Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Default Cigar Podcasts Today, Culling The Herd

I've been away from cigar podcasts for a long time. I'm looking for what's good now. I tried to figure it out on my own, but there're sooo many out there.

My old fave was DogWatch Cigar Radio, but it's gone. I've been enjoying their successor, Half Ashed, but they get overly involved with their chatroom while recording. For me, that's a big distraction. In the latest episode, Kip and Craig spent a long time discussing images of ornate pipes which, obviously, I couldn't see. So while I like these guys, I'm wondering if there are other good cigar podcasts out there.

I'm happy to see "The Doc" is still doing it. I like his show, Stogie Fresh 5. It's perhaps the most informative podcast I know, but I prefer listening to a bunch of guys sitting in the same room having a herf, some back-and-forth, and a few laughs.

It's funny to me now, if not a little embarrassing, that it had to be pointed out to me that when a podcast is affiliated with a retailer, it's likely to affect the show's content in that there's a potential conflict of interest concerning cigars said retailer does or does not carry. It's like a beauty pageant contestant standing before a panel of judges, who all happen to be members of her immediate family. There's an unfair bias, perhaps. So while I might really enjoy the podcast otherwise, I prefer a show that's not beholden.

I've tried Cigar Dave. Sure, he's got the best-named podcast out there, but he's not for me.

I've tried Cigar Federation. It's pretty good, but doesn't quite scratch that itch.

I just discovered Blowin' Smoke is still happening. I'll have to listen to their latest. And, I also just discovered Kiss My Ash. I'll try them too.

I'm sure there are plenty that I'm missing. What are they and which are best?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cigar Podcasts Today, Culling The Herd

What about Stogie 411 great show and I love the guys on there
Old 08-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

Check out the Cigar Authority. It's pretty good. Its done by Two Guys Smoke Shop ( I think I have seen them post on here recently). I haven't had time to listen in a long time, but I used to enjoy it.
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerbe View Post
What about Stogie 411 great show and I love the guys on there
Thanks, Corey! I'll add it to the list. I hadn't heard of that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedrick83 View Post
Check out the Cigar Authority. It's pretty good. Its done by Two Guys Smoke Shop ( I think I have seen them post on here recently). I haven't had time to listen in a long time, but I used to enjoy it.
Thanks, Jesse. Yeah, I've heard a Cigar Authority episode or two. I thought it was plenty entertaining. The hosts are great fun to listen to. But, as I said, I'm less interested in podcasts affiliated with retailers for fear that they're biased toward the products that they sell. No offense to any podcasting retailers here at CA.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
Thanks, Jesse. Yeah, I've heard a Cigar Authority episode or two. I thought it was plenty entertaining. The hosts are great fun to listen to. But, as I said, I'm less interested in podcasts affiliated with retailers for fear that they're biased toward the products that they sell. No offense to any podcasting retailers here at CA.
I totally agree, I just wanted to throw it out there since I didn't see it listed.
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
meatcake
Meaty Cakey Goodness

First Name: Brandon
RA
meatcake is on a distinguished road

I will throw my hat in the ring.
Please give Calypso Cigar Review a listen. We are similar to Blowing Smoke in that its just guys hanging out, reviewing cigars and talking about stuff that interests us. We have 3 distinctly different show lengths. Full show (1 hour on average). Minisodes (30 min) and Quickies (10 or under).
We do not do Chat, no interaction other than what WE are talking about so you don't have those distractions. Also, we don't have "industry people" on that often so it isn't one big advertisement for whatever brand we are reviewing. It is just some honest opinions about a cigar, and other guy talk (movies, Tv, chicks, music, etc). Word of warning though, we go pretty blue so our show is NSFW. We don't hold back.
You can listen and/or watch here:

Audio Options:

http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com/
http://www.iheart.com/talk/show/Calypso-Cigar-Reviews/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ws/id617514410

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfy...9xXYBswAccvavg

Hope you give us a try.

PS, we are affiliated with a retailer (by name only because we record there and the other host works there) but we review everything. NOT just stuff they carry, honestly wish in hindsight that we had called the show something else but too late now. I called it Calypso out of love for that particular shop that I frequented and they took the time to help me along my cigar journey. They don't put any $$ into the show. 9 times out of 10 I am buying the stuff we smoke. We simply record it there, along with my Buddy Randy who happens to work there. Other than that...no affiliation.

Last edited by meatcake; 08-27-2014 at 10:01 AM.
meatcake is offline   Reply With Quote