Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Acid Opulence 3

Okay, before you boo me off the stage, hear me out!

Earlier this year, I asked for one of these in a MAW, and I offered to review it here. Kelmac07/Mac granted that wish (and beat me with some other questionable sticks ) so I’m staying true to my end of the bargain. You may be surprised by the results of this little experiment...

The Acid Opulence 3 is one of the more recent blends from Drew Estates. Here’s how it’s being marketed:
Opulence 3 sports a jet-black, oily maduro wrapper from San Andres, Mexico that provides a rich and creamy character with a pronounced sweet nuance noticeable in the finish. This wrapper is perfectly balanced with a hearty blend of Nicaraguan tobaccos grown in Esteli, where some of the strongest Nicaraguan tobacco is grown. These tobaccos were harvested in three separate crop years including 2005, 2006, and 2007, making Opulence a rare, incredibly limited treat. Not only is the cigar infused with oils and botanicals chosen by Jonathan Drew himself, but also each individual leaf is infused to provide a full-flavored, uniquely enjoyable experience each time this cigar is lit.

For starters, this was as well constructed a cigar as I’ve smoked in a long time. Great roll, quality wrapper and cap, no hard or soft spots. The burn was sharp, never needed a touch-up or relight, put out a copious amount of smoke, and the draw was absolutely perfect. I typically don’t smoke straight from my 70/70% cooler, but this cigar didn’t have any of the problems I usually get when I don’t dry-box.

Like other Acids, the cigar has a sweetened tip. But it wasn’t overbearing like the Blue line, instead it was more like a Flor de Oliva. It’s hard to describe the individual flavors of the infused DE lines. But what was remarkable about the Opulence 3 is that the primary flavors seemed to come from the tobacco instead of the “alternative substances”--this is reverse of most DE blends I’ve tried. For example, I find the San Andres wrapper to be pretty distinctive, I like it very much and can usually pick it out pretty readily in most cigars using it. That was the case with this cigar, too--the infusion didn't overpower the wrapper's flavor.

Here’s how I would describe the first half of the cigar: chocolatey & fruity, no discernable spice, very easy to nose exhale, leaving a creamy, floral finish. It was definitely an infused stick but it was subdued and pleasant, not the kind that makes you feel like you swallowed your grandmother’s perfume bottle. In fact, the second half of the cigar seemed to lose its infused quality altogether, turning into a very good Nicaraguan similar to the Liga Privada: full-bodied & strong, earthy, with a peppery spice that suddenly appeared in the last couple inches.

Yes, I nubbed it! Surprising, I know, but this was a very good Drew Estates blend, probably my favorite so far. The sweetness of the first half was still a little strong to make this an everyday smoke, but I can definitely see keeping some on hand. Especially if I want my wife’s company when I hit my smoking lounge—the aroma was very pleasant and wouldn’t run her off, like many of my other usual cigars.

Mac, thanks for sending one of these my way!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
REALMCCOY
Just trying to keep up

Trading: (0)
REALMCCOY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Acid Opulence 3

Great review. Thanks for sharing. I have not tried a DE cigar in quite a while. Last one was an Acid One which was pleasantly different from their other offerings in that line. Your review has sparked some interest in trying these out.
REALMCCOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

When you say this is your favorite DE blend, does that include the Liga line?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right Gerard...very surprised at your findings. Might have to grab another and sample it myself.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc3084 View Post
When you say this is your favorite DE blend, does that include the Liga line?
Tom, I'd have to give the edge to the Opulence on this one. The Liga Privada is a good smoke, but to me it was similar to a number of other maduros. I think what makes it special is that it showcases Drew's ability to blend something other than an infused cigar. I smoke the Liga's, but they're pretty interchangeable with other cigars.

The Opulence is a unique smoke, so I'd favor it over the LP.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I don't know why people get so uptight when talking about flavor infused cigars. Just because the taste and smells are not traditional does not mean the cigar is not worthy of a good smoke. I personally like Acid's, I do not smoke them regularly but they are good for something new from time to time.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the great review and photo's Gerard. Now I need to go out and purchase one. Nice looking cigar holder. Is the material brass or copper?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Mark, it's actually tin with a copper powder coating. I redid our backsplash a couple years ago with sheets of the stuff, and had a few left over pieces that I used to make the holder. I don't have a cigar ashtray so this does the job holding those larger RG sticks

Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Mark, it's actually tin with a copper powder coating. I redid our backsplash a couple years ago with sheets of the stuff, and had a few left over pieces that I used to make the holder. I don't have a cigar ashtray so this does the job holding those larger RG sticks

Hmm, sounds like to me you just said you need an ashtray....
Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Michael, I don't think I have an addy for Gerard yet...
Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Interesting. May have to try one of these. Thanks for the review.

Note to self- Gerard doesn't have a cigar ashtray.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Let me know if you need some help Mark!!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Who's taking care of this problem?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Youse gots mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Interesting. May have to try one of these. Thanks for the review.

Note to self- Gerard doesn't have a cigar ashtray.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Youse gots mail.
This is done.

Thread jacking is done. Back to review.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

I should know better. I step away from the thread for less than an hour and all hell breaks loose.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

I generally like a cigar flavored cigar and regard all else as abomination unto the Great God Nick O'Teen, but this is actually an intriguing review. Still not sure I could get past the gaggingly awful Acid perfumey scent and the sweetened tip, but it sounds like they at least started with good tobacco.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

As you rnot a Noob, don't you know any better than making a comment like that?

Quote:
I should know better. I step away from
the thread for less than an hour and all hell breaks loose.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
As you rnot a Noob, don't you know any better than making a comment like that?
I can picture you poking him with a stick..