Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #21
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone Ever Smoke...

It's a popular tactic on the internet to characterize anyone with a negative opinion of something as a "hater." It's a cheap and lazy way to denigrate and minimize without the burden of formulating any argument of substance.

Fact: Rockey Patel dyes some of their cigars. I have a problem with any manufacturer which does that at all, but particularly with one which also sells itself as a premium maker.

You can smoke **** and like it; it's your prerogative and no one is begrudging you your pleasure. But my opinion is based on fact, not "hate."
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
It's a popular tactic on the internet to characterize anyone with a negative opinion of something as a "hater." It's a cheap and lazy way to denigrate and minimize without the burden of formulating any argument of substance.

Fact: Rockey Patel dyes some of their cigars. I have a problem with any manufacturer which does that at all, but particularly with one which also sells itself as a premium maker.

You can smoke **** and like it; it's your prerogative and no one is begrudging you your pleasure. But my opinion is based on fact, not "hate."
Most of the "premium" consumable products on the market - fruit juices, sodas, booze, meat, dairy, etc. - use dyes in their production. Unless you grow all of your own food and drink you're ingesting dyes pretty much every day.

In light of that I fail to understand the vitriol towards a cigar-maker that does the same.
Porch Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post

Forgive me Joe... I didn't mean to cause any stir... the only statement I was trying to make was that I find it interesting that people tend to notice that and refer to the fact that RP uses dyes and yet do not notice or care that Diesel does...
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Smoked quite a few RPs. I did have a dye incident many years ago with an Edge maduro. It was an extremely dark stick, so much so it made me wonder how it could get that way other than being dyed. Well, fingers and lips brown. Last one of those. I think it's a BS practice. I do enjoy a Vintage 90 or 92 or Decades when the price is right. Never had the Cuban Blend maduro, though. Might want to try it in the future.
This is an interesting discussion, while RP is not the only guilty one, it seems that many RPs have hit the dyeing vats (washing machines). The RP Old World Reserve was dyed, and that was an expensive stick!

So its a little off topic, but my understanding is that cigar manufacturers dye for two reasons:
- To cover up bad or miscolored wrapper leaf / make the cigar look more presentable;
- To make a cigar look like a maduro (and even call it a maduro at times) without going through the time consuming and somewhat costly process of true Maduro fermentation.

Either way, it sounds like a bit of a cop-out to me personally. Id still try a dyed cigar - heck I liked the Partagas Black some years ago - but I dont think Id put dyed sticks on my quantity purchase list.

I guess smoke what ya like!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by omowasu View Post
This is an interesting discussion, while RP is not the only guilty one, it seems that many RPs have hit the dyeing vats (washing machines). The RP Old World Reserve was dyed, and that was an expensive stick!

So its a little off topic, but my understanding is that cigar manufacturers dye for two reasons:
- To cover up bad or miscolored wrapper leaf / make the cigar look more presentable;
- To make a cigar look like a maduro (and even call it a maduro at times) without going through the time consuming and somewhat costly process of true Maduro fermentation.

Either way, it sounds like a bit of a cop-out to me personally. Id still try a dyed cigar - heck I liked the Partagas Black some years ago - but I dont think Id put dyed sticks on my quantity purchase list.

I guess smoke what ya like!
Your second reason is an interesting one; I hadn't thought of that. I would avoid the cigars from any company that was doing such a thing.
Porch Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote