Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #21
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Fresh Rolled Cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
The AJ Fresh Rolled cigars are one of the best cigars you can get for the money.
Well worth it. I am burning through a bundle of coronas and plan on buying more.
Do not hesitate!!!!!

Also, the Perdomo fresh rolled are great too.
Ok, thanks.
so are these actually a fresh rolled cigar and I should smoke them all right away or would I be ok to store them?
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Ok, thanks.
so are these actually a fresh rolled cigar and I should smoke them all right away or would I be ok to store them?
You should be fine storing them. I'm assuming the 'fresh rolled' just means these bad boys were rolled and then sent out almost immediately.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

RG Lonsdales boxes have something written about fresh cigars. I think they say within 2 months or after one year. Don't have a box in front of me to look at.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

IMHO, none of the products mentioned above would qualify as being "fresh-rolled", and that nomenclature is meant as a marketing tool rather than an apt description. If this is the case, they should be fine to smoke at once, or at least after a brief rest from the shipping shock ROTT.

As for what I would consider to truly be freshed-rolled cigars, it is my understanding that they should either be smoked immediately or left to age for at least 6 months. "Fresh" tobacco , even that which has been aged before the rolling process, needs to gas out ammonia, and for a time this will adversely affect the taste of the product. Once that ageing period has passed, the cigar should recover most of its initial taste, and may even improve, much like a fine wine, with proper storage.

That's my , and probably worth every penny.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
IMHO, none of the products mentioned above would qualify as being "fresh-rolled", and that nomenclature is meant as a marketing tool rather than an apt description. If this is the case, they should be fine to smoke at once, or at least after a brief rest from the shipping shock ROTT.

As for what I would consider to truly be freshed-rolled cigars, it is my understanding that they should either be smoked immediately or left to age for at least 6 months. "Fresh" tobacco , even that which has been aged before the rolling process, needs to gas out ammonia, and for a time this will adversely affect the taste of the product. Once that ageing period has passed, the cigar should recover most of its initial taste, and may even improve, much like a fine wine, with proper storage.

That's my , and probably worth every penny.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

They roll em fresh down here in Tampa on the streets...some good some bad. More of an impulse buy than anything else...especially after a few drinks! I've always enjoyed them. Just something cool about watching a guy roll you a cigar and lightin' her up right after.
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Close by in downtown Chucktown, Lianos Dos Palmas rolls 'em fresh daily. They're great as soon as the pectin dries.
I just noticed this thread, and you beat me to the punch! These are ALL rolled with tobacco that is at least 4 years aged (per the owner). I've smoked them fresh from the roller on two different occasions in the shop. Both were given to me by the owner, who sat and smoked one with me on both occasions. Both were excellent. Next time I'm in Charleston, it's a sure bet I'll be smoking my third one fresh outta the blocks!!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

Fresh rolled to me is smoked within the first 30 days. Then, the aging process begins. sometimes it's a month, maybe 2 or 3 or more before they go into the "Sick Period" which is a "No-Smoke" period. The 'sick-period' is usually less than one year. Then, it's a cigar worth smoking, again. Smoke them FRESH or wait until they're ready (after the 1-year period). Fresh Rolled is a unique experience. Try it! Keep some for the one-year plus in your humidor and smoke to compare. You'll see. Cigars change with age. This "Fresh-Rolled" aspect is a great taste test.

Here's my opinion:
I'd like to see more cigar manufactures stamp the box with the "ROLL" date! Like the guys do in Cuba. Good idea! ??

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #29
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

IMHO, "fresh rolled" in the parlance of most US catalogs means absolutely nothing. It is merely a marketing gimmick, like any of the other descriptive terms they use loosely.

Consider that it may take 30 days or more after a cigar is rolled on the table until the entire order is ready to ship to the US warehouse. Shipping time and customs clearance may take another 30 days or more. Catalog printing lead time of 30 more days(probably more) and then processing and shipment of your order. Under ideal circumstances a "fresh rolled" cigar is at least 100 days or more off the table. And that is assuming that you receive the stock last into the warehouse. Most companies ship first in, first out, so you would be receiving stock from their previous shipment.

Unless you saw it come off the rollers table, good luck with "fresh rolled"
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #30
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I had no idea aging begins after a cigar is rolled.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #31
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I have had fresh rolled cigars a few times. Once at a Don Pepin cigar event where Don Pepin and friends were rolling cigars. They were fantastic -- but mostly because of the whole event ambience.

The other only truly fresh rolled cigars I have had are from a roller at Sosa Cigars (Downtown Disney, Orlando). The roller is there Friday and Saturday afternoons. The cigars are pretty good for what they are.

If you did not see it being rolled, then it's not "Fresh Rolled"...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #32
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I was at a Symantec sponsored dinner party once and they had a cigar roller there. The cigars weren't bad. Excellent construction, but very mild. I find that fresh rolled cigars are often well crafted, but it comes down to the blend.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Cigar.com has AJ Fernandez fresh rolled for 39.99 shipped. Toro sized. Mazos of 20.