Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #2061
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Yeh it was worth it. Need a ND filter so I can get longer exposure time.
What is the filter ring size?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #2062
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

67mm
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #2063
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Just the lens...

IMG_1601 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #2064
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I sure hope it was SHARK....I had a $60 Nikon D100 in my kart at Adorama, it had an "overly sensitive mode dial"
that I figured I could hot glue into the Program mode. Went to check out and it had been fore-snatched out
from under me. I had PMed Shark about it, maybe he got it. For ME, no loss, I didn't need another Nikon, much
less a D100, but SIXTY BUCKS, come on, what was I to do? Let someone ELSE get it? Let's hope it was Shark and
he has a hot glue gun.
No, I was too late! But, even under $200 for the others is not bad at all. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #2065
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

And Justin, that looks a lot like Driftwood Beach on Jekyll Island. Awesome pics. Were those done with a longer shutter speed?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #2066
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Thanks Ron. They were all 1,2,4, and 6 second shutters. Too bright for any longer without a ND filter, even stopped all the way down.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #2067
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I always try to have a minimum of a .06 ND filter with me, but where I shoot most, in the Smokies, I rarely need
it and sometimes have to get it off there to get any kind of shot at all. But I keep it in the bag as well as a circular
polarizer. God I love a good polarizer, lol. Not great on sunsets, though. Man if Shark picks up a old has-been
Nikon
like me, look out. I was shocked I like the D100 better than the D70 for now. I have not shot enough
with it to know for sure, but it seems much faster, and at least this one I have has EXCELLENT rich, deep
color. OLD as that thing is Shark, and it IS OLD, it is a very good idea for the sensor size alone. ALl of the other perks
are just gravy.

And now, brought to you fresh in the morning, a camera/lens test with the D70 and the supposedly terribly soft
Nikon 24-50mm 3.3-4.5 AF lens..... hell it IS kind soft there, but handling the indoor light well.

OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #2068
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Word. My FIL had a used D100 for a while. He liked it plenty. He upgraded a lil over a year ago to a D90.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #2069
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I can't think of a better time to buy one, lol...They used to be several thousand dollars.
I almost had one for $60, lol. Granted I would have had to hot glue the mode dial down
in Program mode, but $60?? Come on.

And now that you can get a used lens to put on it for about 30-50 bucks that will take
decent photos, why on earth would you NOT pick one up? Hell I see the 70-210 I just
raved over for $50. Granted $50 today is not as easy as it used to be to spare, but
that's a great little used lens that is perfectly functional on a D100. There are several
perfectly acceptable walking around lenses for under $35 there, too. It's a scary good
time to be looking at old, useful gear. It's like getting a pound pup. You take in a very
useful, very durable camera that would normally just be space junk, and you are makin'
pitchers wit it. Don't fall victim to the pressure to upgrade.....too far.

Like Justin,

Last edited by OLS; 03-21-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #2070
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Lol. Word.

Photography competition coming up at work. Winner gets their pic hung up in the admin area at work. What to submit...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #2071
OLS
Suck It

I'VE SEEN my upgrade, Justin, and it is the D700, lol. I held it. It were awesome, sho nuff.
But I may never have it. I just don't need it now. Someday I might get it if I retire and
need to work weddings and special projects. But for now I am just glad that I stopped
shooting up the bad heroin, those dang point and shoots. I was keeping my costs SO LOW
by buying the nicest used ones I could afford, before long I had a bag full of nice point and
shoots, and with all that money I could have just peeped ONE DAMN DAY at the used
DSLRs, spent ONE DAY in researching the cheapest ones, and saved myself tons of money
on P&S cameras I can't hardly sell. In the end I did sell the nicest ones, and didn't take a bath,
but I got lucky. It was a fluke I managed to sell both of em so easily.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #2072
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Lol. Word.

Photography competition coming up at work. Winner gets their pic hung up in the admin area at work. What to submit...
Depends....are there a lot of ladies? Cat pics, lol.
If there are a lot of men, gun pics. Nah, they might
report you as dangerous. Wait, you're in LE, right?
Maybe guns are fine. Take something new and fresh.

A DONUT BOX!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #2073
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
67mm
Too bad...I have 62mm
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #2074
OLS
Suck It

You want to know what is SICK about my sickness, Justin? The fine folks out at Adorama
also have a couple of D1X / DIH cameras available for about $100, but neither one comes
with a charger. THOSE cameras, at least the D1H, those suckers were FAST, like a scalded
dog. You could get 8-9 frames a second out of it, plus it had a 40 frame buffer in it.
JUST TO HAVE THE BODY IN THE BAG for when I needed something that fast would have
been worth the $105. But without a charger, its not worth it. Maybe to someone who
already has a body and charger and wanted a spare, but DAMMIT, I wanted it to work out.
In the end, I could have picked up a universal RC car charger that probably would have worked
decently, but I started adding it all up and thinking, hell, both my other D-series cameras
can shoot 3-4 frames a second, do you NEED EIGHT? But there will be that one event where
I will think, 'I coulda had that shot'. lol.

That's how diseased you have made me with your DSLRs and your lenses and your big sensors.
I was happily saving money and minding my own business. Now I want to own every sub-$100
piece of used gear I spot.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #2075
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Too bad...I have 62mm
Well good MORNIN' Steve....We gonna have SNOW tonight, Steve.
How's that sound down in FLA?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #2076
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Or instead of buying 5-$100 cameras u could buy a $500 camera...
Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #2077
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Well good MORNIN' Steve....We gonna have SNOW tonight, Steve.
How's that sound down in FLA?
Gonna be ~37* here tonight...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #2078
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Or instead of buying 5-$100 cameras u could buy a $500 camera...
Absolutely not. Cause $500 doesn't get me what I want. $1500 does.

So since there is no way I am spending another $1500 in photography,
(yes I have invested that already, but have gear for 3 people) I guess
I will be making do with this stuff for a LONG time. I like it....a LOT.
I am sorry I hollered about yu guys sucking a55. You were right and I was
wrong.

Now my sister has a D70 and a 18-55, a 35-70 and a 70-300mm, UVs and a bag.

My nephew has a Olympus E-330 with a 14-45mm and a 40-150mm and UVs

And I have a D70, a D100, a 18-55, 24-50, 55-200, 28-85, 70-210 and a few fast normal primes and a
bag or two and UVs and CPs and NDs. My entire lens range are duplicates of all my other lenses.
I am thrilled, lol. No really....I am thrilled. I take em out on walks and shoot the hell out of them to
see what each one can do. And I would never take them all out. But HAVING them all makes me feel
good for NOW, lol. I can pack an easy 2 lens bag and be covered for any planned occasion. And to be
honest, I would NOT have all these lenses if these old Nikon AF lenses were not 35-60 bucks apiece.
I would have that 70-300 cheapie G and a fast prime. But no one wants these old designs anymore.
Hell, I'll take em.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #2079
OLS
Suck It

OOps, I forgot the one in the mail now...Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens. That officially makes me way over-lensed.
But again, one lens I paid 25 dollars for. One I paid 44 dollars for. For me it was worth seeing if it was an
optical dud or stud. The $25 is kinda shabby looking but is pretty sharp in rough outdoor conditions for which
I bought it. Indoors it is far too slow to shoot with. All the other cheap buys have proven to be solid.

And one other thing, thank the supreme being for Adorama. Had B&H not sent me a 1600 dollar camera
in place of a 140 dollar model, and the subsequent BS not put me off of them for life (well, for now),
then I would not have discovered that Adorama wants half the price for the same merchandise in old,
used lenses. Not always half, but its usually SIGNIFICANT. I wasted a few hundred bucks buying
from B&H on used lenses.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #2080
OLS
Suck It

My Dad died 25 years ago this month, and every year or so I will stumble upon something in the vast collection
of miscellaneous crap I inherited from him. It has been a struggle, carrying all of this junk with me in my 10
or so moves over that time, and a lot of it has gotten tossed prior to one move or another. But he liked to putter
around Salvation Army and Amvets on the weekends, and he picked up all KINDS of 5hit. Last week I got the D100
in and noticed that it had a screw in port on the shutter release for a manual shutter plunger so you could remote
trigger without using the timer. I remembered something in one of the drawers in one of the chests of his stuff,
I always thought it was a kind of tight-space-whatzit-grabber, but I thought, OHHH, it might be a remote trigger.
Sure enough, it screwed right in and pre-meters/focuses and shoots with it just fine. Shame I had to spend so
much money to USE IT, but what the hell...I miss him.