Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Panned cigars you enjoy

OK, here is an interesting twist to start a discussion. What is the cigar that you really enjoy, but seems to be downplayed, or it is rated poorly - here or someplace else. For example, Gurkhas are generally thought to be overhyped and overpriced, and most consider them dog rockets - but someone must like them because they sell a lot of them.

I remember the Havana Classico line in the late 1990s. They came out and were priced a bit out of line. Then JR snatched up a snot-load of them at ridiculous prices and sold them cheaply. I picked up a few boxes at ridiculously low prices (they were marketed at $10+ a stick) and they were an excellent cigar (I don't spend $10 on a cigar now 15 years later). Anyway, I got some of the real bargain version over on CI as cheap smoke to give away to moochers and to burn as a quickie (they are 5X32). Well, surprisingly, I enjoy them as a quickie. And at about $.50 a stick, they are better than a Swisher by a dam site - for a hand-rolled, long filler cigar, with a capped head... not bad at all. (yes, I took one apart to see that it was long filler.

I also enjoy a number of cigars that get little or no press, I do not know if they are panned, but as many here know, I enjoy some of the old stalwart standbys that have been around for many years - El Rey del Mundo Robustos being at the top of the list, and Punch Rothschilds, both of which are much as I remember them from many years past.

So, what cigar is out there that you enjoy which is either panned, avoided, disparaged, ridiculed, thought of as a "cheap cigar", a "yard gar", or simply ignored?
Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Panned cigars you enjoy

CI Legends Red (perdomo)
Old 09-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Cigar.com House Blends, especially the Purple Label. A nice, middle of the road smoke. Cheap too!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
TXSmokey
huh

First Name: Richard
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road

Quorum, they're cheap everyday smokes. and not bad for the price
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

what does "panned" mean?

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
what does "panned" mean?
Webster says - Panned: (Verb used with object) Informal. to criticize severely, as in a review of a play.

In regard to cigars, when someone states their dislike of a particular cigar.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Ah, the moped question.

Mine would be Quintero Nacionales (CC). I bought a box a few years ago because of price. I was happily surprised with the cigar, and have bought more boxes since then.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Easy. Even as my tastes have largely moved into snobby territory, I still really enjoy Tierra del Sol Corona Maduro. ONLY that size and only maduro. Can't STAND any other TdS, but these are great in the morning.....nearly every fishing trip drive with coffee. I'm fine with the panning....as long as I can continue to get these for a buck on CBID, I'm a happy fisher.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I'm not sure my nomination is so much "panned" as it is ignored, but I would submit for consideration the entire JR Ultimate line of cigars. They are available in vitola and wrapper choices to suit anyone's wish, and offer well-constructed, well-aged, and decidedly tasty cigars which are often significantly lower in price than counterparts.

Nota bene, I refer to the ULTIMATE line, and not the Alternatives. Those are at best smokeable yard 'gars whose main attraction is affordability.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

The cigar that started it all for me was Partagas Black label!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Gurkha...?

I think the NC Punch Rare Corojo classifies as this for me. I really like them, but they don't seem to be too popular.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I'm not sure my nomination is so much "panned" as it is ignored, but I would submit for consideration the entire JR Ultimate line of cigars. They are available in vitola and wrapper choices to suit anyone's wish, and offer well-constructed, well-aged, and decidedly tasty cigars which are often significantly lower in price than counterparts.

Nota bene, I refer to the ULTIMATE line, and not the Alternatives. Those are at best smokeable yard 'gars whose main attraction is affordability.
I have had the Principales in the Oscuro and Candela, in fact, the only Candela that I ever enjoyed, it was incredible.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
baust55
AUSTIN

First Name: JAMES
baust55 is on a distinguished road

Nicarao Havana Sun grown torpedos .

I have been getting them for $1.50 to $2
Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
pattersong
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Greg
Trading: (0)
HdM
pattersong is on a distinguished road

I'm still waiting for someone to be honest here and admit their cigar is the 'Century Sam'

pattersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Brian, the Punch Rare Corojo was one of my faves when I started smoking regular. Sancho Panza's are excellent smokes. Maduro and Extra Fuerte are both awesome. I don't think they get panned as much as they get no talk.

Litto Gomex Diez seems to get no stroke at all. You and I have had this discussion, Toddster.
Not the La Flor Dominicana line, they do get some talk. But I truly feel that the LGD line is far and away superior to any of the LFD stuff.

I can't think of anything I smoke that gets bagged on. Gurkha, I suppose. I used to like the Nepalese Warrior and one other, can't remember what it is right now. Wasn't the Doble Maduro, they were awful. Someone will mention it, I've heard a number of guys say they weren't a bad smoke.
I looked to try to find the name of them, they must be discontinued.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

I like a lot of different connies. They get panned on here by a lot of guys. My favorite is RP 99 but they're not exactly cheap but they can be found for around $3 if you look in the right place.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #17
usafvet509
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Trent
Cohiba AirForce (Served With Honor)
usafvet509 is on a distinguished road

5 Vegas Gold Maduro, I read a lot of bad about 'em, but I like them. Also, I seem to really like Hondurans (HDM, Punch, Camacho, CAO)
usafvet509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #18
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

A few that I like to keep around are:

5 Vegas Cask Strength
J. Fuego Origen and Origen Maduro
Pinar del Rio Oscuro

I don't think any of the above are frowned upon or panned per se, but they are solid cheapies that I enjoy. The PDRs in particular, since they can be had all day long for under $2 a stick.

Last edited by TJtorpedo; 09-08-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: damn auto correct!
TJtorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #19
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post

I can't think of anything I smoke that gets bagged on. Gurkha, I suppose. I used to like the Nepalese Warrior and one other, can't remember what it is right now. Wasn't the Doble Maduro, they were awful. Someone will mention it, I've heard a number of guys say they weren't a bad smoke.
I looked to try to find the name of them, they must be discontinued.
I also liked the Warriors. Still have a bunch floating around. Need to pull one out!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #20
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

Rocky Patel Olde World Maduro Toros. Rocky gets a lot of hate (rightfully so sometimes) but I love these!
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote