Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice
Default New phone time, I need opinions...

I'm looking for opinions on the Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Edge and LG G5.
Who has them and what do you like/dislike about them?
I'm currently running an iPhone 4S and I'm looking to upgrade.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New phone time, I need opinions...

Woah, whatever you end up with is going to me miles (kilometers?) ahead of what you have now.

Everyone I know with the edge likes it but isn't sure it was worth paying more than the regular S7.

I've got a Moto Z and love it, so maybe add that to the running? It's got some really nice features such as infrared scanners to open the screen and shakes/rotations to open certain apps.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
ksknnr
Feeling at Home

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (13)
ksknnr is on a distinguished road

I had an iPhone 5 and updated to the S7, I had for about two months and went back to the iPhone with a 6s plus
I just didn't like the android platform and was more comfortable with the iPhone
Just my
Old 12-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
omahaorange
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Russ
Trading: (0)
omahaorange is on a distinguished road

I have the edge, pre-ordered when it was first announced. Love the phone. The edge part of it is okay, I don't use it much. However, the edge does have a slightly larger screen and bigger battery, which is what sold me.

The only drawback is, if you're like me and don't like the phone in your pocket, cases with belt clips are real hard to find. The S7 itself has a multitude of cases.

Oh, and it hasn't exploded on me...yet.
omahaorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Always Had iPhones & Love Them. Just Bought A 7 Plus Last Week.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Just got an iPhone 7 plus and its killer but also got an LG V20 and it's pretty nice as well but if I was forced to choose I'd go iPhone 7 plus. just my
Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I have 'regular' S7 and love it. I have never used an iphone, so I cannot compare. My previous phone was an S5 Active and the S7 is only incrementally better. Flawed phone warranty plan forced a switch from Windows phone to Android a couple years ago and I'm happy enough with droid os. My only knock on the S7 is the battery life isn't so great...but, in its favor,...... it doesn't explode
Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I am an iphone guy too. My wife had a couple androids and I hate the operating system, so I finally bought her an iphone and gave it to her and she loves it.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I have an iPhone 7 and a Nextbit Robin right now. it really depends on what you prefer and what you need the phone for. If you are an iPhone user now and have not played with android then it will be frustrating at first to relearn the menus. Personally I am not a fan on the Samsung extra's they add to Android. for that money I would prefer the Google Pixel or as I have done I go with a lower power mid range phone that costs $200-$400 that doesn't have as mush extra software. The other androids I would look at in the mid-range would be the OnePlus 3 and the Honor 8.

This being said if you have everything with Apple right now then an iPhone 7 or 6s will be a very easy transition.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta agree with Jay, Darryl.
I'm stuck in the iphone loop. Mind ya, my 6 plus didn't last but a year.
I was in a bind and ran to the 6s plus which has been good to me.

I bought my daughter an s7 and it just came today.
The specs on the s7 blow my iphone out of the water by a blue mile. Just like the "pc or mac" argument, everything apple costs way more for a lot less.
This was okay with me because I LOVE iphones, and they used to stand behind everything 100%.
Not anymore. Problems? They tell you to pound your phone up your ass.

The android OS is stupid simple. Far more direct and allows much greater control over apps and the whole experience.

Personally, I'm all done with iphones and apple. Only because I'm familiar with the Android OS now from fixing everybody's phone and gutting FBI viruses off of them.

The main lure for me to the s7 is the camera, honestly.
Were all things equal, I'd stay with my iphones.
The expanded storage capability of the s7 is BOSS. This is supposed to be the last iteration with that capability, too. So it'd be a good jump.

That's about as muddy as I can make the waters for you, brother.
I do know where you can get a pristine 6s plus.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Well.... I went with the Galaxy S7 Edge and LOVE it!
I used the camera today to take some "Here, this is what I'm talking about" pictures at work... WOW! I can't believe the difference from the "Here, this is what I'm talking about" pictures I took with my iPhone in the past.
Got a good deal on a service plan and an in store credit which got me a glass screen protector and Otterbox case.

Anyone want a iPhone 4S???
Old 01-03-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
RelaxingSmoke
Just in from the Storm

RelaxingSmoke is on a distinguished road

The S7 is conisdered the flagship phone so I would go with that. Personally, I got the iphone 6 and I love it!
RelaxingSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You done good, Darryl.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #14
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Well.... I went with the Galaxy S7 Edge and LOVE it!
I used the camera today to take some "Here, this is what I'm talking about" pictures at work... WOW! I can't believe the difference from the "Here, this is what I'm talking about" pictures I took with my iPhone in the past.
Got a good deal on a service plan and an in store credit which got me a glass screen protector and Otterbox case.

Anyone want a iPhone 4S???
To be fair I don't know if you can compare 3 generation old tech with current as far at the pictures, that being said the 7+ takes amazing pictures with the dual cam technology.

Glad you got something you dig because in the end that's all that really matters
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I went back to iPhone (whatever the new is) and really like it more than the Asus on Andriod I had before. I am not an Apple fan, but they really hit out of the park on the iPhone. It's just easier to use and new one is pretty nice. I bought the regular size one in rose gold. I think it was $600?

GF has Samsung, also nice, but too complicated for something that shouldn't be...
Old 01-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #16
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Same boat. Limping my iPhone5 until the 8 comes out.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #17
spark
Just in from the Storm

spark is on a distinguished road

Op systems is like politics. You're never going to convince a conservative to turn lib, and you're never going to convince an apple user to change.

I also just bought the S7 this past weekend for both me and my wife. (we like having the same phone so we can help each other out )
We'd been using the S3 for 4 years.

Maybe iphone is better but I'm used to how android works so I like the fact that I don't have to re-learn everything with the S7
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark View Post
Op systems is like politics. You're never going to convince a conservative to turn lib, and you're never going to convince an apple user to change.
Yes and no. I hate Apple products, especially their OS. Would do anything not to use IOS, but after a stint with Android, I am all iPhone again.

Phone should be easy and to the point. iPhone is good at that. As long as you don't store music on it; you're all set!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #19
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Yes and no. I hate Apple products, especially their OS. Would do anything not to use IOS, but after a stint with Android, I am all iPhone again.

Phone should be easy and to the point. iPhone is good at that. As long as you don't store music on it; you're all set!
Why don't you like to store music on it, just curious. I used to store all my music on it but then went to Apple Music for 10 bucks a month it's basically every song ever and love the Siri integration.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #20
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark View Post
Not true, I was a PC and Android guy, used to mock Apple fan boys all the time until I got a company phone, an iPhone and then an iPad. Bought a macbook soon after, I'm an Apple fan boy now so I was convinced to change.