Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about
Default Question about temp controll

Hey I have (now 3) humidors and I live on the 2nd floor of a house that has a horrible AC system and I'm having a hard time keeping my humi's below or recently anywhere close to 70* (last I looked it was 76*), I can store them in the basement but the only problem is then whenever I want to smoke I got to walk through the house and out of my "apartment". I've tried keeping my humi's in a cabinet and out of the sun etc but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have also mildly looked into getting a wine cooler but I don't really have any space due to a 1 year old and a wife that loves to craft in a small 2 bedroom. Any ideas would be great because I had the pleasure of being bored yesterday and reading the thread on cigar beetles and now I’m all worried about my sticks
363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Question about temp controll

Just get a wineador and use it as a nightstand
Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
FNA
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
FNA is on a distinguished road

All I can say is that I have no AC in my house so summer temps are regularly 75 F and above for months at a time. I keep thousands of cigars and have done so for years.

Especially if you purchase non-Cuban cigars, in this day and age the chances of beetles are very low. Keep your eye on your stock and you should be okay.

Some might suggest "pre-emptive" freezing, but based on my experience, I don't see it as necessary.
FNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Infecting Via PM

RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNA View Post
All I can say is that I have no AC in my house so summer temps are regularly 75 F and above for months at a time. I keep thousands of cigars and have done so for years.
Yeah my part of the house stays about about 80 to 85 and up during the summer, they keep the AC on downstairs but there is a definitive 10+ degree difference between floors so when they get to cold they turn the air off.

but I broke down after have a talk with the wife and jumped on a 18 bottle wine cooler I saw falconman515's post (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=wineador) about the sale and got one. I have a small stock but hopefully tomorrow it will be doubled. I got sucked into the devils site and ordered some 5 packs and samplers. now I got some research to do on what I need to do it get it ready.

How many cigars do you figure a 18 bottle will hold?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

It really depends on how they are stored. In boxes or singles drawers, are the boxes full...size of the cigars....etc etc.

I would say probably 300-400 singles, somewhere in that range or close.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
falconman515
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Chris
JL
falconman515 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363 View Post
Yeah my part of the house stays about about 80 to 85 and up during the summer, they keep the AC on downstairs but there is a definitive 10+ degree difference between floors so when they get to cold they turn the air off.

but I broke down after have a talk with the wife and jumped on a 18 bottle wine cooler I saw falconman515's post (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=wineador) about the sale and got one. I have a small stock but hopefully tomorrow it will be doubled. I got sucked into the devils site and ordered some 5 packs and samplers. now I got some research to do on what I need to do it get it ready.

How many cigars do you figure a 18 bottle will hold?
Glad to see that thread didn't go to waste.

For some ideas how to build your new wineador see my build thead ... it has helped many BOTL and in my opinion the most effective route in building a cigar wine cooler . http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50189

I can hold around 400-450 in my "28" bottle NewAir ... so an 18 bottle will be far less ... if I had to guess all depending on how they are stored I would say more around 300 or so give or take.

If I can help out in anyway with your build once it arrives let me know brother!
falconman515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Infecting Via PM

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
Glad to see that thread didn't go to waste.

For some ideas how to build your new wineador see my build thead ... it has helped many BOTL and in my opinion the most effective route in building a cigar wine cooler . http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50189

I can hold around 400-450 in my "28" bottle NewAir ... so an 18 bottle will be far less ... if I had to guess all depending on how they are stored I would say more around 300 or so give or take.

If I can help out in anyway with your build once it arrives let me know brother!
you know it! thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Infecting Via PM

RA

what i did notice that is gonna suck is that the dims on the 18 bottle are 20.5 x 13 x 25.25 which means that I cant order shelves from CH because they are 12.5 and I'm assuming that the dims listed on the site are OSD. but if those wont work i wanna see about having my brother help me maybe make some custom shelves as kinda a bonding project
Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

order shelves from forrest--- http://www.wineadors.com/
Just give him the dimensions mine came out amazing
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
falconman515
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Chris
JL
falconman515 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho View Post
order shelves from forrest--- http://www.wineadors.com/
Just give him the dimensions mine came out amazing
Yep this is your best bet ... Forresst will take of care of you for sure!

He also makes just trays like the ones I got from CH and they are deeper than the CH ones so you get more rooms to store sticks ... last I heard as well is that he would make trays to fit smaller units as well for the same price price (may be a bucks or so more a tray but when you only need 7 a buck or tow isn't bad). http://www.wineadors.com/accessories.html

Hit him up on what you want ... whether its trays to save money or if you want a full drawer system he will custom make it to fit your 18 bottle unit for no additional cost then whats listed on the website for the 28 bottle units.
falconman515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
Infecting Via PM

RA

sweet I will most def look into it
Old 05-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Shelves in a wine cooler are really not necessary, but they look nice. Especially in such a small unit it will limit capacity. Its just as easy to pick up some empty boxes for singles storage. My first wine cooler I did the shelves and drawers, but for my second I just used the wire shelves and spent the extra money on more cigars.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Infecting Via PM

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Shelves in a wine cooler are really not necessary, but they look nice. Especially in such a small unit it will limit capacity. Its just as easy to pick up some empty boxes for singles storage. My first wine cooler I did the shelves and drawers, but for my second I just used the wire shelves and spent the extra money on more cigars.
Thanks bobarian, I am also considering this route too, the key factors in this are money mainly and how to keep the mrs. happy. does she really want to look at a bunch of boxes or some nice shelves seeing as its probably going to have to sit in the living room
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I can't remember the last time my house was under 75
Old 05-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Infecting Via PM

RA

well my NewAir 18 count just showed up today gotta get it home and start the smell removal
Old 05-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You could buy a wine fridge with a regulator to keep the cigars in the high 50's. You could also be more careful with the humidity and just keep what you got. Humidity should go down as the temperatures rise. I would shoot for around 60% max humidity with your temps. When I had desktop humidor and even now with my Aristocrat cabinet, I take the humdity element out in the summer the cigars are fine.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Jon11 is on a distinguished road

76 is fine. Talked to a couple guys at the local B&M here in New Orleans and they rarely worry about temp, as long as it doesnt get much higher than 80 they say your fine.
Jon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Trace63
We're all mad here

First Name: Kamil
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Trace63 is on a distinguished road

I used a vinotemp now, but when I used to use regular humidors I rarely worried about temps. I would regularly see mid-high 70's and never had an issue.
[replicant_argent] 11:07 am: Wasn't wayne a busboy at the last supper?
[Dooge] 10:49 pm: just judo chopped a fly
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
Infecting Via PM

RA

looking at the 18 bottle it doesn't look like it will hold a lot, but I will prob keep one of my humidors full with ready to smokes near one of my window AC units
Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

I have an Edgestar 28 and have never plugged it in. I keep her in my closet and my temp indicator never has gone over 71 degrees.
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote