Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Default Who has been to Mexico lately? thoughts

I am looking to take my family on vacation to the Cancun area (a little south of) and stay in a resort...we were also going to go to the Playa Del Carmen to shop (and I want to go to LCDH) and see the Maya Ruins (Chitzen Itza)...we have made reservations. I am a bit concerned because I keep hearing of all the corruption, violent crimes, and kidnappings there (because I am taking 2 small children)...I want to hear from people that have been there recently what they thought. I have never been to Mexico...
Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Who has been to Mexico lately? thoughts

My parents live in Mexico (Isla Mujeres) for 1/4 of the year and have not mentioned any negative change due to violence. I've been and never felt unsafe.

I would not go to Chitzen Itza with 2 small children. It's a very long and dull bus ride to and from that is filled with constant sales pitches. Chitzen Itza is very hot, so you have to bring double the water and all...

I would suggest Isla Mujeres to stay and is kid friendly. It's really safe, authentically Mexican, and affordable. The beaches look nicer than Cancun.

I am not a fan of Cancun. Why go to Mexico if where you are staying is totally void of anything Mexican?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
I am looking to take my family on vacation to the Cancun area (a little south of) and stay in a resort...we were also going to go to the Playa Del Carmen to shop (and I want to go to LCDH) and see the Maya Ruins (Chitzen Itza)...we have made reservations. I am a bit concerned because I keep hearing of all the corruption, violent crimes, and kidnappings there (because I am taking 2 small children)...I want to hear from people that have been there recently what they thought. I have never been to Mexico...
The majority of the crime is happening in the "Border" towns. I was in Cozumel 2 months ago and had no problems. I believe if you are in the tourist areas and staying at a resort you should be fine. I would not hesitate to take a vacation in central or south Mexico!!! Just my If you can, find out what state in Mexico you are staying in and do a Google search for crime rates there.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

We are going to Barceló Maya Colonial Beach located in Xpu-Ha...guess that isn't Cancun.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

I've mentioned this before, but bring extra cash for bribes just in case you need it. The wife and I were shook down by a very nice lady customs agnt. for 200 american at the airport in Cancoon 2 years ago. Others staying at the same resort were shook down for 60 bucks by a police man because the taxi driver was speeding.

Just remember it's not Disney World. At least when they shake you down at the magic kingdom you get a t-shirt and Mickey Mouse ice cream cone.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

We are leaving Saturday for Playa Del Carmen and will be staying at the Iberostar Tucan. We were there a few years ago and had a great time. The resort is actually in Playacar.. which is a gated resort area a five minute taxi ride from Playa Del Carmen. We will be traveling with my 29 year old daughter and I really have no qualms about that area.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo View Post
I've mentioned this before, but bring extra cash for bribes just in case you need it. The wife and I were shook down by a very nice lady customs agnt. for 200 american at the airport in Cancoon 2 years ago. Others staying at the same resort were shook down for 60 bucks by a police man because the taxi driver was speeding.

Just remember it's not Disney World. At least when they shake you down at the magic kingdom you get a t-shirt and Mickey Mouse ice cream cone.
Sounds like a hastle more than a vacation....I have been through most of Europe backpacking without incident (almost pickpocketed in Spain) and I have been to the Carribean...the difference is I didn't have 2 small kids with me which is why I am concerned. Not sure this trip is gonna be worth it.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

Quote:
Sounds like a hastle more than a vacation....I have been through most of Europe backpacking without incident (almost pickpocketed in Spain) and I have been to the Carribean...the difference is I didn't have 2 small kids with me which is why I am concerned. Not sure this trip is gonna be worth it.
We've been to other countries several times and this was the 1st time we ever encountered anything like this. Others we've talked to go yearly and love it. It's all just the luck of the draw anywhere you go I guess.

I just have to go by my own personal experience. They actually tore one of the pages in my passport in front of me and said it wasn't valid. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he showed up, tore a different page and then told me he'd let me pass through as a personal favor if I handed them cash. It was like watching a movie that I couldn't pause.

We didn't leave the resort after that, and I'm sure missed a lot that the country has to offer.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

I would recommend Chichen Itza for the cultural experience - even though it's extremly hot and about 45-1hr trip out from Cancun. Most of the tour buses will also make a side trip to a large cenote that you can swim in (tons of fun and IIRC only like $5-10 extra pp)
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
I would recommend Chichen Itza for the cultural experience - even though it's extremly hot and about 45-1hr trip out from Cancun. Most of the tour buses will also make a side trip to a large cenote that you can swim in (tons of fun and IIRC only like $5-10 extra pp)
More like 2+ hours from Cancun.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

While I have not been to Mexico with two small children recently (the kids have grown up a bit). We did travel to Cozumel when they were young and we found it to be a great vacation.

Traveling with kids is a different experience than just traveling with a spouse or friend, but it can be just as or more rewarding -- but in different ways.

As others have stated, you might want to stay away from long hikes in the hotter, drier areas, but there is still plenty to see and do. You also know how you kids handle things and what kind of stamina they have, so rely on your instincts and you will be fine.

Don't forget to enjoy some fine cigars while you are down there

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Taking the family to Cancun in the Spring. I was a bit sketched, but I just do what my wife says....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

Quote:
We've been to other countries several times and this was the 1st time we ever encountered anything like this. Others we've talked to go yearly and love it. It's all just the luck of the draw anywhere you go I guess.

I just have to go by my own personal experience. They actually tore one of the pages in my passport in front of me and said it wasn't valid. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he showed up, tore a different page and then told me he'd let me pass through as a personal favor if I handed them cash. It was like watching a movie that I couldn't pause.

We didn't leave the resort after that, and I'm sure missed a lot that the country has to offer.
Wow,,,that really sucks..was this going through customs?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

Quote:
Wow,,,that really sucks..was this going through customs?
Yep. Got off the plane, walked down the ramp, stood in line, handed them my passport to get stamped/scanned, and the games began.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

Quote:
Yep. Got off the plane, walked down the ramp, stood in line, handed them my passport to get stamped/scanned, and the games began.
WTF...so you were carrying boxes of cubans under your arm right?...amazing
Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

Quote:
WTF...so you were carrying boxes of cubans under your arm right?...amazing
Dude I would have traded all the cubans in the world for clean pair of shorts at the time.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Umm, in the last couple of months, wasn't there reported violence in Cancun? I think a couple of tourists were gunned down. Here is one story.

I wouldn't go to the border towns. But I am starting to get the feeling things are getting a little sporty in tourist towns as well.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Shot two U.S. federal agents in Mexico City Area yesterday and that is a Long Way from the border!

In the world right now there are way too many wonderful nice places to go in the U.S.A. for me to try my luck in most foreign countries right now, especially Mexico or the Middle East.

Each to his own but Mexico is not for me!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

i'd much rather go to say, jamaica negril and ocho rios are beautiful, you can drink the water and no bribes are needed
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
pennjones
amateur afficionado!

First Name: Brad
Trading: (12)
Punch
pennjones is on a distinguished road

My wife and I went to Riviera Maya (playa del Carmen) in 2008 for our honeymoon and it was fantastic. Not in an area where I would feel unsafe at all. We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, which was fantastic, very highly recommended by apple vacations and our travel agent. We did go on 2 "out of resort destinations." One was to Chichen Itza, which was fantastic! And while I would go there again in a second, I don't know if I would want small children on that trip with me either. The other trip we did was a snorkeling excursion where you get to snorkel from a freshwater lagoon out to a saltwater reef, then do some cave snorkeling (yes I said cave snorkeling), then you get to go to a beautiful cenote and go diving, snorkeling, jumping off cliffs, etc. It was a great time and I can highly recommend the trip!!
pennjones is offline   Reply With Quote