger them about it incessantly like a spoiled child.

Some people simply feel entitled just because they spend some money there. Again, it's the whole "spend a little, expect to be treated like royalty" attitude.

Really, there's no pleasing some people, but some people want too much. If it's not a one time thing, or if it could set a dangerous trend for the shop, it's not something to just agree to lightly. You can't let one guy start making a scene about a discount and get away with it, or you run the risk of others seeing it happen and trying to imitate it, which leads to either a loss for the shop, or multiple pissed off customers instead of just one (because eventually you have to put a stop to it).

It is very much a balancing act to keep people pleased without it being of detriment to the shop.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #46
Miket156

Smile Re: Advice for B&M customers anyone?

"spend a little, expect to be treated like royalty" attitude"

Yep, that's a problem. If you buy one cigar, sit and smoke it and mind your business. Don't make a nuisance of yourself. Be thoughtful of other people that are in the store. Just because you spent 6 or 7 bucks on a smoke doesn't mean you own the place.

Mike T.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #47
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:

My stomach hurts after watching that!

I hope they got busted big time!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #48
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post

My stomach hurts after watching that!

I hope they got busted big time!!!
They need to post their picture on the front door of every business within 3 miles of that B&M. The picture should have a headline "Thieves"
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #49
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Well... my list of particulars could go on for quite a while... so I will try to keep it to a minimum.

1) Don't be an @$$hole. The Golden Rule applies... even in cigar stores.

2) Don't be a cheap @$$. I realize that everyone has different levels of income and budgets for cigars, but picking up a $25 bundle of cigars and hounding the employee/owner about the price/discount... see rule #1.

3) Look up the definition of the word "Patronage". Strive to be a true Patron of the store.

4) Cigar Accesories should be brought with you or purchased at the store if possible. I would happily loan you a cutter to use... provided you're not the type who feels the need to coat the entire cap/cigar with saliva before using said cutter.

5) If you bring Booze, you be generous enough to bring enough to share with the employee/owner if they so choose to provide a haven for you to enjoy it. If it's a place that serves booze, you should not BYOB.

6) Thou Shalt not ash on my floor/couch/tv stand/coffe table/toilet seat/etc. and not make an effort to clean it up. Accidents happen, of course, but most stores I have been in... anywhere you stand or sit there is an ashtray within arms reach.

7) The remote control privelages can be taken away at the owner's discretion. Do not hound me to watch another episode of Modern Marvels if you've been there watching it for 4 hours already. The Kardashians should never be on in a cigar store. Period.

8) If free beverages are an offer the store makes... be considerate. I don't think you really need 6 Moutain Dews in a row anyway.

9) Thou Shalt not steal. Ever. Or I'll club your knees in with an axe handle.

And Finally

10) Always enjoy yourself and what you're smoking, but not at someone else's expense.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #50
Miket156

Smile Re: Advice for B&M customers anyone?

May I add that "some" of us would rather buy cigars while at the local B&M, bring them home and put in our humidor for awhile before smoking. So, if we want to smoke one of our own cigars that was not purchased at the local B&M, be sure to ask the owner if you can smoke your own while in the store PROVIDED you buy something (preferably cigars) while you are there. If the owner says NO, follow the rules. If he allows you to smoke one of your own on his premises, keep quiet about it. Once you take the label off, roll it up and put it in a waste basket, no one will know what you're smoking unless you tell them.

How do those of you that work/own a B&M feel about that?

Cheers,

Mike T.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #51
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I would think that's fair. Maybe they don't keep their humidor at your preferred RH.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #52
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I've done it a few times...What's going to keep them open if people just come in and don't buy but smoke their own stuff? I'll usually bring a 3 cigar holder and just swap one I bought with one I'm going to smoke.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #53
timo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (0)
timo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Not cleaning up after your group when you leave.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics
timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #54
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I hate the know it alls. You ask an employee about a stick and the know it all customer steps on him and proceeds to try and tell me everything he thinks he knows and than proceeds to tell me why I shouldn't smoke the stick I asked about but insists I try X, Y or Z instead because they are his favorite. These are usually the guys that live at the shop and even most of the staff can't tolerate them.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #55
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by full count View Post
Hey buddy! "Got any Macanudos"?
that is the worst of all!
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #56
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:

This video makes me sick. I wish we could go to a system where it's eye for an eye style. You steal, you lose a hand. You steal again, you lose the other one. You get the idea! The best part of that video is they think they are being so slick about it meanwhile they are in dead view of the camera.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #57
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I hate the know-it-alls.
Fixed that for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #58
RandJCigars
JSR

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (3)
RandJCigars is on a distinguished road

This is a great Topic. My experiences are similar to all of yours. The price thing is what gets me the most. Here in Texas, cigar taxes are at a minimum (1.1 cents per stick), which allows me to be quite competitive with everyone....including all the online giants.

To be honest with you, their prices aren't that great when it comes to box pricing and single stick pricing. I got that covered easily. It's the sampler packages that I have to explain to customers. From time to time, I get a gentleman coming in carrying a catalog from one of the Online Giants, and he whips it open and points to a particular package. What most of these guys are looking at is stick Quantity, not quality. They'll be pointing at a sampler that has 25 sticks for $30 and all the sticks in there are garbage. Or even the samplers that include some decent sticks, but mixed in there are 5 Vegas and Padilla "Hybrid". Most of us retailers know, from being in the business, that these gimmicks work very well. It just gets old explaining that 5 Vegas is just some garbage CI came out with, or Rocky Patel "Connecticut" is not the same as Rocky Patel Vintage 99'. Once these customers are educated, I feel they appreciate the honesty and the lesson.

Down here in Houston, it rains alot. Well in the shopping center I am in, there is a flower bed in front of the store. On a rainy day, I cannot count how many times people park curb side....run through the muddy flower bed....come inside the store for 1 cigar....hand me their soaking wet money...and run out as if their shoe prints aren't all over the tile. Really bugs me...

The cell phone thing isn't an issue for me here, people just seem to recognize that their conversations should be kept to theirselves outside before they come in.

Another big one for me, is what another member mentioned above. Someone will come in, and look for 10 minutes at everything you have, and pick the one thing you don't carry (vitola wise) and blurt out "Oh you don't have Macanudo XYZ!?" when there is like 9 different sizes of Macanudo on the shelf. I find it kind of interesting though, because when I call them out on their bluff, they usually man up and buy something realizing that they just made an ass out of theirselves in front of (usually) 5-6 guys sitting down and smoking. There are those, however, that come in and ask for certain things from the "Big 5" I call it (Cohiba, Montecristo, Macanudo, Punch, and Romeo) but are highly acceptable to suggestions of a better stick and better value for the same price range. Those are the customers that come in the next time and usually Thank me for "opening my eyes".

Let's keep this topic going, its always interesting to hear what other retailers have to say about their day to day experiences in their stores.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #59
Bad Finger

1. If you are going to be touching sticks, wash your hands

2. Don't over-handle the sticks. People like those oils on their stogies, not on your hands

3. Introduce yourself to the proprietor. A little friendliness goes a long way

4. If you are new to the shop, but not to cigars, maybe bringing in one of your fav or special sticks to give the shop owner might be a good way of introducing yourself.

5. Don't be a dick. If you are being pushy, overbearing, or just rude...expect rudeness back.

6. Don't ask for Cubans. Haven't had them since 51.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #60
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandJCigars View Post
Or even the samplers that include some decent sticks, but mixed in there are 5 Vegas and Padilla "Hybrid". Most of us retailers know, from being in the business, that these gimmicks work very well. It just gets old explaining that 5 Vegas is just some garbage CI came out with, or Rocky Patel "Connecticut" is not the same as Rocky Patel Vintage 99'. Once these customers are educated, I feel they appreciate the honesty and the lesson.
Although if your intent is to just steer them away from the 5 Vegas "garbage" and into something from your store, I'd say you were doing more marketing and less educating. I'm not a retailer or even a cigar expert, but 5 Vegas makes some pretty good sticks, price point aside.

Not trying to start something, just my

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote