Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough
Default The Case of the Expanding Ring Gauge

So, I walked into a local B&M yesterday and saw an article in CA online about a 64 RG cigar by E.P. Carillo.

64!!!!

That's one inch!!!! Now, I know it's been a trend for a while now, but why? Most connoisseurs, manufacturers, B&M owners (and more generally "people in the know") seem to prefer thinner RG cigars. Even Cooba is riding this wave of bigger/thicker sticks.

Do you think this is a passing fad? Will we have novelty cigars be the norm (anyone remember those Fuente football cigar pictures?)? How big is too big?

More importantly, why is this trend happening? I mean, the cigar boom days of fly-by-night smokers are over, right? What's driving this?

Sorry for all the questions. Too much time to think.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfe.../show/id/16515

Last edited by Mr. Ed; 07-25-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Case of the Expanding Ring Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Most connoisseurs, manufacturers, B&M owners (and more generally "people in the know") seem to prefer thinner RG cigars.
These people are the in the minority when it comes to purchasing.

The people who buy a few cigars at a time, and typically consume them as they purchase, comprise a much larger percentage of the market, and they're buying larger RGs right now, so as long as they keep buying the larger RGs, manufacturers will keep making them.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I certainly hope it is a passing trend. I'm not a fan of large rg cigars at all.

Typically 46 rg or less, with a few exceptions. For example, the Sig VI with some age is amazing. But for the most part, I find it also takes more skill to blend and roll a smaller rg cigar.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud (attributed).

"And sometimes it's a honkin' fat phallus." - The Poet (just now).
Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
These people are the in the minority when it comes to purchasing.
I'm aware. What I find interesting (and this is a purely anecdotal observation) is that the boutique guys seemed to be really into making thinner RG cigars, but not so much anymore. I don't know. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
"And sometimes it's a honkin' fat phallus." - The Poet (just now).
Interesting- what does that mean? (sarcasm- no answer needed)
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

I think there is a financial advantage to making cigars larger as well. The cost of the extra tobacco in a 60RG cigar is minimal over what it would take to make a 45rg but the cost of rolling, packaging, and shipping is exactly the same, and a box of large cigars takes up almost the same amount of space on a B&Ms shelf. Larger RG cigars sell for more than smaller sized ones, so if an extra $20 can be made on a box of large cigars it's in the manufacturers, and retailers advantage to produce and sell products that that maximize their resources.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Four of my Non-Cigar smoking friends go to a B&M and buy cigars to smoke that night at a party. They all walk our with 55+RG sized churchill cigars. They had no idea what they bought, but they sure looked cool.

This is your majority.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
I think there is a financial advantage to making cigars larger as well. The cost of the extra tobacco in a 60RG cigar is minimal over what it would take to make a 45rg but the cost of rolling, packaging, and shipping is exactly the same, and a box of large cigars takes up almost the same amount of space on a B&Ms shelf. Larger RG cigars sell for more than smaller sized ones, so if an extra $20 can be made on a box of large cigars it's in the manufacturers, and retailers advantage to produce and sell products that that maximize their resources.
That's definitely an interesting take. I guess tradition can be ignored for some extra bucks.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
Four of my Non-Cigar smoking friends go to a B&M and buy cigars to smoke that night at a party. They all walk our with 55+RG sized churchill cigars. They had no idea what they bought, but they sure looked cool.

This is your majority.
Yea, I've definitely seen that before. I always figure the B&M owner would gently guide them in the other direction hehehe.

Maybe it's an advertising thing to challenge our machismo? I don't know, just trying to figure out why.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Brooks and I were at a B&M the other day and a guy walked up to us with a LFD Digger. Brooks asked him how he liked the cigar and he said it was "It's cool, what I like about this is that I can light it up at the beginning of a football game and smoke the cigar for three hours. If I bought two smaller cigars at $8 a pop I'd be paying $16 for the same amount of smoking time that I get from the Digger for $11."

Didn't say anything about the flavor or how good the cigar was, just that he liked the value.

So, people like big honking cigars. I'm not a fan of them, at all. Anything over 58RG is just uncomfortable for me to smoke, honestly. But cigar smokers as a whole prefer them, whether it's a "bargain" (as the guy stated above), because it's cool, or because they just honestly prefer a huge-ass cigar.

There have been quite a few 64 RG cigars coming out recently though, so is 64RG a new trend or have we just slowly ramped up to this size over the last decade? That's the question we'll have to wait and see answered.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Victor Sinclair has a few out that are 70 ring. I have smoked 60 ring cigars and enjoyed them, but I don't prefer them.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
"It's cool, what I like about this is that I can light it up at the beginning of a football game and smoke the cigar for three hours. If I bought two smaller cigars at $8 a pop I'd be paying $16 for the same amount of smoking time that I get from the Digger for $11."
That's some wonderful insight. Never thought about it from that perspective. My line of thinking in that situation would be along the lines of let me start off with something mild and light and move onto something full bodied and and spicy.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

I actually have a couple of those Big Surs. They've been sitting in the humi for about 7 years waiting for the right time.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yea, I've definitely seen that before. I always figure the B&M owner would gently guide them in the other direction hehehe.

Maybe it's an advertising thing to challenge our machismo? I don't know, just trying to figure out why.

Over the past 7-8 months I've turned a few of the "big cigar, big ring" less experienced smokers (in other words, members of the majority) into people who now prefer smaller ring gauge cigars. Funny, one of them is totally hooked on lanceros and coronas now - won't smoke anything else.

One of them was into the larger RG cigars because of the "better tobacco to dollar ratio". That was his primary reason for the 54-56RG toro sized cigars that he smoked - he hadn't even really tried the smaller cigars, he just went right for that extra $1 for the supersized McCigar.

Another was just basing it off what smoked on the golf course where a big cigar will last the better part of 9 holes.

Another reason I've often heard is that they prefer how the big cigars smoke cooler. Ok, makes sense if you aren't going to slow down when you smoke a thinner RG.

In all the cases, it was they simply didn't know any better - no one ever explained it to them. They just walked into a shop and bought what made sense to them.

Last edited by T.G; 07-25-2012 at 04:16 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
That's some wonderful insight. Never thought about it from that perspective. My line of thinking in that situation would be along the lines of let me start off with something mild and light and move onto something full bodied and and spicy.
The problem is we're looking at it from the wrong angle. We love cigars and our hobby is to find that perfect cigar to smoke. The average cigar smoker is a lot less discerning that we are. I'll gladly pay another $5 to have two good cigars over saving $5 and smoking one mediocre cigar. Or I'll buy a small, dainty looking cigar knowing it's going to be a great little flavor bomb, because I don't care how I look smoking it.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I think you will find many more large RG introductions at IPCPR(sp?) this fall.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

I hope, its just passing us by. Because, I just don't have the time for 3 plus hour stick.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Not to mention that the thin RG cigars are more difficult to roll, meaning you need better (maybe higher paid / more experienced) rollers working for you to roll them.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

So much sadness in this thread for me ...