Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #21
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: 8 year old kid gets pepper sprayed by the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
No doubt the police acted appropriately. But if the boy is mentally ill I'm afraid it's not likely the pepper spray will give him a "new lease on life". The next time he suffers an episode his memory of this incident will play no part in determining his actions.
True but that is not the goal of of spray. It's meant to get the person to stop doing what they are doing and allow you to control the situation which it clearly did. Kid got what he deserved. To be honest if he is that mentally ill it would not have effected him, trust me.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #22
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods357 View Post
I got spanked pretty often for a few years and after I got the point almost never.
I got the point loud and clear when I got the belt, I promise you.

Children don't read adult friends, or to be "reasoned" with. They need parents.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #23
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
True but that is not the goal of of spray. It's meant to get the person to stop doing what they are doing and allow you to control the situation which it clearly did. Kid got what he deserved. To be honest if he is that mentally ill it would not have effected him, trust me.
Of course it's not the goal of pepper spray. I was responding to a post on the thread that expressed the opinion that it might have that effect. And please trust me, most mentally ill people respond to pepper spray the same way you would most of the time. Methods of coercion and restraint used in mental health institutions are very similar to those used everywhere and they are most often effective in the short term.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #24
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
My parents would have charged the classroom themselves and beat my ass all the way home. The Police would have been the LEAST of my worries.
You got that rite!!

I bet that kid tells his mom what to do, when to do it, and how to do it....
He deserves what he gets... any kid with anger issues @8.... c'mon I can bet the parents are a bunch of PTA award winners in the first place.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #25
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

hey that kid's lucky he didn't get shot
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #26
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My parents would have charged the classroom themselves and beat my ass all the way home. The Police would have been the LEAST of my worries.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #27
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

As good a reason as any to post a South Park video.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #28
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

There was question to the kid's mental condition.
In the interview, there was mention that the child was afflicted with PTSD. The interviewer picked apart the PTSD thing, and it appears he has PTSD from being bullied.
Which brings me to bullying...
If some of you do not have kids going to school right now (we have 3, 9-14), the latest and greatest craze is the "just say no to bullying" campaign. There are assemblies, "special people" come to the school, non in-house police visit the schools, there are homework assignments, and tests on how to handle a bully.
Mind ya now, this is no sh1t coming right here...
If a bully, say, grabs your arm, you are to pull your arm away and shout "NO!!!!" That will instantly and effectively eradicate the bullying, at which time you are to immediately go to the office and file a report on the incident.
To this point in time, that's it. The kids haven't been instructed in self defense, haven't been taught how to break a nose, they weren't even so much as taught to run screaming to draw attention. Nothing realistic to protect themselves.

I don't really want to make light of this, because I guess some think it's become a great big problem. I can't imagine how bad I'd feel if my child were regular bully meat. I was fortunate growing up, I got bullied once by a kid much bigger than me. He took to writing on my face with a marker. I slapped the marker away and he was fixing to whip my ass when my brother came around the corner. The ass whipping immediately changed ownership, and said bully never came within 50 feet of me the rest of the year. By the following year, I could take care of him myself. Thank God for big brothers.
That leads me to a point/question...
There's gazillions of "kids band together and banish the bully" feel-good movies out there. None of our kids (5) have ever had a problem. Is this one another blown-up media hypesicle, or do your kids report that it's really gotten worse?
Mine have not. If anything, it's the opposite. There are penalties in place now for violating another kid's personal space that weren't in place when I was coming up, but on the other hand, the kids can say most anything without fear of reprisal. There's a big difference there.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #29
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I guess Mario that what you are saying is that you got beat for no reason. I made it clear that I had it
coming everytime. I know why I got beaten, I took the beatings, I did not associate the beatings with
any flaw in my parents but rather a reward for the fun that I had that I knew I would have to pay for
one day. I knew I was a devious lil $hi+, and I knew there would be a day of comeuppance.
And it was worth it. I feel for people who were abused by POSs, and yet it still does not change my
opinion that kids have no fear of consequences today, and that is DUE TO SOMETHING MISSING that has
been taken out of the aresnal of good parenting. I can understand the real sensitivity you have to the issue
Mario, but to me it is like saying that everyone who owns a gun is going to murder someone someday.
A good weapon in the hands of a person with bad intent is going to be abused. I see spanking as a good
weapon that can be used for bad by cruel people.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I guess Mario that what you are saying is that you got beat for no reason. I made it clear that I had it
coming everytime. I know why I got beaten, I took the beatings, I did not associate the beatings with
any flaw in my parents but rather a reward for the fun that I had that I knew I would have to pay for
one day. I knew I was a devious lil $hi+, and I knew there would be a day of comeuppance.
And it was worth it. I feel for people who were abused by POSs, and yet it still does not change my
opinion that kids have no fear of consequences today, and that is DUE TO SOMETHING MISSING that has
been taken out of the aresnal of good parenting. I can understand the real sensitivity you have to the issue
Mario, but to me it is like saying that everyone who owns a gun is going to murder someone someday.
A good weapon in the hands of a person with bad intent is going to be abused. I see spanking as a good
weapon that can be used for bad by cruel people.
There's always gonna be an asshole in every crowd, and unfortunately, Mario found him.
Mario shows day in and day out that some of the best men ever made walked a long sh1t-covered road to get there.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #31
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I got the point loud and clear when I got the belt, I promise you.

Children don't read adult friends, or to be "reasoned" with. They need parents.

I couldn't agree more, Tom. I see all of these parents that spend more time trying to be friends with their kids than being parents. Living in the crazy liberal state of Massachusetts, if you discipline your kids, you're called out for being cruel.

When I was growing up, my father raised us on the 2-Strike rule...he told you not to do somethng, and if you did it again, you got your a$$ handed to you...none of this "try to rationalize with your child" BS.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post

I couldn't agree more, Tom. I see all of these parents that spend more time trying to be friends with their kids than being parents. Living in the crazy liberal state of Massachusetts, if you discipline your kids, you're called out for being cruel.

When I was growing up, my father raised us on the 2-Strike rule...he told you not to do somethng, and if you did it again, you got your a$$ handed to you...none of this "try to rationalize with your child" BS.
My old man rationalized with me in his own way. "Because I said so" was pretty popular. He really did take the time to tell me the where's and why's of things along the way, even if it was just "you clean your room because we don't live like pigs". Short and to the point.
Lots of things were like that. Others he'd really take the time because he drank a lot and he liked to hear himself talk. I took great stock in all the things he taught me, and still do. Later in life I found out that a lot of things he believed were wrong, and made changes for myself, but he still covered everything that he could the best he could.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #33
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I got the crap beaten out of me as a child.
In fact, I vividly recall the embarrassment of once going to school with a black eye at the hands of my father.

I don't hold any grudges.
In fact, few men I admire as much as him.

He has been a role model, faithful husband.
He has always been a hard working, honest man, at times never working less than seven days a week to provide for us.
Anything he could give me, including a college education, a car and so on, he did.

I say all this because again, he beat the chit out me.
He would unscrew the stick on a toilet plunger and chase me for blocks, in front of my friends, until he eventually got me at some point in the day.

Frankly, I deserved it.
I was on a bad road growing up in the streets of Newark.
Of all my friends at the time (20 or so of us), I am the ONLY one to graduate college.
I am one of maybe three of us that did not land in jail, although I was tailed in HS and had officers undercover visit my home and drag me into the pricipal's office in school.
About half are now dead.
One turned massive murderer.
I have a great life today, with a successful career, home and more importantly, family.
I truly feel I owe all it to my dad and his discipline.
The road I was on was not going to get better by talking.

My dad never laid a hand on me unless I was out of control.
When I behaved, there was no greater father.

The similar discipline was used with my son.
Except the stick and black eye part.
He is a stellar young man, with a great career and good head on his shoulers and we have a great relationship.

My daughter on the other hand was mostly spoken to and she gave me all the headaches. Go figure. So much for talking.

I share this to show not all beatings make you hateful. Some truly knock sense in you.

Last edited by Blueface; 04-11-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #34
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
He would unscrew the stick on a toilet plunger and chase me for blocks, in front of my friends, until he eventually got me at some point in the day.
Reminds me of the time my mom broke the ruler she was spanking me with and to piss her off I started laughing about it (tears still in my eyes). This resulted in me running for my life around the yard, her close behind with a tree limb a little thicker than a baseball over her head. Don't know what she would have done if she caught up with me before my dad showed up.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #35
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I know what you mean, Darrell! I didn't have to live with the police. I would've been praying for jail time to keep from having to go home!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #36
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I agree with being anti beatings.
However, one swift solid foot up the a$$ requiring a proctologist to remove the shoe is perfect for this situation.
Agree, good ol fashioned discipline is good every now & then. By NO means do I condone beating any child. Just keep them in line old school way.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #37
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I can think of many other children around that age that need to get pepper sprayed as well.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #38
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Modern parenting:

I've tried nothin', Man, and I'm outta ideas.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #39
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
My old man rationalized with me in his own way. "Because I said so" was pretty popular. He really did take the time to tell me the where's and why's of things along the way, even if it was just "you clean your room because we don't live like pigs". Short and to the point.
Lots of things were like that. Others he'd really take the time because he drank a lot and he liked to hear himself talk. I took great stock in all the things he taught me, and still do. Later in life I found out that a lot of things he believed were wrong, and made changes for myself, but he still covered everything that he could the best he could.
Yeah..."Because I said so" was a common one for me too. My dad never drank, so I never had to experience that, but he was a "it's my way, or the highway" type of guy. Granted when I was a kid, I thought there times when I hated my dad for his No-BS mentality, but I realize that it made me stronger and much more disciplined now I'm an adult.

As much as I would hate to admit this, and God help me if my father heard this, but I will raise my kids the same way he raised me...even though I'm sure there were times I swore that I wouldn't be like that when I have kids.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #40
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
F*** with the bull and you get the horns. Sorry the kid had to get sprayed, but he brought it on himself, and as Rick mentioned, he was much less likely to get permanently hurt this way than by physical restraint.
Yup, the police were called, that is what they decided as professionals was the safest to protect the crowd, perp, and themselves.