Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #441
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
What did you plow your garden with? What kind of equip?
I have an older 27 hp Kubota tractor, use a four-foot, 12 blade disc I turn it with. I generally turn it under several times over several days. Before I phantom, I have a small tiller made by Echo that looks exactly like the Mantas tillers. Othewise, I use a hoe, garden rake and a four-tine garden rake. Wish I had a tiller attachment for the tractor. But too costly for once a year use. Most of work after the initial plowing is by hand. I leave rues far enough apart I can use the Echo to keep weeds at bay.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #442
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I have an older 27 hp Kubota tractor, use a four-foot, 12 blade disc I turn it with. I generally turn it under several times over several days. Before I phantom, I have a small tiller made by Echo that looks exactly like the Mantas tillers. Othewise, I use a hoe, garden rake and a four-tine garden rake. Wish I had a tiller attachment for the tractor. But too costly for once a year use. Most of work after the initial plowing is by hand. I leave rues far enough apart I can use the Echo to keep weeds at bay.
I have a Craftsman garden tractor I was thinking of getting a single bottom plow, discs, and possibly a rake for. I don't have a sleeve hitch but it's designed to accept one. I can probably get at least the plow and discs for $200-300 used and another $100-150 for the sleeve hitch. I know they don't compare to a CUT or SCUT level tractor but I'd really like to give it a shot. I've seen videos and talked to others online who've done up to an acre size garden with a setup like mine.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #443
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Still WAY too wet in our part of the South to even think about gardening. Feast or famine when it comes to rain over the past couple of years.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #444
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Yea, we had two nice days of sunshine and warmth after I planted ours, followed by going on three days of rain...argh!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #445
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff, if you had a tiller for that tractor you'd use it every day. Your yard would look like the surface of the moon. They are THAT much fun.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #446
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Cliff, if you had a tiller for that tractor you'd use it every day. Your yard would look like the surface of the moon. They are THAT much fun.
I've got six acres....... So probably not JUST the yard!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #447
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Well, I must have done something right. I have lettuce starting to sprout on two rows. I'm surprised they didn't drown with all the rain we had the last two days!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #448
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Water lettuce
Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #449
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Water lettuce
Old 03-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #450
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Doing my first garden in a long while this year.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #451
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
This little diesel GT is for sale in my small town.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/grd/4384212200.html

VERY tempting but cash is tight.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #452
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
This little diesel GT is for sale in my small town.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/grd/4384212200.html

VERY tempting but cash is tight.
Mine's actually a little bigger. Basically this one, with a different set of turf tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KubotaL275.jpg (60.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #453
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Looked in in my garden yesterday. I saw about 6 of the 30+ garlic bulbs, sprouting out of the ground. Let's hope this years harvest is better than last.

Tomorrow I'm going to transplant some of my seedlings into bigger pots. My tomato plants already have their second set of leaves, but the stems are spindly.

Was also thinking if the suns out, heading to Lowes for some cedar boards. Need to redo some of my planting beds.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #454
azar
It is what it is!

First Name: Mack
Trading: (18)
azar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Looked in in my garden yesterday. I saw about 6 of the 30+ garlic bulbs, sprouting out of the ground. Let's hope this years harvest is better than last.

Tomorrow I'm going to transplant some of my seedlings into bigger pots. My tomato plants already have their second set of leaves, but the stems are spindly.

Was also thinking if the suns out, heading to Lowes for some cedar boards. Need to redo some of my planting beds.
Wow you have sprouts already! My garden as of right now is frozen! Can not wait I a new Craftsman tiller waiting to go to work. Bought on clearance last year. Its a small front tine 24" can't wait to break him out.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #455
Django
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Django
Trading: (1)
HdM
Django is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azar View Post
Wow you have sprouts already! My garden as of right now is frozen! ...
All my garlic and shallots (see some on the left side) have sprouted here already a while back. They are mostly quite early varieties though
Old 03-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #456
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I went and checked again today, I counted 12 sprouts popping out of the ground. So a few more in just a couple days. We've had slightly higher temps and a lot more sun, which is thawing out my planting beds.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #457
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Looking good Django.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #458
azar
It is what it is!

First Name: Mack
Trading: (18)
azar is on a distinguished road

Looks like a good start for the year!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #459
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Been finding these in garden since last rain. Have at least two, maybe as many as four that must be walking thru. NOT a promising find considering the seed crops I'll be planting in a week. Haven't had a fence around it before, but may need one this year if the deer discover it.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #460
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Well, the meat getter hasn't managed to kill the green stuff yet.

Looks like I'lll be spending some time this weekend weeding it though.