Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Flor de Cesar Black Label

Flor de Cesar Black Label
Vitola: The Tech 5x46
Wrapper: Brazillian
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Dominican/Nicaraguan/Brazillian
Price: Retail $4.95 a stick $89/box of 20 from www.bnbcigars.com More info at wwwflordecesar.com

Setting: Sun Room, a little after 6pm, about 68 degrees out, pairing with a Peach Snapple.

Pre-light: Removing the cello I am greeted with a very nice, if veiny medium brown wrapper. It has a very consistent toothiness to it as well as a nice oily sheen. The smell from the foot is delightfully sweet with just a hint of spice tickling the nose. The cigar is firm with no noticble soft spots. The cigar has a nice rounded cap which made using the cranial screw top method particularly easy. The draw is a tad on the firm side but full of sweet tobacco flavors.

First third: The cigar took some work to come fully alight. When it did I was greeted with rich chocolate cake and coffee flavors right off the bat. The taste is bold from the initial puff but the body is in the medium range. The finish is on the dry side, but not unpleasant. As I get about an inch in the coffee really becomes the dominant flavor. The burn is beautifully straight with a thin burn line and the ash is holding firm so far. The draw while smoking is nigh perfect, with just the right amount of resistance.

Second third: Well, the ash finally let go at about the inch and a half mark. The cigar is still smoking beautifully with a straight burn and great flavors. The coffee has mellowed a bit and a toasty/earthy/woody/chocolate flavor has begun to come out. The cigar has an underly sweetness to it as well, but you almost feel it more than taste it. The body and smoke production have kicked up a notch, with the flavors maintaining a nice intensity. The finish is now less dry, but crisp. A spice has developed as well on the tip of the tongue and a bit at the back of the throat. Not really irritating but it was more pleasant before it developed.

Final third: The body has picked up into the full range, as well as the strength. I haven't eaten since lunch, but I'm really starting to feel this little sucker. The spice remains and intensifies a bit. A bit of a bummer because I find it interferring with all of the subtle flavor changes going on, kind of like loud cymbal clashes over a beautiful aria. But the flavors remain great with different flavors coming to the fore seemingly with each puff, the coffee and toasty taste always there. The ash seems to consistently break off at about the inch and a half mark and the burn is still impeccable, which I find unusual in cigars with such prominent veins. The ash is solid too, both hunks so far fell almost three feet onto the floor and didn't shatter. The finish remains crisp but pleasant.

Final thoughts: I picked these up on my trip to Philadelphia last summer when I happened upon the cigar shop near where my friend lived. The owner gifted me with a first one, as well as the Rojo, and I smoked it in the shop. I must say I really enjoyed it and the coffee undertones, as well as the size of the smoke. I bought five more and smoked one more there which I also enjoyed, gifted a couple, and smoked one more at home which was full of amonia and really unpleasant. I'm glad this one was as the first two and really pleasant. It smoked great and seems like some more time on these would do wonders to smooth them out a bit. I think if I get some Christmas money I'm going to get a box of these. Smoke time was almost exactly an hour.

Smoke again: I'm certainly hoping to but this was my last one.
Buy again: Gonna as soon as I can, wish they were a tad cheaper.
Reccommend: Definitely
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flor de Cesar Black Label

Great review Steve!!! Now I want to try this one!!!

The only problem... If I like it are they going to stop production?

Thank you for a fine job at description and photos!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flor de Cesar Black Label

Another great review Steve. Love your descriptions.
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote