Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road
Default Glacier National Park, Yellowstone

The Wife and I are heading to Glacier National and Yellowstone in July and was wondering if anyone here has any input as in the not to miss sights. I know some of the must see wonders are The going to the sun road in Glacier and Old Faithful and the Prismatic pools in Yellowstone. Pics would be great!! Thanks!!
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Glacier National Park, Yellowstone

Never been to Glacier, but willl one day. Been to Yellowstone twice and so far my favorite place on earth. Must see the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone which is on most places to stop while touring the park. Other than that, just drive slowly and enjoy the unbelievable nature. Have fun. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Yet to visit Glacier, Yellowstone is EPIC...just take it all in bro West Yellowstone is a fun little town if you make it over that way
Old 06-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Glacier is next on the list to visit. Been to Yellowstone twice. I second the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone comment. If you're in decent physical shape, I'd recommend you take uncle tom's trail, it's like 845 steps down the canyon side but if you can make it down and back up, the view of the falls is the best there is.

Also if you have some time, drive down south out of Yellowstone and go to the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole, Wy.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Iceberg lake in Glacier is something you might want to check out, its a bit of a hike, but one of the things about Glacier that I remember many years after my visit.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Spent 10 days in Glacier last August. Go in on the west side (thats where most things are), take a Red Bus tour of the Going to the Sun road, go check out the Lodge and do a boat ride tour of the lake and hike a bunch! Don't forget to call and check on when the Sun Road will be fully open, as last year it opened later in the season due to snow.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Glacier is next on the list to visit. Been to Yellowstone twice. I second the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone comment. If you're in decent physical shape, I'd recommend you take uncle tom's trail, it's like 845 steps down the canyon side but if you can make it down and back up, the view of the falls is the best there is.

Also if you have some time, drive down south out of Yellowstone and go to the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole, Wy.
If you decide to do the steps, take double or triple the water you think you'll need! You will drink it, and give some away to the stupid suckers that failed to take any along at all!!!

Go into the Old Faithful Lodge and sit a bit, looking up at the wonderful view! Don't limit your view to Old Faithful. Leave enough time to walk through the other basins. If you go to the south-east quadrant, to the mud pots, and spend anytime wandering, be prepared for everything you have on to smell like sulphur (even your solid bodily discharges will smell strongly of sulphur!). Truly, you can spend three weeks just driving and walking the easy stuff, and never seeing much that can be seen! The first time we went, we entered thru the NE corner, via Red Lodge and Beartooth Pass. Heavy snow in mid June, and you get close to 12,000 feet. Be aware of your physical conditions at this height. We all (My wife, me, NinjaVanish and his sister) all got stomach quizzy and disoriented from altitude sickness. The second trip, we came in thru the east gate, via Cody. If you have the time, a visit to Cody, and their museum is well worth the trip and the entrance fee. If you do make that side trip, do yourself a favor, and stop into the Erma Hotel for their lunch or supper. Opt for the dinner buffet, which included all the top grade prime rib you can eat, cut as you desire, when you get it.

We stayed in West Yellowstone the last time out, and found some great rates at mom and pop hotels, and it offers very good access to the park. (west gate is 1 block outside of town!) And the bald eagles tend (at least then) to nest close to the west entrance of the park.

Glacier, as Ninja says, is on the list for the next time out there!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Thanks Guys!!

I will have to watch the altitude when we went to haleakala crater in Maui it was at 10,000 ft and I had altitude sickness and I already have mild asthma which doesn't bother me smoking cigars but I workout 4 days a week so I'm not in to bad of shape but the steps may do me in.

The only downfall is we are only able to visit each park for 2 days. We are swinging out west to cover more of our 50 state goal we will also be visiting South Dakota,Montana,Wyoming Idaho,Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Kansas. We are staying in Bozeman to visit Yellowstone and then staying in Kalispell to visit Glacier. we will be doing a lot of driving but we hope to go back and spend more time at Glacier and Yellowstone when we get an RV some day.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

The Old Faithful Lodge and the Old Faithful Inn are both adjacent to Old Faithful, so you can visit them while you wait for it to explode! The Lodge is the one with the large second level patio overlooking the geyser. IMO, the Lodge is the best lodge in all of the national parks. Ninja would argue that the Ahwanhee, in Yosemite is better, and I can't really argue too much (but I still like the O.F. Lodge better). Given your time constricts, spend a day at Upper Geyser Basin around Old Faithful, exploring, then catch the Grand Canyon, from front, all the way to the end of the road for many different overlooks. To save time, you might consider staying in West Yellowstone over the one night, instead of driving all the way back to Boseman. You'll probably spend about the same in gas as the room, and it will allow you quicker access to the park for that second day. If you have extra time, try for the Norris Geyser Basin. It is the most active of the basins, and you'll see more action there on smaller geysers, plus Steamboat geyser is there, which gives a bigger, but less predictable show than Old Faithful.

My photos are ALL from paper print days, and I've never converted them to digital, so don't have them to show right now.

Last edited by SvilleKid; 06-09-2012 at 10:31 PM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Retiredguy
Life is good

First Name: Jack
Trading: (0)
Retiredguy is on a distinguished road

Yellowstone and Jackson Hole are my favorite places on earth. It looks like you're coming in from the north so your schedule might not let you get down to see the Tetons, but if you can it's worth the trip.
When your visiting Glacier, I recommend that you get a meal at Johnson's in St. Mary's on the east side of the park. Excellent family dining.
Retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

I've been to both, they're both amazing. My oly recommendation is to get off the road as much as possible. You don't have to hike far to get away from 99% of the people and their RV's. Pick up the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps for each park and pick some trails you think you can handle. Have fun!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquanch View Post
I've been to both, they're both amazing. My oly recommendation is to get off the road as much as possible. You don't have to hike far to get away from 99% of the people and their RV's. Pick up the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps for each park and pick some trails you think you can handle. Have fun!
This is true of the geyser basins. Most people see Old Faithful, and go no further. Most of the basins have trails that are one, two and three miles long, that can be walked with little trouble, but most people don't take the time.

Just be advised, stay on the marked paths. Give wildlife a wide berth, the buffalo are NOT tame, regardless of how close they want to walk to people. They will F you up! If you get to less active areas, be BEAR AWARE. There have been more fatal grizzly attacks than usual lately, due to increased populations of bears. The park rangers are good about posting warning sings in areas of known, recent bear activities, so be extra careful in those areas.

If you get out of your car and walk on any of the trails, I'd say you will be doing more than 75% of the visitors. Many visitors feel they get all there is to see by simply driving thru. Enjoy your trip, but return safe and sound!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Just be advised, stay on the marked paths. Give wildlife a wide berth, the buffalo are NOT tame, regardless of how close they want to walk to people. They will F you up! If you get to less active areas, be BEAR AWARE. There have been more fatal grizzly attacks than usual lately, due to increased populations of bears. The park rangers are good about posting warning sings in areas of known, recent bear activities, so be extra careful in those areas.
Good advice, and if you are planning on getting into the back country considering purchasing some bear spray. Highly effective in deterring attacks as a last measure.

The recent attacks are both an issue of increased bear population and the increase in visitors to the parks. Good article about this in this month's issue of Outside Magazine.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Some pictures:

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

Kept the bear spray close after seeing this one!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Some pictures from Glacier, unfortunately when we visited on our move from NC to Seattle the Going to the Sun road was still closed due to snow (this was late June 2008), so we only got a small taste of the park. We're planning on returning this summer.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Thanks for the pics Kevin and Andrew looks breath taking can't wait until July!!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
The Old Faithful Lodge and the Old Faithful Inn are both adjacent to Old Faithful, so you can visit them while you wait for it to explode! The Lodge is the one with the large second level patio overlooking the geyser. IMO, the Lodge is the best lodge in all of the national parks. Ninja would argue that the Ahwanhee, in Yosemite is better, and I can't really argue too much (but I still like the O.F. Lodge better).
Well yeah I would argue the Ahwanhee being better... They had a humidor
Full of Davidoff cigars!
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Well yeah I would argue the Ahwanhee being better... They had a humidor
Full of Davidoff cigars!
Wow sounds like a trip to Yosemite is in my future:-)
Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
A double rainbow...WHAT DOES IT MEAN??
Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Green with envy