Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Don Fernando toro

About a year and a half ago my friend Andrew, co-owner of Guillen cigars, hooked me up with some Don Fernando cigars, a gift that left me speechless and humbled. Nicaraguan puros in four sizes, Belicoso, Corona, Robusto and Toro.

The medium brown wrapper has lots of veins and some spots and darker stripes. The size of this toro is 6x50. The barnyard smell is medium strong. The construction seems a little soft and that results in a little bit loose predraw, which is quite flavorless.

I taste a nice and warm wood flavor with some earth and soon a huge dose of pepper. The cigar is creamy, almost buttery. After an inch the flavor changes to herbs, quite spicy with some nutmeg and other spices. I even taste some chocolate.

After a third I taste more pepper. The chocolate and spices have gone. I taste herbs and pepper and the flavors are mild creamy. A few puffs later I taste a dry and quite strong wood flavor again. Halfway I taste herbs with some wood and lots of pepper with some chocolate. The flavors are still a little bit creamy and buttery. After two thirds I taste herbs, wood and sharp cinnamon. The creaminess fades and is hardly noticeable anymore. Near the end the cinnamon becomes the main flavor.

It took me two hours to finish this cigar, but I enjoyed every minute. The draw is a bit loose. I got an amazing amount of extremely thick smoke. The burn is good. The salt and pepper colored ash is frayed but reasonably firm. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied, I even had a little bit of a vitamin N overdose.

Would I buy this cigar again? I wish, they are all sold out

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 9 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don Fernando toro

I still have a few of these. Nice review of YOUR stick brother.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

These are the same makers of the Miraflor correct?
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Yup
Old 02-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (46)
Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough

I wish I still had some of these and the pinedas. But most of all im glad that you really enjoyed your cigar. Maybe one of these days ill be able to get back into it and make a new batch for you guys.
AndyMadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Sin
Huskin Corn & smkin cgars

First Name: Pete
Trading: (0)
Sin is on a distinguished road

Very cool review. Andy must be a hell of a guy for making this cigar for you
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Very cool Ferdie.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Great Review of your cigar!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
whodeeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
Great Review of your cigar!
+1
Old 02-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Nice brother!