Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-19-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
staminator

Default Just purchased (old) X-tend lighter

I walked into a local shop yesterday and found the ST Dupont X-tend lighter marked for sale at $120. Knowing that these lighters usually went for more money I inquired a bit farther and was told by someone who barely knew English that he could take 25% off the top. I thought this was too good to be true. Then the best part...he tells me after I hesitated a bit longer that with 25% percent off, the lighter would cost me no more than $75. I feel like English wasn't his only weak point......

I went and took some money out of the ATM, and ended up with $76 in my wallet, seeing how far I could play this out. He took his 25% off and gave me the total (obviously more than $76). He ended up giving me the lighter for the money I had after a quick haggle.

I took the lighter home and was looking through the documentation and saw that it was printed in June 2000!!! Um...I wasn't took excited about that. So I just bought a 10 year old lighter. Honestly though, it works great!! I'm loving it and what a steal!

The ignitor button is a little bit stiff, but seems to be getting better with use (3 cigars of use actually - I feel like a bit of a chimney after today ). Anybody else with an X-tend have a similar issue?

Anywaaaays...I had to share the story!!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
staminator

Default Re: Just purchased (old) X-tend lighter

There she is
Old 12-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

IMO the older ones are better. Does it say "made in france" on the bottom opposite the fuel view window? Now they are made in china and have removed the fuel window.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
staminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
IMO the older ones are better. Does it say "made in france" on the bottom opposite the fuel view window? Now they are made in china and have removed the fuel window.
It most certainly does! Sweet! The fuel window is nice to have.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

another fun little trick. If you light the lighter then turn it upside down and while upside down release the bar the doors should stay open when you turn it right side up again.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
staminator

Quote:
another fun little trick. If you light the lighter then turn it upside down and while upside down release the bar the doors should stay open when you turn it right side up again.
I just tried it, and it didn't seem to work for me. However, one cool thing is if the lighter is upside down there is a "safety" and the doors will not open whatsoever.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

you have to light it before you turn it upsidedown. The safty is EXTREMLY nice I know its the holidays but im sure no one likes roasted nuts
Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
staminator

Quote:
you have to light it before you turn it upsidedown. The safty is EXTREMLY nice I know its the holidays but im sure no one likes roasted nuts
So true.

I still can't get it to work...maybe the model I have is slightly different from the one you are thinking of.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice grab!!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

Nick you have moved into the realm of the obsessed.... Welcome
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Nice Grab! You definitely got like 50-55% off the price they are going for now a days.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #12
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road

Good work sir! I got my first MaxiJet (as they call them nowadays) for full price in matte black. It was beautiful, but as I was moving at the end of last summer, I somehow lost both my brand new Carbon Fiber Palio (which I had never even used) and my MaxiJet. Fortunately, however, I won an Xtend off cbid at one point, and it was backordered. They finally gave me the option of getting a glossy red one, which I took, and it ended up being an old "Made in France" one. I was stoked.

Anyways, long story behind us, great find! I found that my Made in France one had a bit of a "stickier" ignition (in that it was more stiff), but the flame sounded more substantial and there was less "leakage" of fuel at the end of a burn. I hope you enjoy your new lighter!
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote