Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default K-Cup guys...

Hey, I have a friend who uses one of those Kurig (sp?) coffee brewers. I want to roast her some beans but she does not have the adapter / part that allows her to use her own beans/grounds.
Anyone know what this part is called and where to get one?

Thanks
Mr B
Brent
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: K-Cup guys...

MyK-Cup. http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-R...ywords=my+kcup

You can also find other brands on Amazon too that work just as well and may be cheaper. I had used the Solofill version myself with decent results.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I do not reccomend those use your own cups. I tried them and they do not work well at all. Keurig only ever worked for me with the factory k-cups. Seemed like water would push straight through and you would get a super weak, watered down cup. The one Bob linked is the one I used. I bought it at "Bed,Bath and Beyond".
Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Thanks guys. So Shane, are you saying that you did or did not like the one in the link Bob posted?
Do you have a link to the ones you use?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Thanks guys. So Shane, are you saying that you did or did not like the one in the link Bob posted?
Do you have a link to the ones you use?
I used the same one Bob posted but I got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It did not work well. I tried it about 12 times and just moved on.
I see how what I posted before was confusing, what I meant was I do not reccomend those "use-your-own" style cups in a keurig.
There was an aftermarket design that seemed like it would work better but I never tried it.
Like this link:
http://www.coffee.org/products/view.php?item=2269

^------This is the style I would consider.
The problem with the original one Bob posted a link for is the hole in the top puts the water straight into the grinds and then the water finds one path to exit, not spreading well through the grinds leaving you with an underbrewed weak cup.
The design seen above has a lid that forces the water in different directions, I think this is a better design and might work better than the one I used.

haha this is what they call it:
•Innovative Octaflo-Plus hot water distribution system for a superior tasting cup of gourmet coffee.

I just realised that this is the same style Bob said he used with good results, I would deffinitley fo this route!
Hope this was helpful Brent, sorry to be such an opinion dump, Bob was onto it from the beginning!!!

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 10-16-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Gotcha. I looked at all 3 types of "refillable" K-Cups on Amazon and boy do they have alot of bad reviews. Seems like everyone says "weak coffee"... "grounds in cup"... ""plastic filter cup breaks".
Wow, you would think someone would have come out with a decent design by now.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Here's the brand-named one, for only a dollar more than the Solofill one linked to above!!!

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...fillable+k+cup

And if you want it quicker, Walmart has them for just a couple dollars more!

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...fillable+k+cup

"Though it seems the secret to NOT getting grounds in your coffee may be to NOT fill the basket too full. However, another reviewer posted the following: Works excellent, although there is a trick to it. You need to take the rubber seal off the needle at the top and flip it over then slide it back on. Otherwise water leaks all over and grounds get in the coffee. If you turn that seal over, you won't have any problems with leaking or grounds getting out."

I haven't tried either of these. I don't have the machine. I've used them at my daughter's house, and I purchased the Keurig re-usable one for her to use. She has voiced NO complaints to me about the filter. My issue with the whole concept is that the coffee, even from the premade cups, is about half the strength I usually make with my press or other methods.

Last edited by SvilleKid; 10-16-2012 at 12:13 PM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Thanks Sville. The reviews on those over on Amazon have a pretty large amout of negative posts.
Like you said, most of them say "weak coffee" in addition to other dis-likes.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Thanks Sville. The reviews on those over on Amazon have a pretty large amout of negative posts.
Like you said, most of them say "weak coffee" in addition to other dis-likes.
Yes those are the ones that the water just goes right through. Those are the ones I tried with terrible results.
Oh and you have to be very careful when removing the standard k-cup holder, I sliced the crap outta my finger tip once on the piece that pierces the bottom of the k-cups. It is kind of like punching a cigar but it was my finger tip.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Yes those are the ones that the water just goes right through. Those are the ones I tried with terrible results.
Oh and you have to be very careful when removing the standard k-cup holder, I sliced the crap outta my finger tip once on the piece that pierces the bottom of the k-cups. It is kind of like punching a cigar but it was my finger tip.
Same here with removing the standard cup holder.

While the Solofil did work well enough for me, the Kuerig as a whole just didn't brew a good enough cup of coffee for me. As most everyone says, too weak. Switched to a FP and never looked back.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Same here with removing the standard cup holder.

While the Solofil did work well enough for me, the Kuerig as a whole just didn't brew a good enough cup of coffee for me. As most everyone says, too weak. Switched to a FP and never looked back.
The Keurig serves a purpose, if you are on the go and want a quick no mess cup of okay coffee and don't want to spend more than $150.00 on a machine, it is perfect. I just recently sold my machine to Digs who is just getting into the hobby. It is a gateway machine however, I started roasting my own beans, then went to french press, then after three FPs I bought a Super Auto Espresso machine and am now trying to find another machine for the office.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

My thoughts about the F.P. are right on with your's. Same with home roasting. This is for a friend.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
The reason the water goes right through (and all over the place) isn't the "My-K-Cup", it's the gasket thing the top of it seats to on the Kuerig itself. There are several fixes I've either heard about or read...
  • My buddy's MIL puts a piece of aluminum foil over the My-K-Cup and that seems to do the trick for her (never tried it myself).
  • My buddy pulls the little gasket down if it works its way back up.
  • A youtube search shows some people putting a 1/2 flat faucet washer in the top of the My-K-Cup.
  • Someone created "shims" that go above the gasket to keep it held down (I would think a flat faucet washer above it would do the same thing).
Me...I have the same problem and have just pulled down the gasket the couple times I've used it. I think i'll buy a flat faucet washer and shim the gasket and see if that does the trick.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
The reason the water goes right through (and all over the place) isn't the "My-K-Cup", it's the gasket thing the top of it seats to on the Kuerig itself. There are several fixes I've either heard about or read...
  • My buddy's MIL puts a piece of aluminum foil over the My-K-Cup and that seems to do the trick for her (never tried it myself).
  • A youtube search shows some people putting a 1/2 flat faucet washer in the top of the My-K-Cup.
  • Someone created "shims" that go above the gasket to keep it held down (I would think a flat faucet washer above it would do the same thing).
Me...I have the same problem and have just pulled down the gasket the couple times I've used it. I think i'll buy a flat faucet washer and shim the gasket and see if that does the trick.
+1. Also, I use a course grind and get a nice cup of coffee. That seems to help with overflow as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Thanks again guys
Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Interesting Joel, I had never heard this. I am actually struggling to understand this fix, not that I doubt you, I am just not able to visualize it.
The water goes into the small hole on top of the cartridge directly above the grinds and exits the hole in the bottom of the cartridge. So are you saying that the water is not making it into the cartidge and is running around the outside? I will try and youtube to see. I do not even have this unit anymore but am curious.

Edit:
Here is a video

I would have been willing to bet that all water was going throug the cartridge as there was never any excess water on the outside of it. Maybe I just didn't realize it. Not sure but interesting dilemna. Thanks for the insight Joel.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Thanks for the video link.