Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #41
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tatuaje Saints & Sinners club

I got the email, but I am not joining if all you get is a discount and some swag, if there is a sampler involved maybe.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #42
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Thanks for posting the info, Aaron.

If nothing else, 15 Tatuaje-ish cigars could be worth $150- if you enjoy their line up.
I agree totally and would probably pull the trigger if this were the case. The e-mail doesn't mention anything of the sort though other than more or less donating your money.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #43
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

In all seriousness...

The first time I heard about this was back in November directly from Pete (apparently I was the only person there who had never heard of this project) and Pete said he was doing it for the people who like these kinds of things. Apparently, Pete is as much a collector as he is a smoker and he said he loves going after the HTF and exclusive **** and he knows that there are other people like this too, so he wanted to cater to them a bit.

He did say there will be some exclusive stuff and even some older stuff.

Is he going to make money on it? Sure. It is his job after all. But through that, Pete is just a regular guy who loves cigars like the rest of us, he just happens to make them also.

Does he plan on bilking people or taking advantage of them? It didn't sound that way. Really sounded like a membership fee to get access to cigars that won't see general release, but the sale prices will be in line with his other MSRPs.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #44
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
If there is no more included in it than discounts and access to LEs and the other items mentioned in the e-mail than $150 is steep in my opinion. If the membership includes some swag and maybe an exclusive sampler of sticks than no it's not too off the wall but if I am going to pay $150 I would like to get more in return than the promise of be able to buy more of Petes stuff even if it's discounted. The way the e-mail went out it makes it almost sound like the Sams Club or Costco of Tatuaje. I was kind of excited to see what the Saints and Sinners would be but after this mornings e-mail I was quickly disappointed from how it initially sounded in the rumblings in the past months. Initially I had heard if you were a member you would be sent test blends, samples of up and coming sticks, swag etc.
Straight from Pete (and the person working with Pete on the project):

"The pack has changed slightly over the last few weeks but will still include the same quantity that was originally mentioned." (i.e. 15 cigars)...

When someone asked "Im hoping it was the regular production stuff that was x-ed and the exclusive stuff stayed"

Pete said:

"I just changed a few sizes. The mix of reg and exclusive is still the same. "

Hope that helps!

~brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #45
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhren View Post
Another thought I had before I head out for a run...

IF you can afford to smoke Tatuaje (or any other high-$ sticks for that matter) is the $150 that steep of a price tag?

M

I'm fairly certain I can afford smoking only high end cigars out there, but that dont mean I'll just fork over $150.00 for belly button lint.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #46
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks W View Post
Straight from Pete (and the person working with Pete on the project):

"The pack has changed slightly over the last few weeks but will still include the same quantity that was originally mentioned." (i.e. 15 cigars)...

When someone asked "Im hoping it was the regular production stuff that was x-ed and the exclusive stuff stayed"

Pete said:

"I just changed a few sizes. The mix of reg and exclusive is still the same. "

Hope that helps!

~brooks
Thanks!
Unless it is actually stated on the initial sign up page on the 1st than I will take a pass on it as if it's not in writing than technically they don't need to send chit. I'm hoping what you posted does end up coming to fruition as I would probably jump on it. Even if I never take advantage of the discounts at least at the end of the day I will feel like I actually paid for something.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #47
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

This just confirms my opinion of Pete as the Scotty Cameron of cigar retailers. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like a limited edition Tatuaje headcov--um, cutter for $400 and available exclusively to club members.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #48
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

If there are 10 cigars for my $150 I will be in (I pretty much just did that for a box of La Verite anyway).
Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #49
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Sorry, I'll take Tats whenever I can get them, but creating a new 'class' of cigar goes against everything a BOTL should stand for.
Fixed that.........and that's exactly why I don't shop in Australia.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #50
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhren View Post
Pete - your personal thoughts? (Not what you think others will/should do...just your own ideas)

membership = Good idea?
membership = Bad idea?

M

For me, bad idea. For you, only you can aswer that?

Now if Pete's cigars had that "sweet spot" that Sam Leccia/Nub claims to have, you might get me thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #51
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
I'm fairly certain I can afford smoking only high end cigars out there, but that dont mean I'll just fork over $150.00 for belly button lint.
Not even Pete Johnson belly button lint?
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #52
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds a lot like joining a band fan site to have the first option of buying concert tickets. Pay your money, find out that the 'exclusive deals' are just a week early and you can buy them for a cheaper price if you waited. It looks like marketing hype to me, $150 to buy stuff that is 'exclusive' to the club and get a nice free sampler. Sign me up so I can buy an exclusive Tatuaje hat that you can also get by: ordering online, going to an event, buying a sampler or a full box. But if you are in the club, you get first crack at buying the hat. Paying money to be the first to pay more money.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #53
klipsch

I heard for initiation, you have to smoke an entire box of Viaje regular production sticks. If you don't upchuck your lower intestine, you get to move onto the next phase which includes the secret decoder ring, that you'll need to decipher the clues to determine how many Tat LE's will be released between May 1st and Dec 31st. It's all very Secret Squirrel...
Old 04-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #54
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
For me, bad idea. For you, only you can aswer that?

Now if Pete's cigars had that "sweet spot" that Sam Leccia/Nub claims to have, you might get me thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is hilarious, his latest attempt to be an even bigger filthy money grubbing whore. Gene Simmons watch out, Pete's trying to take your title! Get the new Tatuaje MONSTER UNDERWEAR!

1. Exclusive, one-off products available only to members (select products may not be available for purchase through the S&S webstore). MORE LIMITEDS?!??! So now what is it 10-12 limiteds a week?
2. Everyday Tatuaje branded merchandise at the Saints & Sinners club rate. A little vague isn't it? We talking swag or smokes? What is the rate?
3. Access to members-only forums, where you can discuss the finer points of cigars, smoking accessories, spirits, and anything else associated with the Saints & Sinners lifestyle YAY I want to be in the cool kids club "members only access" (where's the jerkit smiley?). Tatuaje fans have different lifestyles? (again jerkit smiley please
4. Access to the Pete Johnson video blog. Here, Pete will update members on everything PJHC. Watch Pete as he travels around the world, visiting his production facility in Nicaragua, engages fans on cigar tours, and dishes on anything else he feels his Saints & Sinners family should know about. Sounds like twitter.
5. First looks at new cigar blends, swag, as well as insider info on Tatuaje and other Pete Johnson brands. Big deal, news travels fast on the net...I'm sure by the time you check your email everyone will know already.
6. The knowledge that a portion of your annual membership fee will go to an eclectic mix of charities that Pete choses for their commitment to their particular cause. How much 2%? What charities? More vagueness.

Maybe I'm just in a particularly bad mood but this all sounds like a huge load of $hit.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #55
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Not even Pete Johnson LIMITED EDITION belly button lint?
Eh Eh, bet you would buy it now!
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #56
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Yawn! Typical PT.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #57
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

SO glad I'm not a Tat whore.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #58
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

this guy is a marking genius
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #59
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

While it's probably not for me, as it relates to people chasing his limited releases and such, I can see a similarity to the music industry and fan clubs. Used to be if you wanted a good seat to a show, you simply got to the front of the line. Now, some bands presell tickets, and block off the good seats, to their fan clubs before they are released to the general public. So, if it's your thing, there could be some value to it, if indeed that is the way it works.

Or I could just be a moran.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #60
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Sounds a lot like joining a band fan site to have the first option of buying concert tickets. Pay your money, find out that the 'exclusive deals' are just a week early and you can buy them for a cheaper price if you waited. It looks like marketing hype to me, $150 to buy stuff that is 'exclusive' to the club and get a nice free sampler. Sign me up so I can buy an exclusive Tatuaje hat that you can also get by: ordering online, going to an event, buying a sampler or a full box. But if you are in the club, you get first crack at buying the hat. Paying money to be the first to pay more money.
Agreed. I love Tatuaje cigars but between the marketing and massive releases of limited cigars it is running its course with me. What happened it to being just about the cigar?