Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #4261
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Pic of my nduja cold smoking. All are currently resting in my curing chamber. I'll try the first after 30 days. I plan to take one to a full year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.8 KB, 405 views)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #4262
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Bob, would it be possible for you to elaborate a bit on your curing chamber setup?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #4263
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Bob, would it be possible for you to elaborate a bit on your curing chamber setup?
It's an old fridge, with a external temp controller that allows me to keep the temp around 50-55F. I then have a humidity controller that controls a ultrasonic humidifier. You want to maintain about 75-80% humidity. Some people put fans in theirs to keep the air moving. I just have the door cracked about 1/2". That's pretty much it. Too out the shelves and put in some wooden dowels to hang the meat from.

Here's a link to a setup I copied. http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/...g-chamber.html

From there it's just a waiting game to achieve a min of 30% weight loss in the meat. Of course there's the work before anything goes into the chamber. Curing with salt, spices, etc.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #4264
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Bob, good info. Love to learn more
Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #4265
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Thanks Bob, good info. Love to learn more
http://frombellytobacon.com/2012/05/09/nduja/

I used regular paprika.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #4266
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Oh, if you meant about curing, the blog I linked for the curing chamber has a lot of good info.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #4267
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Bob. I just put 10 lbs of chicken leg quarters onto the smoker. 300 with applewood on my charcoal UDS. Rubbed them with olive oil then my poultry blend rub under and over the skin. I took a poc right after they went on. I'll have to post it along with an after shot.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #4268
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Thanks Bob!
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #4269
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Thanks Bob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Thanks Bob!
Sure thing. If you have any specific questions, just shot me a PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #4270
Will herf for food

VR

Going to trim some limbs from my 3 apple trees on Saturday. It needs to be done to make them produce better fruit, plus I get to use it in my smoker.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #4271
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Can't wait until spring hits. Warm days makes me want to smoke some meat!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #4272
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Can't wait until spring hits. Warm days makes me want to smoke some meat!!!
AMEN!

I'll be cleaning mine up this weekend. I have a large cook for the church coming up in a couple of weeks, and with all that has been going on with the family it's been forever since I fired her up so I think I'll do a real thorough cleaning and then re-season her up.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #4273
Will herf for food

VR

I've already smoked 30 lbs of chicken leg quarters and two Boston Butts in the cold up here.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #4274
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I'll be doing a couple of cases of butts on the weekend of the 13th, then for Holly's birthday I will probably be doing half a pig and a couple of briskets. Holly has really been wanting brisket lately, but with her treatments nothing tastes right, but by then she should be getting her taste buds back in line.

Planning on celebrating her birthday and her new victory over cancer! A lot of people have been bringing us food over the last six months or so to make our life easier, so I plan on giving back some
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #4275
Will herf for food

VR

Great idea. I wish I could get brisket for less than $4/lb around here. My family exists on my single income so it's usually something I can't afford. Occasionally sure, but when I can get chicken leg quarters for $0.79/lb or pork shoulder for $1.50/lb, It's had to justify the extra cost with any regularity. However, my wife is from Texas and LOVES brisket. I've only smoked one and it came out fantastic. I even got my wife, MIL, and BIL's stamp of approval. Now that I think about it, I need to bite the bullet and get some brisket regardless of the cost.

BTW, glad Holly is doing well. Still praying for her.

Last edited by 357; 03-27-2014 at 01:54 PM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #4276
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Thanks, we really appreciate all of the continued prayers!

I hate to spend the money as well as we have been down to a single income, but considering, I figure it's worth it. It sure doesn't happen often. Someone in my BILs family killed a pig earlier this month, so I will be doing that up for them, so that will help keep costs down a bit.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #4277
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

On Wednesday I was hungry when I got home, which I rarely am because I nibble all day long.
I looked in the fridge and there was not a single bite of MEAT anywhere in the fridge. So I have to
smoke something this weekend. Tonight is a washout, but I have 4 racks of BBRs, a few whole chickens,
It will be interesting to see what finally ends up next to the coals.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #4278
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Ha, I am so out of practice that I smoked a rack of BBRs and a pack of WSPRS and didn't take a single picture.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #4279
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Weather is starting to turn here, and I picked up a couple of chickens to smoke this weekend.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #4280
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Smoked an 8 lb butt and it turned out great. Put it on about 0930 before church and got it leveled around 275F before I left. Got home and it was 285F. Kept it around 270F most of the day. About 7 hours and she read 200F internal. I had brined it for 12 hours with salt, garlic, and brown sugar solution. It turned out moist and juicy. Made some slaw and had a couple of friends over. Great sandwiches!. Sorry no pics.

Couldn't help it as BiLo had butts for $1.29/lb. I snagged two of them. Once in a blue moon you may see it lower per lb, but it's hard to pass on a buck twenty nine after all the high prices all winter.