Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Life.......

Perhaps a fitting title to this thread, perhaps not explicative enough.

So many of us so often feel down and out or feel so upset over the minor "inconveniences" life throws at us. Sometimes those minor inconveniences are in fact not so minor after all. At times, they can be what some can in fact consider significant or perhaps even catastrophic.

I am truly trying hard to believe in positive reinforcement/thinking as first and foremost. That was reinforced recently for me and is my new motto that I would like to share and would love all to consider the next time one of life's "inconveniences" affects you.

My dad and mom are in their 70's. They ache for everything. Mostly, they ache in their minds I think. Any pain is catastrophic for them. Any illness is terminal. Any headache, is worth confining to bed. I don't know what has happened to them.

On the other hand, I go to my supermarket and run into a gentleman that is at least 10 yrs older than my parents. I see him each and every day. Always a smile, a greeting, a brief discussion and a good bye, see you soon. The other day, he says to me, how are you? I said great and for some jokingly reason, I say what is the sense of me complaining if you have problems of your own? His response is the moral of this story and my new motto for good.

He said to me, each and every day I wake up, it is already a great day and nothing can ruin it unless I don't get to do it again the next morning. At my age, I don't have time to get upset and I don't have many of those mornings left.

I then wondered why it takes getting to your 80's for most of us to learn and understand that basic concept.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation
Default Re: Life.......

BTW, Alana can't wait to see Uncle Carlos & Aunt Clara!!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

because I'm young and know everything........

Not really though. Great story, Carlos.... nice morning read.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Thanks for sharing. Definitely something to keep in mind and we all go through out own daily rat race. Great thought to kick off the day.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
BroncoHorvath
Life is Great !

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
Punch
BroncoHorvath is on a distinguished road

Great post

My step-Dad is the same way as your Dad and I always try to cheer him up, except he is very stubborn.
On the other hand, I have a really good friend that is 83 (BTW I'm 43), and he's one of the most cheerful person you could meet. He's 83 and he has and had his share of health issues, but it doesn't bring him down, and it keeps him looking young. One of his favorite quotes is "Is it really that bad", and really if you look around, there are lots of people that are a worse off that us and don't complain.
I consider myself a very positive person, and mostly because of tragic events I've had to endure. That's why I also have the same attitude as your supermarket man.
We only have one life, and it's a pretty short one, so don't stress over the little things.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thanks Carlos. We shouldn't sweat the small things, life is too short.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Thanks Carlos. We shouldn't sweat the small things, life is too short.
That reminds me of an old fave of mine.... "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!"
Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Well said.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Perhaps a fitting title to this thread, perhaps not explicative enough.

So many of us so often feel down and out or feel so upset over the minor "inconveniences" life throws at us. Sometimes those minor inconveniences are in fact not so minor after all. At times, they can be what some can in fact consider significant or perhaps even catastrophic.

I am truly trying hard to believe in positive reinforcement/thinking as first and foremost. That was reinforced recently for me and is my new motto that I would like to share and would love all to consider the next time one of life's "inconveniences" affects you.

My dad and mom are in their 70's. They ache for everything. Mostly, they ache in their minds I think. Any pain is catastrophic for them. Any illness is terminal. Any headache, is worth confining to bed. I don't know what has happened to them.

On the other hand, I go to my supermarket and run into a gentleman that is at least 10 yrs older than my parents. I see him each and every day. Always a smile, a greeting, a brief discussion and a good bye, see you soon. The other day, he says to me, how are you? I said great and for some jokingly reason, I say what is the sense of me complaining if you have problems of your own? His response is the moral of this story and my new motto for good.

He said to me, each and every day I wake up, it is already a great day and nothing can ruin it unless I don't get to do it again the next morning. At my age, I don't have time to get upset and I don't have many of those mornings left.

I then wondered why it takes getting to your 80's for most of us to learn and understand that basic concept.

Excellent post!! Thank you!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

My old coach used to remind us everyday we would complain about being sore or tired how fortunate we were to even be there. We are all fortunate, we all woke up this morning, some people didn't.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
mrreindeer

Great post. I even wondered if we shop the same supermarket because there was this old fella there (had to be in his '80's) who stopped to talk to mrsreindeer & I and share some jokes (even pictured comics and positive phrases he had in his pocket) because he was an advocate of positivity and wanted to share humor and laughter.

My Dad is in his mid-'60's and is a completely changed man from the fellow I was raised by. When my parents were together, he was a workaholic and never spent time with me. After the divorce, when I was 11, I finally got to know my Dad. Now he's my best friend. And he wrote this for his local Charleston paper and I'd like to share it with you:

More Gratitude

"Several years ago, my life began a remarkable transformation for the better. I was inspired by the pastor of the church my wife and I attended in Los Angeles. I came to understand truly – and more importantly to practice – gratitude. Of the hundreds of examples, I recall particularly arriving at our hew home on Daniel Island over two years ago and asking: “What have I done, Lord, for which you have so richly rewarded me?”

On Thanksgiving, I recited grace at our family dinner. It presented once again the opportunity for me to express my profound gratitude to almighty God for having given to me my beloved family, friends and others who have touched my life; my pets and Gods’ other creatures who share the land, air and streams with me; the beautiful dawns and sunsets; my health; and especially for having given me every precious moment of life.

Then we prayed for others less fortunate, for those who serve others in such a variety of ways, for our country and for world peace.

It then occurred to me, if everyone were to practice gratitude, all of those prayers will have been answered."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHorvath View Post
We only have one life, and it's a pretty short one, so don't stress over the little things.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

My grandmother has always told me, "When you think your life is bad, look up the street, look down the street, and look across the street. Somebody's always fighting something bigger than you are." She's 76; has had a heart attack and a "minor" stroke; outlived her husband, two children, and a grandchild. Even through all that, she's has believed that everyday is a gift and has lived it to the fullest.

It's easy to get wrapped up in the "I have to"s of life, but the reality is this. I don't HAVE to do anything. I get to. I get to go to work. I get to help one of my best friends plan her wedding. I get to help my stepmom move tomorrow... in 30 degree weather. As Mr. Reindeer Sr wrote, it's all about gratitude.

Thank you so much for this thread. It was exactly what I needed today.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
n3uka
Feeling at Home

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
n3uka has disabled reputation

Great reminder of a lesson I learned long ago.
My grandfather would wake up every morning and say hallelujah another day.
He lived to be 94 and was always in a positive mood.

Might have to get our parents together next time I am down.
Mine are fast approaching 80 and act like they are in there 60's.
n3uka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Thanks Carlos, I can only hope to have that attitude in my later years.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Two great phrases that my step-mom used almost every time I saw her:

Getting old ain't for sissies

Got up on the right side of the grass; everything else is icing on the cake
Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

I have learned that lesson over and over in life,
From remembering those who didn't come home with me, my father passing when I was 17 at age 55, 1995 when I was literally killed in an accedent, But somehow survived ...2006 when my wife survived an accedent that she probably shouldn't have ....
I never miss a sunset, I share a smoke each night with friends gone away,
And I just plain don't let lifes crap get to me.
I was given this life to enjoy ...And that is what I shall do.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Speak for yourself Carlos

I count my blessings every day!
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

My mother was confined to bed with Multiple Schlerosis for much of my life. I had to care for her, including: bathing, changing her diapers (and what goes with that), dressing her, stretching her and getting her up, putting in her wheelchair, and other things. Constant pain was her lot in life.

Her attitude? She was usually happy, and when asked how she was doing, she always commented upon how richly blessed she was.

We can either look at the world as a glass half full or half empty.

Personally, I think it has to do with the faith God planted in my mother's heart.

I am of a similar attitude. God has given us too much, if we only open our eyes and see all that He has given us. Grab life and live it with gusty, it is His gift to us.

My grandfather always said, "Don't worry about the small stuff - and there ain't no big stuff."
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

thanks for sharing
karmaz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

The epiphany for me came on Christmas Day 1973 while I was stationed on an icebreaker headed for McMurdo, Antarctica. We had just received all of our Christmas mail and packages from home and I was feeling really bummed out about being at the other end of the world from my family. I opened one letter from a schoolmate and it contained a list of men who graduated from our high school who had died in Vietnam. The thought struck me that their families were not enjoying Christmas very much either and I had no reason to complain.

Every time I start feeling depressed about something I remember that letter and all the servicemen who don't return to their families and realize that I have nothing to be depressed about.

Then I say a prayer for all of the fallen.