Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Nathan King

Default La Flor Dominicana Air Bender Chisel

Origin: Dominican Republic
Format: Chisel
Size: 6.5 x 54
Wrapper: Ecuador (Habano)
Filler: Dominican Republic
Binder: Dominican Republic
Price: $8.50

La Flor Dominicana owner Litto Gomez has become known as a cigar maker that eagerly bucks tradition with his nearly unbridled creativity. The Air Bender Chisel is no exception with its flattened and tapered head that never fails to remind me of my clarinet playing years in high school.

Appearance: 4/5 stars
The deep brown Ecuadorian wrapper has a nice oily sheen with a few medium sized veins. Tapering in smoothly without any visible folds or buckles, the head of the cigar looks very neat. Oil from the wrapper visibly rose to the surface and formed a very slight bead as the flame licked the foot.
Construction: 2.5/5 stars
Perhaps the most interesting attribute of this cigar is its heft. This cigar is densely packed with tobacco and has no apparent lumps; however, the draw remained slightly restricted even after enlarging the opening on the head. The tapered head concentrated the smoke as expected, but smoke production was lacking slightly.
Flavor: 3.5/5
The Air Bender Chisel has an aggressive flavor and body from the first draw. Dark roasted coffee, cocoa, and spice pierce the palate, leaving an oily and robust pepper finish that doesn’t fade. The flavors are crisp and fresh; however, the abundance of spice made the task of discovering nuance nearly impossible.
Value: 4/5
The chisel burns slowly and provides ample enjoyment to the smoker for eight dollars. As any cigar in this price point should, the Air Bender burned cool until the last few inches without turning bitter.
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 stars
The La Flor Dominicana Air Bender Chisel offers vivid and pleasantly crisp flavors along with a full body. It’s a perfect cigar for admirers of clean bold flavors that leave no guesswork for the smoker; however, the slightly labored draw and superfluous spice make this a cigar lacking depth.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: La Flor Dominicana Air Bender Chisel

Good review! Easily one of my favorite sticks when I want some kick. I do have a question: Did you punch or cut the head?

Believe it or not, it really does make a huge difference in the flavor you get out of this smoke. I didn't believe it until Litto himself showed me how to punch one at a dinner in New Orleans.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Been eyeing these at the B&M, sure to try them next.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
bigdix
Cigarmurai

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review...I've been slowly but surely working my way through a box of the original Chisel and love these too for a "lighter" smoke
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
thecatch83

One of CA's top 25 of 2010 (94 rating).......might have to try
Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Nathan King

Definitely give it a try. I don't know if it deserved a 93, but it's certainly not bad. To answer a previous question, I smoked two of these. One was cut with a guillotine and the other was punched on both sides. The draw was similar on both (slightly tight) but the flavor had slightly different overtones. I think it may have been more of a slight roll anomaly rather than the shaped head itself.