Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Robulous78

Default Alarm Clock/ Sleep Reccos

Ok Fellas,

Laugh as you will, I know I ask for a lot of advice on here but this question is a bit more serious...

I have a problem, I am a heavy sleeper. I work all night and so I sleep all day. I can easily stay asleep through the landlord mowing right outside my window, Through a friend knocking on my window, and most recently, through 4 iphone alarms and 2 alarm clocks...

The iPhone I keep next to my bed as the ringer (set to "red alert" from star trek) even on full doesn't seem to rouse me... Lately I have been finding it in bed with me which means I have been laying ontop of it to unconsciously smother out the noise... The 2 alarm clocks, 1 set to go off 15 minutes after the other, are as far away from the bed as possible so I have to actually stand up and walk over to turn them off, which apparently hasn't been a problem as I apparently can do all this while still asleep and not even realize it....

My question to you gentlemen, do you know any sure fire ways to make yourself wake up at a specific time? unfortunately my schedule changes a lot so even though a routine would be the simplest answer it doesnt really work with my life as it is right now.

Perhaps you know of an alarm clock that decimates all others? I have seen the ones that launch a helicopter with key to the alarm clock that you have to go recover, I have also seen the ones that look like RC cars that run around the floor till you catch them. These might work but I am looking for something proven, something someone can vouch for.

I am looking for reccos for SUPER ANNOYING/PERSISTENT alarm clocks. ones that preferably;

1) are RIDICULOUSLY LOUD, possibly with lights and vibrations, anything to get my ass out of bed...
2) are NOT EASY to turn off...

Any recommendations?

Thanks Fellas, I appreciate it...

Rob
Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
mariogolbee

Default Re: Alarm Clock/ Sleep Reccos

This is the only thing that would wake me up in my youth when I had similar sleeping habits.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=collectible
Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
hazydat620
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chad(choad, schoad)
Trading: (10)
hazydat620 is on a distinguished road

Rob, this might be the only thing that could help. I don't think its available yet, still trying to get the start up funds for it now it seems. A little pricey for an alarm clock, but losing your job cause you over sleep could cost more. Looks like there's a few pledge amount's.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/16/i...-silence-it-i/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...os-alarm-clock
Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
This is the only thing that would wake me up in my youth when I had similar sleeping habits.
LoL, Thanks but I'm looking for something a bit more fool proof. after some research, I think I want a greater than or equal to 120db alarm clock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazydat620 View Post
Rob, this might be the only thing that could help. I don't think its available yet, still trying to get the start up funds for it now it seems. A little pricey for an alarm clock, but losing your job cause you over sleep could cost more. Looks like there's a few pledge amount's.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/16/i...-silence-it-i/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...os-alarm-clock
I really really like everything about this alarm clock, except the price tag Maybe when they get a little cheaper...
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

One thing for me Rob, I can have my phone set to go off as an alarm, It'll go off, I'll grab it and turn it off and go right back to sleep and not remember doing it. Try putting your alarms across the room so you have to get out of the bed to turn them off.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

ETA:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery...506099,00.html
Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Your land lord should have an extra key. Just have them come in and throw a bowl of ice water in your face at a pre-determined time.

Or at a non-pre-determined time. Just to shake things up a bit.

Seriously though, the wacky hours at your job are most likely the culprit. Your body wants a sleep routine, and it's not getting it. Could also be caffeine/energy drinks. I have given up energy drinks completely, and I get "good" sleep, so I'm ready to wake up when the alarm goes off. Actually now that I think about it, I haven't even had a cup of coffee in weeks.

My advice is ironic, being 3:40 am and all, but my six year old is awake with a dry cough, so I just got done setting up the humidifier for him. Back to bed for me
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

http://www.dvice.com/archives/2008/0...n_bacon_is.php
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

All I can make sense of that link (without clicking) is the word "bacon."

But if it has something to do with bacon, I'd bet that's the winning answer.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Winner. /thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Maybe a girlfriend would help

Seriously, maybe you should visit a doctor just to verify that there is not something more serious going on...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I use the "Alarm Clock Plus" app on my droid (not sure if they have iphone or not). I set it to flash a white screen while blasting whatever song I choose, when I hit the screen it gives me a math problem (there are many settings, the one I use is a two digit number plus another two digit number). If i get the problem wrong it spits out another problem, with the music blasting throughout. I can be a bit of a heavy sleeper, but this always works.

There are always the alarm clocks with wheels so you have to go find wherever it rolled to to turn it off as well. I've never needed to go that far with my alarm clocks, but it's an option
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Well I to had a similar problem with alarms it normally takes me 3 strong alarms to get out of bed and then my wife kicking me and saying "Get out of this Bed"... but one thing that has changed that is my son... I'm hear to tell you there is nobody that can sleep through a 2 year old climbing on your face putting his fingers up your nose and screaming to watch Mickey Mouse Club House...

So its simple get yourself a 2 year old! Problem solved.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Google trucker alarm clock.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
From reading this, #11 sounds like a winner. I'm thinking of getting #4, Clocky for my daughter.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Try drinking a lot of water before you go to bed, just don't have the peepee dream.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Try drinking a lot of water before you go to bed, just don't have the peepee dream.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Google trucker alarm clock.
My BIL is a trucker. The alarm is so loud it hurts your ears. It's awesome.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

In college, my next door neighbor had this thing. I am also a sound sleeper…and in college…a drunk sleeper. This thing (about 18" in diameter) was like a fire alarm going off INSIDE my apartment.

Apart from that, the sonic boom clock would be my next choice.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
LoL, Thanks but I'm looking for something a bit more fool proof. after some research, I think I want a greater than or equal to 120db alarm clock...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
In college, my next door neighbor had this thing. I am also a sound sleeper…and in college…a drunk sleeper. This thing (about 18" in diameter) was like a fire alarm going off INSIDE my apartment.

Apart from that, the sonic boom clock would be my next choice.
Same alarm clock. That's two votes now for the giant Garfield clock. Look more into it, seriously. It's HUGE and extremely loud. No artificial beeps, just a good old-fashioned hammer banging rapidly against to metal bells. If this thing won't wake you up, IDK what will.