Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Camacho Triple Maduro 11/18

Old review I did.

Cigar: Camacho Triple Maduro 11/18

Price: Box of 18 was $120 so $6.66 a cigar. Most places they are about 12 bucks each.

Setting: Sun room, about 60 degrees out. Paired with a Barqs rootbeer.

Pre-light: It's a damned good looking cigar. Interesting figurado shape roughly a 6x54. To tell you the truth I mostly got the cigar for the gimmick and I thought they'd be good bomb fodder. Band is almost Gurkhaest in its ostentatiousness, but still pretty good looking with the silver contrasting nicely with the deep dark maduro wrapper. Had a nice sweet tobacco odor to it. The cigar is incredibly firm to the touch, I was a bit worried it would be too tight but after it's cut it had a great draw with just a touch of resistance. I was starting to get really excited for this smoke.

First third: I lit the cigar with my Zplus Zippo until it was fully lit at the foot and then took a draw. Wow. Simply wow. Started off with just incredible chocolatey maduro flavor. I was surprised with how smooth it was. No harshness at all. Just rich smooth flavor. I'm used to my Camachos being on the spicy side but this wasn't at all. As you can tell I was very pleased with the direction this was heading.

Second third: Flavors are really picking up. Still that chocolatey goodness but increasing in intensity. It almost overpowers the palate and the finish is very thick and lingering. Burn isn't incredibly even but never required a touch up. Ash is a tad dark and flakey but I'm not caring very much at this point. I'm in freaking heaven.

The finale: Man, I think I've found my new favorite smoke. The flavors continue being extremely rich and the smoke is incredibly thick. It is a smoke ring machine. No gratuitous smoke ring shots this time though. In total the smoke lasted me about 2 and a half hours with only one relight when I got distracted by a phone call. I smoked it until I literally couldn't hold it anymore and it never got harsh, just creamy smoothness the entire way through. Finish was thick and lingering but extremely pleasant.

Verdict: Definitely my new favorite smoke. I was really pleasantly surprised because I figured this was just a gimmick. Burn and draw were great, and I can't imagine it being more packed with flavor. It's really not an everyday cigar, and I did miss some of the spice from my regular smokes, but this one is gonna be my go to special occasion smoke. And of course I'm going to be finding a lot of special occasions. As for the bomb fodder, they're mine, all mine, I'm not letting these things out of my hands. ;D

Rating: 9.5/10
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:09 AM   #2
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Camacho Triple Maduro 11/18

Great review, thanks. I'm a maduro guy myself, so I'll give these a whirl.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
BigAl_SC
The last mango in Paris

First Name: Alan
Trading: (7)
Trinidad
BigAl_SC is on a distinguished road

Great review on a great stick. Nice price grab also. Cbid?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review! I know what I am going to fire up tonight.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
kfish

Good review, I agree these are some tasty sticks.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
Zipper
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ERdM
Zipper is on a distinguished road

Maybe I got a bad one? I tried on of these about a year ago. Paid about 9.50 for it I think, from a B&M on a whim. Like you said, it smelled great, it looked great, and I was really excited. Then I clipped it, and everything changed. The draw was like somebody had let all the sugar out of a giant pixie stick, and I was just sucking through a huge straw. There was almost no smoke, I got almost no flavor except harshness because I was trying so hard to keep it lit that it started to smoke hot. I gave it an inch, and re-lit three times, and called it quits. I was really disappointed.

Please, someone else let me know that this is just a random bad stick I got
Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Camachos can have really free draws. Helps to work up your clip of the head, though I haven't had that problem with the 11/18 or 4.5x50 which are the sizes I smoke most often. I'd give them another shot.

I bought mine from cigarwarehousehouston.com. It's a membership site but WAY worth it.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

+1 On CigarWarehouseHouston- great prices, esp on Camachos.

Great review of a great cigar btw.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review, now there is yet another cigar that I have to try.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Dang!!! You didn't waste any time Steve!!!

Nice review!!! Not that I haven't heard the rave review for Camachos from you before!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #11
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Got one of these in the humi, thanks to Shilala. I intend to fire it up soon. thanks
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
FriskyDingo
hoosierherfers.com

First Name: Evan
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
FriskyDingo is on a distinguished road

Great review!

I love that cigar, mighty tasty! Especially in the 11/18 size.

-= http://www.hoosierherfers.com =-
FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote