Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Island Prince Momona Dark

Okay, my first shot at a review.... Take it with a grain of salt.

Kauai Cigar Co. Island Prince Momona Dark 50 X 5.75

I purchased this cigar in Kauai in November of last year. Have been waiting for a reason to smoke it and tonight appeared to be reason enough....

I was excited to pull it out, the packaging is fun....

The cigar is fairly dark and smooth, slightly veiny...

Prelight draw is easy and gives a slight taste of what seems like sea-salt/seaweed.... Prepare for A LOT OF THAT.

First third is nothing but what seems like a ROOT brand sea salt candle.... I was ready to dump this. Every once in a while I would get a hint of something that gave me the feeling there was something else there....but it would go away quickly....

Nice draw, nice burn.... Keep sipping off my run and coke to kill the taste....

2nd 1/3 got a LITTLE better.... The salty taste dissipated slightly and I started to get a little more earth, but still had the saltwater/seaweed retro-hale..... At this point, texted the friend I went to Kauai with...told him of my experience... His response.... "Your palate is not ready for a fine cigar. Didn't you pay a lot for that?" (he doesn't smoke cigars and was giving me chit if that doesn't translate with the written word) I was not feeling any better. My daughter then tells me. "Something smells like a skunk."

At this point, I really question pushing through...which is what I feel like I am doing.... But it is my first review... I even have a pen out....so off I go...

I'm really trying to pull flavors out, every time I feel like there is something there, maybe some earthy something, maybe lighter tobacco.....I get back to the hint of that initial seasalt/seaweed.... I am not sure I have even heard a cigar described this way... WTF!

Final third actually becomes the most pleasant of the cigar. The salt is almost completely gone and I am left with earth and grass. I hear about Cubans having a pleasant grassy flavor, I have to believe this is not it. I am not sure this is not just due to me being on R&C #3.... As you can see they are not small, but they are doing their job, which is getting that salty taste out of my mouth....

I get down to about 1.5" and say enough is enough. Who knows, this cigar may be great and maybe I got a turd.....but it was just bad IMO. I wouldn't smoke another if someone gave me one, even to give it a second try. Just not worth the 2 hours, which is about what I spent smoking it...

E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Island Prince Momona Dark

Nice Review.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Maybe the roller swam to work that day...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
rrparkerr

not quite sure what happened there, man....

two of my buddies and i burned darks last night. i brought them back to the mainland about 3 months ago.

burned perfectly, drew perfectly, smelled and tasted fantastic. definitely no salt/seaweed in there. i recommend giving it another go. and if you ever run into a cigar that tastes like seaweed in the future... just put it down! i found myself sorta laughing as i was reading your review because... it sounded like you were punishing yourself needlessly. I would have doused that thing, contacted the company immediately and asked if they pride themselves on using only the highest quality seaweed in their cigars... see if they choose to provide another one (or a case!) to ya. the 3 we had last night were fantastic. will probably order more for 2011.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing...sorry you didn't enjoy it EJ!!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Sounds awful I agree with the above....Why did you power through it. If something tastes like crap I just put it down. No need in mass self punishment, especially 2 hours worth. Looks like a really nice presentation, shame it was a dog rocket.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote