Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Dirty Glassware at a Bar

I don't mean to be dramatic, but there are few things on earth that I find more revolting than being served a glass with some woman's lipstick on it. This just happened to me a couple hours ago. My wife and I were out running a few errands, and we decided to get an early dinner while we were out. We went to a popular upmarket Chinese "chain" restaurant. I ordered a Newcastle, which was served to me in a shaker pint with pink lipstick on the side and rim. How on earth does this make it past the dishwater, bartender, and server? I sent it back and they replaced it with no problem, but I still can't fathom how careless people must be for something like this to get past 3 people. I wonder how dirty the rest of their plates, dishes and silverware are?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Pauly Walnuts

Default Re: Dirty Glassware at a Bar

I remember one time at Red Lobster I got completely used silverware, I dont even think they made an attempt to wash em. The scariest part is sending it back, you might have been drinking something worse than the original lipstick on it.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Yuck!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Walnuts View Post
I remember one time at Red Lobster I got completely used silverware, I dont even think they made an attempt to wash em. The scariest part is sending it back, you might have been drinking something worse than the original lipstick on it.
I think that people watch movies like "Waiting" and think that this stuff happens all the time (spitting in food etc...) for the most part unless you are a complete jerk to the staff you dont have to worry about sending something back especially for dirty silverware/barware
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Pauly Walnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post
I think that people watch movies like "Waiting" and think that this stuff happens all the time (spitting in food etc...) for the most part unless you are a complete jerk to the staff you dont have to worry about sending something back especially for dirty silverware/barware
I don't know, Ive worked at a Dennys and it was somewhat like waiting. All I'll say is there are some truly disgusting people out there.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
nayslayer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Larry
Trading: (0)
nayslayer is on a distinguished road

Any chain type restaurant is sketchy. Service usually sux, i don't know if it's My luck, or the people working there just suck. Getting orders wrong, bringing out entre's our right after getting our appitizers. Numerous issues. I try to support the non-chain eating establishments, they care about their customers, and food is generally better
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Was she a hot bartender? Maybe she was trying to hit on you.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Are we sure it was a woman's lipstick? We had it happen to someone in a group of us in a Waffle House....of course it is expected in Waffle House.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I have been a barkeeper for 10+ years, and it just happens. Lipstick is hard to get off a glass and with the limited light in a bar you just don't see it all the time, especially when it's busy.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Wipe it off and drink it. Come on
Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I have been a barkeeper for 10+ years, and it just happens. Lipstick is hard to get off a glass and with the limited light in a bar you just don't see it all the time, especially when it's busy.
Have to agree here.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
Are we sure it was a woman's lipstick?
Was there a drag queen review dining earlier?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayslayer View Post
Any chain type restaurant is sketchy. Service usually sux, i don't know if it's My luck, or the people working there just suck. Getting orders wrong, bringing out entre's our right after getting our appitizers. Numerous issues. I try to support the non-chain eating establishments, they care about their customers, and food is generally better
I always try to go to locally owned places if I can as well they almost always have better service and better food
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Was she a hot bartender? Maybe she was trying to hit on you.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cort View Post
Wipe it off and drink it. Come on
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Have to agree here.
I strongly disagree, You are condoning unsanitary glassware because it's inconvenient to ensure it's clean? I can't think of any other industry where that attitude would be tolerated. You'd freak out if there was, say, hair under the plastic wrap of the meat you buy in the supermarket. Why is this different? There are obviously steps that can be taken to prevent this from occurring if the bar owner cared enough to ensure he was serving in clean glassware.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
tobii3

Unless you're drinking some pansy-a$$ drink at the bar, the sheer alcohol content of your drink will sanitize the glass.

Then again, given the unsanitary conditions of the surface of the bar itself, the glass is the least of your worries.

Think about the bar towels.....

Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #16
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Warren, I don't say it's tollerated, but it happens. Every glass at my bar was cleaned, I don't know how it works in the US, but in Europe you have a sink with a constant stream of clean water with 3 brushes standing on the bottom, and you clean all the glasses. Lipstick is very hard to get off, and if you don't see the lipstick due to the limited light at the bar, or maybe because its very busy, sometimes lipstick remains on the glass.

It just happens, and if it does, just ask for another glass, no bartender would refuse, but don't be a drama queen about it. I bet you aren't flawless at your work, nobody is.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I'm with Don here. It happens. I find the hair in food much more revolting, especially when it takes about six inches of withdrawing your hand from your face to pull it all out of your mouth.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

Another former bartender here. Yes, it does happen. Yes, it's kind of gross. Proper procedure, if a guest brings it to your attention, is to apologize profusely and comp their drink.

In the bar area, the setup is what Don Fernando described. In the back, the glasses are put into racks and then run through a system with a conveyor belt, kind of like a car wash.

Problem is, neither of these methods is really effective at cleaning the OUTSIDE of the glass, or really scrubbing the lipstick, which is waxy, off. The temperature of the water and the chemicals used DO do an effective job of killing the germs.

Of course, if the women would just use the damn straws we give them in the first place ...
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I was out with friends and a beer was served with what looked like an oyster stuck in the bottom . It was huge , I noticed it as soon as my friend lifted his glass . The whole round was compt . It sucks when it happens to you but it does happen . I went to Starbucks one morning 2 years ago ,"THEY WERE OUT OF FRIGGING COFFEE!" . It happens and yes it really sucks .
Old 01-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ View Post
I went to Starbucks one morning 2 years ago ,"THEY WERE OUT OF FRIGGING COFFEE!" . It happens and yes it really sucks .
I got a $20 gift card from them when that happened.

The manager was so embarassed that she rang it up out of her own pocket.

Of course, the funniest moment of it all was the look on the customers faces.

"Lemme get a Large House Coffee"

""uh...we're out of coffee""

""So, how long does it take for it to brew?""

""What??""

""HOW...LONG...TO....MAKE...MORE?""

""We're Out, Sir""

""How the *&^% are you OUT of Coffee?? There's gotta be fifty bags of coffee in here, and you don't HAVE any coffee?? This is a friggin COFFEE shop, what the hell do you do behind the counter, make floral arrangements all day??""

""No sir, we have Espresso. Would you like an espresso drink??""

This is when the manager walked in.

I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. The poor kid that came in behnid me looked shell-shocked.

I still have the card! I think it has around $1.47 on it....

Closed Thread